Pin-TN Rankings

ObserverW

I'm beginning to question the validity of these rankings.  138 has had two kids ranked from Summit for a while now.  Are they that good that they get two ranked kids? 

1. Cody Matthews (Cleveland)
2. Daniel Bradford (Blackman)
3. Nathan Porter (Summit)
4. Job Dooley (Franklin)
5. Luke Story (Science Hill)
6. Cole Klingensmith (Summit)

Brown is not at 138 for Halls.  Its Ian Morgan who has beaten #6 Frye.

Burns is at 138 not 132.

Wysong at 132 is not eligible this season.

Matthews  #1 at 138?  HA!

Horst #1 and Borders #6 even with Borders win over Horst?

Mann hasn't been at 113, hes wrestling 126

Harter hasn't been at 152 all season, hes 160/170

Whiteside #4 at 145? Based on?

Wilson #1 at 160?

• Upvote 1

There is a lot of validity to what you are saying. There seems to be a lot of easy fixes that aren’t changing in those rankings and it is disappointing. 

However, as far as Mann goes, he will be 113. He has wrestled 113 already this season but we are currently  weighing him in at 120 and bumping up to 126 to better fill our dual lineup until after Christmas when he will go back down to 115. 

Another one is Tony Wilson who has been ranked at 160 but has been wrestling 152 all season. 

I have tried multiple times to send Hamm information to help validate his rankings but he chooses not to make adjustments. So I’m not going to waste me time sending information anymore. I just take these rankings with a grain of salt and it gives me a good idea of some kids who have sparked some sort of attention. That’s about it at this point. 

Edited by KingGreene

KG, I approach rankings the same way.  This is not a knock on Coach Hamm, but one has to approach it like a job in order to really do rankings the right way.  To anyone holding down a day job this takes an inordinate amount of time and attention.  In high school where so many wrestlers like Mann often wrestle up until the end of the season it becomes an even more difficult task.  It's not realistic to expect one person to keep accurate track of all the wrestlers at all the weights all the time in all three divisions.  It's just not a one man job.  Despite that I think the Pin-TN rankings are great because they are generally on target, and they spur discussion and debate amongst fans.  They also serve to motivate those wrestlers who just missed making the list.  So I too take them with a grain of salt but I appreciate the job Coach Hamm does.  I don't get hung up on the order.   For instance, I thought Austin Antcliffe was one of the better wrestlers at 182 this year (even though he is wrestling up a weight much like Mann).  I was wondering if he would be recognized at some point and sure enough he has popped up at #6 in the last version put out.  Mission accomplished.  

• Upvote 1

Where are you sending Hamm these updates?? I will gladly screenshot my emails here to show because I do NOT recall getting ANYTHING about 138lbers  in my email. It was not until THIS WEEK that I was told from someone directly related to the Cleveland program about 138:145, and I have not had the moment to do the update. 

Actual statements like these are NOT in my email. 

Lastly, I ask what rankings are actually valid? In every sport, highly ranked teams or individuals are beaten by individuals or teams that are ranked lower. A LOT of time and effort are put into these that only a few know because they have personally tried.  As I grew up in Tennessee, we had rankings for wrestling my entire high school career. I always appreciated them. At the end of the ‘99 season, the person who did them decided to step down. I stepped in and decided to take them over. I did so because if not, they would no longer exist. Other rankings have also come and gone, but my rankings have always existed. Now I will not tell ANYONE they are valid. I believe the only true ranking that holds validity, would be the placements at the end of the state tournament. If you are willing to help, the way you have here, send updates and results to hammrankings@gmail.com. I do not check coach t regularly, but I do check my email regularly. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Twofdr said:

If you are talking about Pin-TN rankings....Summit is AAA...Brentwood is D-2.

As far as D-2 team rankings....I'm not sure Scott is doing team rankings.

Just my obversation.

There is 2 Brentwood’s.  Brentwood High is AAA and Brentwood Academy is D2.  It was Brentwood High that beat summit. 

On 12/15/2017 at 11:10 PM, ObserverW said:

I'm beginning to question the validity of these rankings.  138 has had two kids ranked from Summit for a while now.  Are they that good that they get two ranked kids? 

1. Cody Matthews (Cleveland)
2. Daniel Bradford (Blackman)
3. Nathan Porter (Summit)
4. Job Dooley (Franklin)
5. Luke Story (Science Hill)
6. Cole Klingensmith (Summit)

Brown is not at 138 for Halls.  Its Ian Morgan who has beaten #6 Frye.

Burns is at 138 not 132.

Wysong at 132 is not eligible this season.

Matthews  #1 at 138?  HA!

Horst #1 and Borders #6 even with Borders win over Horst?

Mann hasn't been at 113, hes wrestling 126

Harter hasn't been at 152 all season, hes 160/170

Whiteside #4 at 145? Based on?

Wilson #1 at 160?

What about Bryce pond ??? He loss 2 matches to nationally ranked kids no ways he should be ranked.