8AA

UTRok

Here it is Nov 21st and no 8AA boys thread. This to me is a very hard year to rank the district. Several teams playing freshman and Sophomores. I think we may be half way before having a handle on it. I'm not sure if Smith, LA and Macon's football players have played in all of their early games this season or not. I think Macon will be the top team and LA number 2 if everyone is healthy; Smith has two good one to build on. I think UHS is starting 2 freshman and playing several more. They do have some size with a 6'4" freshman and a 6'3" senior. Smith still has King and Shepperson but they lost the one shooter that transferred. LA should be solid. The rest may be a toss-up or possibly a surprise may come from the bottom 4. Just my thought's at this early point before the season kicks off.

Macon

LA

Smith

UHS

York

Watertown

Cannon

Dekalb 

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

34 minutes ago, YAIDAD said:

Not sure what to think of YAI this year.  Gonna be a difficult year I’m sure.  We all need to be praying for a speedy recovery for their coach and also congrats to the team on a good good game and a great win tonight over Cumberland County 

What happened to YAI coach?? 

Not sure the early games 8AA teams are playing are really telling us anything. With coaching and player changes around the district seems quite a bit of shake up with some programs. York appears to be playing some of the better competition early but their loss to Monterey was puzzling. Has Smith county really lost 4 games in this early season? LA has been up and down so far. I see Macon lost to Stone Memorial who also beat York. UHS is 4-1 only loss coming from Warren county who also beat Cannon. I did see UHS play Shelbyville Friday and was a bit surprised they may be better than I expected. They started 3 freshman and played 4 or 5 freshman total and only have 1 or 2 seniors on the team. With a 6'5" freshman and a 6'3" junior they have some size. Looking forward to the season kicking off and some district play to see how it all shakes out this season.

(Not sure the early games 8AA teams are playing are really telling us anything. With coaching and player changes around the district seems quite a bit of shake up with some programs. York appears to be playing some of the better competition early but their loss to Monterey was puzzling. Has Smith county really lost 4 games in this early season? LA has been up and down so far. I see Macon lost to Stone Memorial who also beat York. UHS is 4-1 only loss coming from Warren county who also beat Cannon. I did see UHS play Shelbyville Friday and was a bit surprised they may be better than I expected. They started 3 freshman and played 4 or 5 freshman total and only have 1 or 2 seniors on the team. With a 6'5" freshman and a 6'3" junior they have some size. Looking forward to the season kicking off and some district play to see how it all shakes out this season. )

Why are you puzzled by the York loss to Monterey. Looks like every team in 8AA has lost to a team in 6A, except UHS who hasn't played any of them and Macon County who hasn't played either of the top 6A teams. I believe the top 2 or 3 teams in 6A could easily compete in 8AA    

2 hours ago, basecoach said:

Why are you puzzled by the York loss to Monterey. Looks like every team in 8AA has lost to a team in 6A, except UHS who hasn't played any of them and Macon County who hasn't played either of the top 6A teams. I believe the top 2 or 3 teams in 6A could easily compete in 8AA.

I guess it depends on who you consider top 6A teams. At this point Monterey and RBS are undefeated 6A teams.

This would the year district overall is weaker than it's been in sometime.

Edited by UTRok

I think you may have to get through the first half of the season to have an idea of what the order will be. Macon goes to Clay county tomorrow night. DeKalb is at Gordonsville tomorrow night. UHS is very young they start 2 or 3 freshman and have 2 juniors that have decent playing time from last year. I expect they will surprise some teams and look terrible against some teams. Smith and Cannon both have new coaches so that maybe a new wrinkle with both of them. Looking forward to some district games.