Johnny Drennan `85 Memorial

WrestlingGod

16 minutes ago, cobrakid8 said:

No, I do not have a kid in wrestling and I coached wrestling for years and through the headgear throwing, the little 8 year old temper tantrums I would have booted him a while ago! Yes it’s great to give kids a chance to learn from their mistakes, but considering this has been 4-5 chances between costing his team points, illegally slamming a kid already this year and a headgear thrown already BEFORE his little tabtrum this weekend I know he hasn’t learned a lesson! I am sure you are a Bradley fan and without him the team isn’t all that good so you try and keep him on as much as possible, but the way he has acted for YEARS now has shown to me he doesn’t care much for his team and only about himself. Yes this isn’t soccer, but he wouldn’t be on my soccer team either because not only is he to immature to learn from his mistakes he doesn’t care about his team as he keeps costing them and I would laugh if he did something like that against Soddy and it cost them a point and the match! This isn’t him taking his singlet straps off, this is 8 year old actions from a 17-18 year old. So keep making excuses for him and his actions!

As I seen the year I've been on this board, Da Bears fans are quick to attack when they don't want to see the truth. In wrestling and in football. One person said it right on the football board, too many snowflakes on here and doesn't understand the meaning of a message board. Go Bears and good luck! 

Dabears, I hate to kick kids off a team, but I really think it would be a good life lesson if he was although I know that sounds harsh. Fact is, in all my years of wrestling I never once cost my team a point and I never once let me emotions get the best of me to throw a headgear or cuss at a ref and I also never had it happen while I was coaching. Don’t get me wrong I am one of the most competitive people you will ever meet, however I kept myself in check while on the mat and my wrestlers always understood what I expected of them while representing the team. Sadly headrick has learned no life lessons from all this which is what sports and especially wrestling should be teaching. After Saturday I would have sent his butt packing, he hasn’t matured and he is a loose cannon out on the mat(not only walker valley but he cost the Hixson 170 most of the season because he gave him a concussion on illegal slam that happened twice because the first time wasn’t enough). As you said, you can cuss all you want off the mat, throw your headgear whatever, but he is a dang senior and doesn’t have the brain to keep his emotions in check while it can effect his team!

Unfortunately this seems to be an ongoing problem for the Bears. I hate it for the Bears, coach Smith and the young men involved. I'm sure none of them want any negativity from this issue. Some type of discipline is obviously necessary. What type of discipline could be discussed on here until the end of time. Wrestling is a very very  emotional sport. I want to see the wrestler mad because he got beat or a bad call. That means he cares and wants to do better next time. I get the language, the throughing of head gear and even flagrant issues related to our sport. Just cant happen on the mat, not ever. This yr I've seen head gear thrown, heard the bad language. Even head butts and kicks. One of my boys was even punched in the face, more than once while pinning his opponent.  Those actions almost resulted in a s%&t show. Luckily our coaches, refs and parents all keep their cool and handled the issue professionally. The most important thing here is. What are we teaching our young men?.

Edited by mrfixalot49

exactly mrfixalot, this sport is emotional as they come, heck I was screwed out of a state place back in the day due to a bad call, Had the kid pinned and didn't get the call and ended up getting beat by decision. Did I throw my head gear and make a scene, did I yell at the ref and pitch a hissy fit? No, it was the end of my wrestling career and I shook the kids hand, the other coaches and I walked off the mat never to wrestle competitively again! First because I knew that even with my wrestling career being over, I most likely would be spending a week or two in the round gym running sprints and bleachers till i threw up and also I did not want to show up my team or my coach or my family. Do you think I was happy while sitting in the confines of McClellan Gym? Heck no, I wasn't very happy about it, I wasn't good enough to beat that kid unless I caught him and I knew that and I was able to hit my move straight to his back while Coach Leen was screaming the kids pinned for what seemed like 20 seconds before the round was over, went down hill after that LOL. Fact is though, whatever "internal" method of punishment Ben is using up there for Headrick is obviously not working and it's time that he is either gone or wrestling JV for the rest of his senior year because obviously he hasn't matured and learned right from wrong and what can and will hurt your team. Just imagine if the he goes to state duals and they end up tied with another team but end up losing because he cost his team a point? I hate calling other wrestlers out, but I have seen this one time and time again just do boneheaded things and things that just make other wrestlers look bad.

