2017 Best Teams In The State (All Classes)

Spartan4Life

Now that the season had concluded who are your top 10 in the State? I've got the following. 

1. BA (D2-AAA)

2. MBA (D2-AAA)

3. Maryville (6A)

4. Oakland (6A)

5. McCallie (D2-AAA)

6. Knoxville Catholic (5A)

7. Greenville (4A)

8. Lausanne (D2-AA)

9. Alcoa (3A)

10. Blackman/Farragut/Oak Ridge/Beech (Any of these I could make arguments for)

I would have liked to see Maryville play Oakland in the 6A final.   Having watched Knox Catholic I am wondering how they lost to Maryville (I know it was early when they played) because their size looked much more like a D2 than a D1 school.  That is  the reality that many people do not seem to grasp when comparing D1 to D2 which is the players  of the D2 schools by and large are just so much bigger than those of any D1 school and for 4 qtrs  it gets quite tiresome on the OL/DL trying to push around guys that outweigh you by 30-60lbs.  Even the skilled players are bigger top to bottom D2 vs D1 on a relative basis.   A lot of the teams on your list are well coached and disciplined and have solid skilled players but as they say size matters and it would be very hard for any of these D1 teams to go toe to toe with many of the biggest D2 schools for a whole game because of that significant difference.

Since this is a D2 board I will also say that I  think that McCallie is going to be extremely dangerous next year.  If they can ever figure out how to travel a bit better and get up for playing on the road I can see them making a run. 

2 hours ago, Spartan4Life said:

Now that the season had concluded who are your top 10 in the State? I've got the following. 

1. BA (D2-AAA)

2. MBA (D2-AAA)

3. Maryville (6A)

4. Oakland (6A)

5. McCallie (D2-AAA)

6. Knoxville Catholic (5A)

7. Greenville (4A)

8. Lausanne (D2-AA)

9. Alcoa (3A)

10. Blackman/Farragut/Oak Ridge/Beech (Any of these I could make arguments for)

I still would need to see any of 6-10 beat ensworth to believe it or CBHS - idk just my 2 cents.

35 minutes ago, g33 said:

I would have liked to see Maryville play Oakland in the 6A final.   Having watched Knox Catholic I am wondering how they lost to Maryville (I know it was early when they played) because their size looked much more like a D2 than a D1 school.  That is  the reality that many people do not seem to grasp when comparing D1 to D2 which is the players  of the D2 schools by and large are just so much bigger than those of any D1 school and for 4 qtrs  it gets quite tiresome on the OL/DL trying to push around guys that outweigh you by 30-60lbs.  Even the skilled players are bigger top to bottom D2 vs D1 on a relative basis.   A lot of the teams on your list are well coached and disciplined and have solid skilled players but as they say size matters and it would be very hard for any of these D1 teams to go toe to toe with many of the biggest D2 schools for a whole game because of that significant difference.

Since this is a D2 board I will also say that I  think that McCallie is going to be extremely dangerous next year.  If they can ever figure out how to travel a bit better and get up for playing on the road I can see them making a run. 

Their qb is so fast - if ba did not have such a fast d fense he may have done little more damage than what he did.

He can pass somewhat but they are fairly one dimensional - I’m not sure what the other teams have back - ba loses quite a bit for sure 

8 minutes ago, baylorbigdog1976 said:

I still would need to see any of 6-10 beat ensworth to believe it or CBHS - idk just my 2 cents.

To be clear these were my ranking for this year not for next year. I think Ensworth CBHS and Baylor could play with anyone on any given night. But CBHS barley beating Father Ryan and Baylor and Ensworth having a few losses on their schedule that should not have happened I omitted them from my top 10.

I personally think Lausanne would give Knox Catholic all they wanted. They are fast big and athletic on D and could match up with Catholic. Catholics Defense isn't the best and I think Gray would run all over them. The more I think about Lausanne the higher I actually want to put them. 

22 minutes ago, Spartan4Life said:

To be clear these were my ranking for this year not for next year. I think Ensworth CBHS and Baylor could play with anyone on any given night. But CBHS barley beating Father Ryan and Baylor and Ensworth having a few losses on their schedule that should not have happened I omitted them from my top 10.

I personally think Lausanne would give Knox Catholic all they wanted. They are fast big and athletic on D and could match up with Catholic. Catholics Defense isn't the best and I think Gray would run all over them. The more I think about Lausanne the higher I actually want to put them. 

Would be a high scoring game but I’m not sure L would stop catholic either - cbhs did beat cbhs in mo - number one ranked team in mo and top 25 unapproved website I believe. Mba barely escaped there for the w and it was cbhs only loss.

just think maybe it’s worth a rethink given those facts . I do not believe L would beat them either . 

Edited by baylorbigdog1976

21 minutes ago, baylorbigdog1976 said:

Would be a high scoring game but I’m not sure L would stop catholic either - cbhs did beat cbhs in mo - number one ranked team in mo and top 25 unapproved website I believe. Mba barely escaped there for the w and it was cbhs only loss.

just think maybe it’s worth a rethink given those facts . I do not believe L would beat them either . 

I just have a hard time trusting a team that barley beat Father Ryan haha. But valid points regardless. 

I think CBHS is definitely somewhere on that list, especially considering their only loss was by 7 to the team you have at #2. FWIW, CBHS and Lausanne scrimmaged in the preseason (I know that’s doesn’t mean too much), but it was a very close, physical scrimmage. I believe Lausanne could compete with (not necessarily beat) any team in the state aside from BA.

24 minutes ago, WilsonJr1990 said:

I think CBHS is definitely somewhere on that list, especially considering their only loss was by 7 to the team you have at #2. FWIW, CBHS and Lausanne scrimmaged in the preseason (I know that’s doesn’t mean too much), but it was a very close, physical scrimmage. I believe Lausanne could compete with (not necessarily beat) any team in the state aside from BA.

them co-opers r good with BA for a bit if they keep they wits bout'em.....no CBHS shouldnt b......but Spartys Red Raiders should b

glad to see u come back outta the closet sparty.....missed ya

Booger just sayin giphy.gif

14 hours ago, STARSNBARS said:

BA would handle Maryville pretty easily. Common opponent being Knoxville Catholic.

Maryville 49 Knox Catholic 42 (down to the wire)

BA 50 Knox Catholic 14 (easy mercy rule)

Maryville is in no way better than BA. Not even close. Because Maryville has good coaching they wouldn't get blown out but BA would win by 14 easy.

Sonny Moore's ranking have and always will be wrong.