This Rule NEEDS to change TSSAA!

FridayMainEvent

Leave it like it is...now I don't like the rotation starting this year for championship weekend. Reason being Division 2 has always had nearly two weeks to prep, if they wanted to do this T$$AA should have moved D2 back a week to where everybody's Semifinals was the same weekend. I would have left D2 on Thursday, rotated the Fri./Sat. for D1 and then rotate the times that each class plays on said day across the board. 

On 11/18/2017 at 1:36 PM, FreeAgent11 said:
Five of the twelve Division 1 Semi-final matches have a team involved that did not win their region title. That's a good thing...

In my opinion the worse rule in the TSSAA is the alternate Home team format for rounds 3 and 4. I think this should only be used in situations involving teams with the same playoff seedings. All other games should be determined by playoff seedings (or region finish) Teams that finish higher in region play should not travel to teams that finished lower. Here are three examples for next Friday:

Second seeded Rockwood host region 3 Champs Tyner Academy. Rockwood has an amazing team as their victory over #1 ranked Meigs County last night proves that. My issue is a team which did not even win their own region should not be hosting a team which did. Anytime a higher seed is playing a lower seed the higher seed SHOULD host. The alternate home games between quads should only apply if you have two teams which entered the playoffs with the same seeding.

Second Seeded Springfield hosts red hot Haywood County. Never should a region champ be required to travel halfway across the State to play a region runner up that's just wrong.

My third and WORSE example here is region Champs Knoxville Catholic being forced to play at Knoxville Central. Granted, this is a very short road trip, but you've got a region champ being forced to travel to an 8-5 team that finished FOURTH in their region. Did they get hot in the post season? Absolutely. Should a region champ be forced to play a road game at a fourth seed? NEVER not in your wildest dreams.

I've harped on this forever and it remains one of the worse rules in the TSSAA pertaining to post season football. I hope at some point they revisit this and set it right. SEEDING DETERMINES HOME TEAM WHENEVER POSSIBLE!

End Rant......

I disagree.  This would ignore the difference in strength of the regions.  Current rotation model is a fairer method.

8 minutes ago, CABacker said:

I disagree.  This would ignore the difference in strength of the regions.  Current rotation model is a fairer method.

Actually, you are incorrect.   Under my idea strength of region is a non-factor.   You win your region, you host every other year.   Plain and simple.   If you don't win your region, you travel.   Has nothing to do with strength of region.   Has to do with being rewarded for winning your region.

On 11/18/2017 at 2:36 PM, FreeAgent11 said:
Five of the twelve Division 1 Semi-final matches have a team involved that did not win their region title. That's a good thing...

In my opinion the worse rule in the TSSAA is the alternate Home team format for rounds 3 and 4. I think this should only be used in situations involving teams with the same playoff seedings. All other games should be determined by playoff seedings (or region finish) Teams that finish higher in region play should not travel to teams that finished lower. Here are three examples for next Friday:

Second seeded Rockwood host region 3 Champs Tyner Academy. Rockwood has an amazing team as their victory over #1 ranked Meigs County last night proves that. My issue is a team which did not even win their own region should not be hosting a team which did. Anytime a higher seed is playing a lower seed the higher seed SHOULD host. The alternate home games between quads should only apply if you have two teams which entered the playoffs with the same seeding.

Second Seeded Springfield hosts red hot Haywood County. Never should a region champ be required to travel halfway across the State to play a region runner up that's just wrong.

My third and WORSE example here is region Champs Knoxville Catholic being forced to play at Knoxville Central. Granted, this is a very short road trip, but you've got a region champ being forced to travel to an 8-5 team that finished FOURTH in their region. Did they get hot in the post season? Absolutely. Should a region champ be forced to play a road game at a fourth seed? NEVER not in your wildest dreams.

I've harped on this forever and it remains one of the worse rules in the TSSAA pertaining to post season football. I hope at some point they revisit this and set it right. SEEDING DETERMINES HOME TEAM WHENEVER POSSIBLE!

End Rant......

Been that way since 1993. Would not expect a change

1 hour ago, CABacker said:

Exactly,  I do not understand why Free Agent can't see that.

Nobody said the second place finisher in 1 region was weaker than the champion in another region.   I feel like I'm beating my head against a brick wall here.    If they were second place or third or even fourth place, they were not the BEST in their own region.   Let me flip your argument so maybe you'll see my point:

What if Alcoa is in one region with 5 really terrible teams.   They march right through their region and win the quad.    Quad 1 consists of 8 teams (all of which are better than the 5 bad teams in Alcoa's region)  The fourth seed wins out and reaches the quarterfinals.    Is it Alcoa's fault the other teams are bad in their region??   Of course not.   Could that 4 seed beat Alcoa?   Absolutely!   But, we don't know that since they haven't played each other.    So how do we decide who is the home team????   In my system, we reward the guy who won his region since that the only REAL criteria we have to go on.  

In your system, we "TAKE TURNS".....   I'm amazed this is such a difficult concept to grasp.    I'm gonna leave this topic since you are 100% correct, CABacker..... You'll never convince me this is a better concept than I'm advocating.

1 hour ago, Indian said:

Strength of region is definitely a factor if a runner up in one region is better than the champ of the neighboring region .

How do you know that, Indian.   How can you say the Champ isn't better than every team in the "better" region?  This I know, the runner up wasn't the best in his own region.   That is all you know as well.

1 hour ago, Indian said:

Strength of region is definitely a factor if a runner up in one region is better than the champ of the neighboring region .

My point is this:  Suppose Region 1 is perennially weak and the champ is therefore weaker than at least the top three teams in Regions 2.  If in the year Region 2 is supposed to host the third place team in Region 2 beats the first place team in Region 2 in the second round.  It would be unfair if that team had to travel.  In your scenario it is possible that a weaker team would host every year simply because they won a very weak region. ( This assumes that a team upsets the 1 seed of the opposite region in the years it would have hosted.)

26 minutes ago, Indian said:

You don't find out until if and when they play, that's why rotating is best. 

I like the rotation.   The one rotation I can't stand is the championship dates.  This is high school football. Any group of kids that have played 14 games should get a full week of preparation before they play their championship game.  I wish they had kept records of attendance for these games.  I would like to know if what they have in place now will affect the attendance numbers.   I guess we will know one way or the other because if the TSSAA changes it back that will just further illustrate to me that it has and  money was the reason.