• Like 1

This is not a problem that is exclusive to BC or any other school.  Student athletes today are just like the rest of society and they are looking for instant gratification and most don't know how to handle their emotions when things don't happen as they wish.  Like the late John Merritt once said; "If a kid acts like a fool go and knock on the front door of that kids home and a fool will likely answer the door"  This problem persist due to the parent or parents (most kids today are raised by a single parent mother) being part of the time out generation.  Today if a child acts inappropriately they are sent to timeout.  Right or wrong back in the day if a child acted poorly they got their backside busted.  It didn't take long to figure out that getting a belt placed on your backside was not fun and it would be best served to change your behavior.  Another problem is that coaches have very little space with regards to discipline.  If they come down on the student athlete to hard or kick them off the team they will be called before the principal or school board and have to answer for everything under the Sun.  

Edited by cbg
  • Upvote 1

tex, tough situation? What would be tough about all this? I mean I have seen many a good athlete(other sports) or wrestlers kicked off the team because of actions that they performed in.

So to me it isn't a tough situation when someone continues to put themselves in this situation and I also know it has been said on here a time or two before about this same wrestler. Good luck on the season and I hope the State Title can stay in Region

4 hours ago, cbg said:

This is not a problem that is exclusive to BC or any other school.  Student athletes today are just like the rest of society and they are looking for instant gratification and most don't know how to handle their emotions when things don't happen as they wish.  Like the late John Merritt once said; "If a kid acts like a fool go and knock on the front door of that kids home and a fool will likely answer the door"  This problem persist due to the parent or parents (most kids today are raised by a single parent mother) being part of the time out generation.  Today if a child acts inappropriately they are sent to timeout.  Right or wrong back in the day if a child acted poorly they got their backside busted.  It didn't take long to figure out that getting a belt placed on your backside was not fun and it would be best served to change your behavior.  Another problem is that coaches have very little space with regards to discipline.  If they come down on the student athlete to hard or kick them off the team they will be called before the principal or school board and have to answer for everything under the Sun.  

CBG, that I agree with completely, this generation for sure gets away with a whole heck of a lot more compared to what we did, there are however ways to try and nip it in the bud before it costs your team in a bad way. Like making them run till they throw up(they can try and take you to the school board but there is nothing they can do about it, been there done that before).  I am happy that my soccer teams don't give me any problems(I have coached both my sons) but I never had a problem with any wrestling teams I helped coach, never had to run a kid off, but if the school board tried to make me keep a kid on the team, either I would be gone or I would make them quit. Of course this all was one reason I quit teaching and just coach for fun now. So if a kid talks back or shows their butt, I make them pay for it and if it happens twice they can find another team to play for, had a talk with one parent so far with it, but kid came back and apologized later and never acted that's way again. Funny that can happen with a 9 year old but cannot with a 17-18 year old. 

18 hours ago, cobrakid8 said:

CBG, that I agree with completely, this generation for sure gets away with a whole heck of a lot more compared to what we did, there are however ways to try and nip it in the bud before it costs your team in a bad way. Like making them run till they throw up(they can try and take you to the school board but there is nothing they can do about it, been there done that before).  I am happy that my soccer teams don't give me any problems(I have coached both my sons) but I never had a problem with any wrestling teams I helped coach, never had to run a kid off, but if the school board tried to make me keep a kid on the team, either I would be gone or I would make them quit. Of course this all was one reason I quit teaching and just coach for fun now. So if a kid talks back or shows their butt, I make them pay for it and if it happens twice they can find another team to play for, had a talk with one parent so far with it, but kid came back and apologized later and never acted that's way again. Funny that can happen with a 9 year old but cannot with a 17-18 year old. 

Let's not forget that a few years ago Signal Mountain ran off an excellent coach for trying to discipline a student athlete.  For the coaches it's often not worth the hassle of kicking a student athlete off the team even if the program would be better off with them gone.  

• Upvote 1

I watched a coach kick a returning state champion off his team because he was breaking team rules. They won a state title without him. It happened again about 5 years later with a different kid. That team also won a title. To him it was about motivating the others to make the sacrifice to work harder.  He also set an example. It was always about the team. That coach will soon be inducted into the National Wrestling Coaches Hall of Fame. His name is George Hamblin, Richmond Blue Devils, Richmond Mi.

• Upvote 1