This Rule NEEDS to change TSSAA!

FridayMainEvent

Five of the twelve Division 1 Semi-final matches have a team involved that did not win their region title. That's a good thing...

In my opinion the worse rule in the TSSAA is the alternate Home team format for rounds 3 and 4. I think this should only be used in situations involving teams with the same playoff seedings. All other games should be determined by playoff seedings (or region finish) Teams that finish higher in region play should not travel to teams that finished lower. Here are three examples for next Friday:

Second seeded Rockwood host region 3 Champs Tyner Academy. Rockwood has an amazing team as their victory over #1 ranked Meigs County last night proves that. My issue is a team which did not even win their own region should not be hosting a team which did. Anytime a higher seed is playing a lower seed the higher seed SHOULD host. The alternate home games between quads should only apply if you have two teams which entered the playoffs with the same seeding.

Second Seeded Springfield hosts red hot Haywood County. Never should a region champ be required to travel halfway across the State to play a region runner up that's just wrong.

My third and WORSE example here is region Champs Knoxville Catholic being forced to play at Knoxville Central. Granted, this is a very short road trip, but you've got a region champ being forced to travel to an 8-5 team that finished FOURTH in their region. Did they get hot in the post season? Absolutely. Should a region champ be forced to play a road game at a fourth seed? NEVER not in your wildest dreams.

I've harped on this forever and it remains one of the worse rules in the TSSAA pertaining to post season football. I hope at some point they revisit this and set it right. SEEDING DETERMINES HOME TEAM WHENEVER POSSIBLE!

End Rant......

9 minutes ago, wpasi said:

Me too it shouldn't get any certain team every year. By the way Catholic should be in div 2 or have to play all their games on the road lol

I don't disagree that Catholic should be Division 2, but that wasn't the point of the post.   Anyone who feels a region champ should travel to a fourth seed for a semi-final game need to lay off the weed...

7 minutes ago, FreeAgent11 said:

So you think a region champ should travel to a fourth seed???  Come on Southtowner, I know you better than that.   I also like the rotation when it involves to equally seeded teams.   

I like the rotation.  We know where we are going when the season starts.  Now, I wouldn't go all ballistic if it were to change.  

Why should anyone from Rutherford county have to go to Maryville EVERY year if they happen to finish 2nd in their region?  

Regions aren't all stacked the same.   Just rotate it.  It's simplistic.  I would like for you to bring this up with the coaches you interview on you future shows. I'd like to hear their input on this.  And how they think it should be done.  

11 minutes ago, Southtowner said:

I like the rotation.  We know where we are going when the season starts.  Now, I wouldn't go all ballistic if it were to change.  

Why should anyone from Rutherford county have to go to Maryville EVERY year if they happen to finish 2nd in their region?  

Regions aren't all stacked the same.   Just rotate it.  It's simplistic.  I would like for you to bring this up with the coaches you interview on you future shows. I'd like to hear their input on this.  And how they think it should be done.  

I am with Southtowner.. Looking at it from a team like Rockwood's view I think it is fair for them to host the semifinal.. They have already played two on the road so I feel like they deserve it from a gate/money standpoint too. The higher seed has already hosted a few games and the other has hosted 1 game.. I feel like they should get it if it falls on their year if a team makes a run like this 

4 minutes ago, bluedevil6913 said:

I am with Southtowner.. Looking at it from a team like Rockwood's view I think it is fair for them to host the semifinal.. They have already played two on the road so I feel like they deserve it from a gate/money standpoint too. The higher seed has already hosted a few games and the other has hosted 1 game.. I feel like they should get it if it falls on their year if a team makes a run like this 

They would of played all of them at home if they had won the region.   That's my point!  Your rewarded with home games for winning your region.    Speaking toward Southtowners comment:   If you finish second in your region every year and travel to Maryville every year, I'm fine with that.  That means your beating the team that caused you to finish in second place each time.   You should of beaten them the first time and you'd be hosting every other year under my idea also...

2 hours ago, FreeAgent11 said:

I don't disagree that Catholic should be Division 2, but that wasn't the point of the post.   Anyone who feels a region champ should travel to a fourth seed for a semi-final game need to lay off the weed...

Don't smoke any weed my job won't allow it plus (my wife would kill me) how about 4th seed should never host.