TSSAA please help with Officating

OrangeGuru

TSSAA has to come on board and do something to help in training officials  that work the basketball games for the sake of the girls and boys that play the game. I am not looking for perfection just consistency. But competence should be required. Each year for past 10 years I am amazed at the ever increasing lower and lower standard the games are called at.  Last night I witnessed the games in Henry County, I would have been ashamed to have those referees call a game if I was TSSAA or show up in our home gym and do what they did on the floor last night. TSSAA should adopt the system other states use and grade referees after each game with coaches having to file a report within 24 to 48 hours of the performance by each referee. Them eliminate the consistently bad reports after reviewing game film each school could provide.  Review and Replace needs to begin now. Its just sad that kids work so hard on both teams to be subjected to a referee would shouldn't be on the floor. It takes away from the game.

There are so many people out there that sit around and grip about officials. It is a hard job. They have to make a judgment call in about 1/2 a second. I haven't seen any malicious intent ever in a game with an official. Now I do believe they are human and can hold grudges against certain coaches, but I really think the have the best interest for the kids. At least I want to believe this.

The local officiating body in your area needs to put a veteran official with rookies to teach them the ins and outs. The training officials need are supposed to be gotten during summer practices and scrimmages. If there is a problem bigchief is right to much gripping and not enough helping. So if you want to help grab a whistle or find a young man and encourage him to help theses officials out. STOP HAMMERING THE ONES WE HAVE!!!  

8 hours ago, DCDadCoachFan said:

TSSAA has to come on board and do something to help in training officials  that work the basketball games for the sake of the girls and boys that play the game. I am not looking for perfection just consistency. But competence should be required. Each year for past 10 years I am amazed at the ever increasing lower and lower standard the games are called at.  Last night I witnessed the games in Henry County, I would have been ashamed to have those referees call a game if I was TSSAA or show up in our home gym and do what they did on the floor last night. TSSAA should adopt the system other states use and grade referees after each game with coaches having to file a report within 24 to 48 hours of the performance by each referee. Them eliminate the consistently bad reports after reviewing game film each school could provide.  Review and Replace needs to begin now. Its just sad that kids work so hard on both teams to be subjected to a referee would shouldn't be on the floor. It takes away from the game.

Review and replace with who? Major shortage of officials in multiple sports across the state, what is your solution? 

Solution start the younger, less experience refs in JR high and JV, but you have to help them understand the importance in getting the call right. EVERYONE makes mistakes just learn from them. I witnessed a game last night that the officials were to old to get up and down the court and were out of position to make several calls. The final score was 105-109. Areas need to scout these teams and put officials in games they can call. I am blaming area coordinators on these issues. But once again we need more people to sign up and help. I personally referee Peewee basketball on Sat. And in 2 years I plan on joining the TSSAA officials but until my son finishes High School I will be in the stands. WE NEED MORE 20-30 YEAR OLDS HELPING OFFICIATE. and that's the real solution.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tnrazrbac10 said:

Solution start the younger, less experience refs in JR high and JV, but you have to help them understand the importance in getting the call right. EVERYONE makes mistakes just learn from them. I witnessed a game last night that the officials were to old to get up and down the court and were out of position to make several calls. The final score was 105-109. Areas need to scout these teams and put officials in games they can call. I am blaming area coordinators on these issues. But once again we need more people to sign up and help. I personally referee Peewee basketball on Sat. And in 2 years I plan on joining the TSSAA officials but until my son finishes High School I will be in the stands. WE NEED MORE 20-30 YEAR OLDS HELPING OFFICIATE. and that's the real solution.

Nobody wants to call games because of the crap that they take. People yelling, threating, and degrading them for 4 hours straight. Most of the time it's unwarranted. Of course, you need to me in some kind of shape to keep up with the game. 

Let's say your 28 years old with a full-time job and a family. Would you want to use your Tuesday and Friday nights getting cursed and screamed at for 4 hours for $70 or whatever it is? Probably not.

