Why doesn't Van Buren.Co have football?

On 1/6/2018 at 6:43 PM, Hadmatter said:

I'll have to ask that this topic get canned.I have greatly upset the AD at Van Buren.Co High for sharing his view in what was a innocent and curious topic.I also upset the great people at Van Buren County High who are a asset to White County High School Football who play a prominent role in the high school football playoffs on a yearly basis.Again my deepest apologies and I'm imposing a 1 year Coach T banishment on myself including no postseason much like White County Football experiences on a almost yearly basis.

Given the nature of the thread i.e. tone, you won't get canned.  There are about 10 1a schools close toe the size of Greenback and SP that could field football teams.  I'm talking about public schools that have been around a long time.

On ‎1‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 11:50 AM, Indian said:

White Co is 15 minutes away and VB does not have a lot of extra funds with businesses and industry to donate. Doubtful they'll have football anytime soon .

VanBuren is one of the poorest counties in the state. It sits on top of a hill. There is not a lot of flat land around suitable for the school to purchase for a field location. There is nowhere around the school for sure. Plus football requires a lot of continuous funding. The county simply doesn't have it. Not much "industry" or anything else in VanBuren. Most work outside of the county.

1 hour ago, bigchief said:

VanBuren is one of the poorest counties in the state. It sits on top of a hill. There is not a lot of flat land around suitable for the school to purchase for a field location. There is nowhere around the school for sure. Plus football requires a lot of continuous funding. The county simply doesn't have it. Not much "industry" or anything else in VanBuren. Most work outside of the county.

Lake Co. is THE poorest county in the state and the 16th poorest county in the nation according to a 2015 time magazine article. They made the semi's this past year. I believe their student enrollment is smaller than Van Buren. Could be wrong but definitely not bigger. I know nothing of the geography of that area so I believe you are correct on not having a stadium location. 

On 1/7/2018 at 0:50 PM, Indian said:

White Co is 15 minutes away and VB does not have a lot of extra funds with businesses and industry to donate. Doubtful they'll have football anytime soon .

Is Van Buren a county? If so it sounds like they need to annex with another border county & give the s school a football program. Greenback is small with very little industry in the town...like maybe 1 or 2 small plants. The rest is small private Mom & pops. We rely on taxes & revenue from the county which includes cities of Loudon & Lenoir City for funding. We actually border Blount county & our kids could drive 15 to 20 minutes to Maryville to play football, but since we have Loudon High in county that is where our kids would be required to play if we had not fought for years to keep our football program. That would be a 25 minute drive. Are there no other high schools in Van Buren to consolidate with? You can have a football program, a very successful one, with small enrollment but the funds have to come from somewhere. 

On 1/10/2018 at 2:42 PM, Red Rebels said:

Can you give us a list?

I had worked one out before Sale Creek finally formed a team as well as Fayetteville.  That gets my list down to 7 schools counting Van Buren.  I just reviewed the enrollment and Washburn is down by a almost half.

Washburn High: 162  (just to the northeast of Knoxville)

Bradford High:  150 (west TN)

Santa Fe High:  187

Van Buren:  224

City University School of Liberal Arts:  248

Culleoka High School : 269

Clarkrange High School : 290

For comparison, these are long standing programs

Greenback: 234

South Pittsburg:  240

Whitwell: 321

Fairley High School:  384

These are recently established programs:

Sale Creek:  295

Fayetteville High School: 336

2 hours ago, rlh said:

I had worked one out before Sale Creek finally formed a team as well as Fayetteville.  That gets my list down to 7 schools counting Van Buren.  I just reviewed the enrollment and Washburn is down by a almost half.

Washburn High: 162  (just to the northeast of Knoxville)

Bradford High:  150 (west TN)

Santa Fe High:  187

Van Buren:  224

City University School of Liberal Arts:  248

Culleoka High School : 269

Clarkrange High School : 290

For comparison, these are long standing programs

Greenback: 234

South Pittsburg:  240

Whitwell: 321

Fairley High School:  384

These are recently established programs:

Sale Creek:  295

Fayetteville High School: 336

Don't forget MLK out of Nashville. They have 900+ students and no football team. Crazy.