This Rule NEEDS to change TSSAA!

FridayMainEvent

The thing is this;   Once you get past the first 2 rounds, seeds are no longer a barometer used to dictate who gets to host.  You are now outside your little bubble so to speak and are playing a playoff game against another team that is also UNDEFEATED in the playoffs.   A regular season seed in my opinion can only be carried so far.   It's the quarterfinals and a whole new season.   We know that most 1st round and 2nd round games are usually lopsided.  It's not a perfect system but none will be.  

Another thinking out loud:    Oakland is traveling to Maryville this Friday.   Yes,  both are #1 seeds but hang on a minute.   Oakland beat Maryville during the regular season.  Some would then argue that game should count for something and Oakland should get to host.  If we do that then the regular season match up with these 2 great programs may never get scheduled in the first place.  We have to draw the line somewhere at some point.   And you have to drop the seeds somewhere at some point.  That point is the quarterfinal.   

On 11/20/2017 at 1:37 PM, Southtowner said:

Another thinking out loud:    Oakland is traveling to Maryville this Friday.   Yes,  both are #1 seeds but hang on a minute.   Oakland beat Maryville during the regular season.  Some would then argue that game should count for something and Oakland should get to host.  If we do that then the regular season match up with these 2 great programs may never get scheduled in the first place.  We have to draw the line somewhere at some point.   And you have to drop the seeds somewhere at some point.  That point is the quarterfinal.   

maybe it's time to look at east and west play off seedings, 1-16, after playoff qualifiers are determined (still top 4 from each region).

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/18/2017 at 2:36 PM, FreeAgent11 said:
Five of the twelve Division 1 Semi-final matches have a team involved that did not win their region title. That's a good thing...

In my opinion the worse rule in the TSSAA is the alternate Home team format for rounds 3 and 4. I think this should only be used in situations involving teams with the same playoff seedings. All other games should be determined by playoff seedings (or region finish) Teams that finish higher in region play should not travel to teams that finished lower. Here are three examples for next Friday:

Second seeded Rockwood host region 3 Champs Tyner Academy. Rockwood has an amazing team as their victory over #1 ranked Meigs County last night proves that. My issue is a team which did not even win their own region should not be hosting a team which did. Anytime a higher seed is playing a lower seed the higher seed SHOULD host. The alternate home games between quads should only apply if you have two teams which entered the playoffs with the same seeding.

Second Seeded Springfield hosts red hot Haywood County. Never should a region champ be required to travel halfway across the State to play a region runner up that's just wrong.

My third and WORSE example here is region Champs Knoxville Catholic being forced to play at Knoxville Central. Granted, this is a very short road trip, but you've got a region champ being forced to travel to an 8-5 team that finished FOURTH in their region. Did they get hot in the post season? Absolutely. Should a region champ be forced to play a road game at a fourth seed? NEVER not in your wildest dreams.

I've harped on this forever and it remains one of the worse rules in the TSSAA pertaining to post season football. I hope at some point they revisit this and set it right. SEEDING DETERMINES HOME TEAM WHENEVER POSSIBLE!

End Rant......

So if a team wins a weak region they should be rewarded by getting a home game against a team who didn't do as well in a tougher region???

9 hours ago, highschoolfbfan777 said:

So if a team wins a weak region they should be rewarded by getting a home game against a team who didn't do as well in a tougher region???

Yes!  To flip it around on you, should a dominant team which happened to be  placed in a weak region be penalized by traveling to a 4 seed that got hot in the post season, but lost 5 games during the regular season??  We can play this "what if" game all day long.   Bottom line in my opinion is if you didn't win your region tough or easy, you shouldn't host a school that did. 

On 11/18/2017 at 3:22 PM, FreeAgent11 said:

I don't disagree that Catholic should be Division 2, but that wasn't the point of the post.   Anyone who feels a region champ should travel to a fourth seed for a semi-final game need to lay off the weed...

I think TSSAA must be smoking something to propose that a student athlete should be ejected and removed from contest for 2 games in the event a relative is ejected as a spectator! I mean really? Heck some of these small towns everybody is related, lol. Don't share who your 3rd cousin once removed is.....good grief. We are dealing with idiots here!

• Like 1

The format is fine as is. Meddling is not needed.

So, a team that has a better record or won their region has to go on the road for the quarterfinals or semi-finals - who cares. If they deserve to be there, they will win the game. It is part of the advancing deep in the playoffs experience..going somewhere different to play an opponent you normally wouldn't play.

Besides, the reward for winning their region is to host the first two rounds.  

24 minutes ago, NWTNExpert said:

The format is fine as is. Meddling is not needed.

So, a team that has a better record or won their region has to go on the road for the quarterfinals or semi-finals - who cares. If they deserve to be there, they will win the game. It is part of the advancing deep in the playoffs experience..going somewhere different to play an opponent you normally wouldn't play.

Besides, the reward for winning their region is to host the first two rounds.  

"meddling"??  Interesting choice of words.   So were on a MESSAGE board intended to spark conversation and debate and an opinion not of your own is deemed "meddling"... interesting.

On 11/20/2017 at 2:37 PM, Southtowner said:

This rule was changed a few years back in the "Super 32" days. On the 6A boards, we call it the Maryville Rule. It used to go to the higher seed, but the squeeky  wheel in middle TN cried foul and It was changed. The "SEC of High School Football" said they beat themselves up, because they were all so tough. 

2 hours ago, Red Rebels said:

This rule was changed a few years back in the "Super 32" days. On the 6A boards, we call it the Maryville Rule. It used to go to the higher seed, but the squeeky  wheel in middle TN cried foul and It was changed. The "SEC of High School Football" said they beat themselves up, because they were all so tough. 

I'll get to the Skeeter one of these days.  Wouldn't mind seeing the home opener. 

• Like 1