I umpire baseball and it can be miserable when you're doing a good job. If you or your partner are off... it's unbearable at times.

21 hours ago, bigchief said:

Every referee association is hiring. Why don't you sign up? There is an extreme shortage of refs over the entire state. You get what is available.

21 hours ago, bigchief said:

Also the TSSAA has nothing to do with hiring and firing of officials. That is done by your local officiating association. TSSAA uses what is brought to them.

20 hours ago, Tnrazrbac10 said:

There are so many people out there that sit around and grip about officials. It is a hard job. They have to make a judgment call in about 1/2 a second. I haven't seen any malicious intent ever in a game with an official. Now I do believe they are human and can hold grudges against certain coaches, but I really think the have the best interest for the kids. At least I want to believe this.

The local officiating body in your area needs to put a veteran official with rookies to teach them the ins and outs. The training officials need are supposed to be gotten during summer practices and scrimmages. If there is a problem bigchief is right to much gripping and not enough helping. So if you want to help grab a whistle or find a young man and encourage him to help theses officials out. STOP HAMMERING THE ONES WE HAVE!!!  

The easy argument is always say to someone " well you get a whistle and get out there and help" .  I would love to sign up today. I fully intend to when my children are no longer involved in high school sports. Officials should not have family involved or work for school systems to eliminate and appearance of favoritism.

So I might have learned something here also. You say local associations  hire the officials and TSSAA has nothing to do with them ? I can not see how that can be the way TSSAA controls down to the penny everthing else and regulates the sports in high school.  If they truly want to make the games better for the kids then someone needs to get a grip on it.

Maybe they do make a call in a 1/2 second, but consistently wrong isn't doing anyone, kids, coaches, schools, TSSAA and especially the officials any good at all. I have sat with other refs in the stands just their watching the games  and watched them shake their head time after time. A review system is needed and if there is a consistent issue with one official them help can be given.

17 hours ago, mondo44 said:

Review and replace with who? Major shortage of officials in multiple sports across the state, what is your solution? 

I have no doubt about being a shortage. You see the same guys doing multiple sports. Are they looking to keep the gigs all to themselves? Maybe while at those events some recruiting  could be done and gain some folks who are truly knowledgeable about the game itself and not start from scratches?  There are some Moms and Dads that have a pretty good grip on the sports their kid plays and could do  good job if someone was to say one word about it. I

There is no one group getting all the gigs. I started Umpiring High School Baseball last year , and trust me there are more than enough games to go around. I feel the reason you see the same ones is because they are the only ones signing up. It is the responsibility of the official to get the training needed to be good. TSSAA has clinics but you have to be responsible enough to attend. So with the shortage they still have to allow these not attending to officiate. And I have tried to get people to sign up to officiate, but they say the same thing " THERE IS NOT ENOUGH MONEY TO GET ME ON THAT COURT AND TAKE THAT ABUSE."

TSSAA puts on clinics and even if they do not show up they still get to call games? Seems TSSAA could if wanted change that. Those not showing up for clinics are just in it for the check maybe and it shows up in the officating.  I see the same guys doing football, basketball, baseball and volleyball and you are saying they do not have any type of training or clinics ? That's the start of the problem right there. 

i participate on both sides of the arguement. I am a high school boys coach, so i dont do any scholastic refereeing.  I am part of an association, so i mostly do aau and rec league stuff.  I attend the trainings and everything so im able to maintain my certifications.  With that being said i can also agree with the fact that the refereeing hasnt been up to par in more cases than not.  As an official i hold them to a higher level and expect more.  No more than would be expected of myself however.  The shortage has really hindered the quality.  The money is good, when youre getting sufficient work.  The problem in my area stems from the assigners.  They tend to schedule the same people regularly.  Some get 3-4 games a week, where others get 3-4 a month, if that.  It becomes more of a waste of time if your not getting the work.  So people chose not to do it anymore.  At the end of the day there are good refs with good intentions, but on the other hand there are bad refs.  i have seen a lot more bad refs of late