Knox Catholic requests move to D2

osunut2

13 minutes ago, gcapride said:

I agree with your logic on the split. The current DII football split is:

16 DII-A  0-265

19 DII-AA 266-530

11 DII-AAA 531 up

KC isn't anywhere close to the cutoff for DII-AA Football. Their enrollment # for the current classification is 1154 with the multiplier (approx. 679 actual). They will play DII-AAA Football, where they belong.

And for the record, GCA could count our 8th grade in our # and it would be roughly 380. Our HS enrollment # is 316 for the current classification period.

I think Catholic's enrollment is right at 600 (maybe just under) this year. The class that the figures are based on is from 2 years ago when we were around 620. I would agree with WilsonJr's split into the classes. Catholic's initial issue with the split was we were told we would be in the smaller division.

7 hours ago, IrishBBall said:

My point was there are 19 large schools and 46 small schools.  Webb is miraculously 1 student under the cutoff point when they have often played 8th graders in every sport. CAK has had 8th graders make All-State teams and even your own Rams have had 8th graders starting varsity games. If you state you have 449 students and add 5-10 eighth graders should your number be 459? Is it a coincidence that the Webb AD is on the board that help set the division point? I don’t think so...

Catholic initially thought they would be placed in the smaller division which would have allowed them to play the local privates. The only decided advantage would have been in football. Every other sport would be pretty evenly matched as we have seen in basketball, baseball, soccer, softball, etc.

Now, that point I agree with. I think you are really making a point about the favored sons with the big $$$ over in West Knoxville. I believe there's a pretty popular posting nose-pickin' Leprechaun that would agree with us too. With Webb's AD on the board, being one student under the cutoff number is blatant prejudice, especially when you consider the nonsensical, uneven distribution of the three DII divisions in football AND the two divisions in everything else. I don't think anybody on here would argue that, with exception of Sparty, of course. 

My point was not about Webb. My point was that KC has no business trying to sell any scenario putting them into the smaller school division in anything. The fact KC doesn't completely dominate privates in every other sport in ETN is sort of odd to me, though I believe you would acknowledge they are closer than any other private program, as KC is typically among the best in all other sports. KC should not be given a break just to have a better opportunity to dominate smaller private schools in all sports.

Before I forget to acknowledge this.....you guys have one heck of a basketball team.....love the way they play incredibly hard. BJ must have done some serious off-season work to become one of the top players in the area. He's the best we've faced so far this year....strictly my not-so-knowledgeable opinion. Kudos to him for the hard work.

In reference to ONE 8th-grader starting varsity for GCA....doesn't that prove my point? He did start a few games due to lineman attrition. He was huge, and he would've hurt someone in middle school. Admin waffled long and hard about letting him go up to HS too. The final deciding factor to do it was to protect the middle school kids. That would have been bad. We also had a frosh starting on the D-line that same year that had no business going up against senior studs across from him. He did until he got hurt anyway.

46 minutes ago, RaiseEmRightnPray said:

Now, that point I agree with. I think you are really making a point about the favored sons with the big $$$ over in West Knoxville. I believe there's a pretty popular posting nose-pickin' Leprechaun that would agree with us too. With Webb's AD on the board, being one student under the cutoff number is blatant prejudice, especially when you consider the nonsensical, uneven distribution of the three DII divisions in football AND the two divisions in everything else. I don't think anybody on here would argue that, with exception of Sparty, of course. 

My point was not about Webb. My point was that KC has no business trying to sell any scenario putting them into the smaller school division in anything. The fact KC doesn't completely dominate privates in every other sport in ETN is sort of odd to me, though I believe you would acknowledge they are closer than any other private program, as KC is typically among the best in all other sports. KC should not be given a break just to have a better opportunity to dominate smaller private schools in all sports.

Before I forget to acknowledge this.....you guys have one heck of a basketball team.....love the way they play incredibly hard. BJ must have done some serious off-season work to become one of the top players in the area. He's the best we've faced so far this year....strictly my not-so-knowledgeable opinion. Kudos to him for the hard work.

In reference to ONE 8th-grader starting varsity for GCA....doesn't that prove my point? He did start a few games due to lineman attrition. He was huge, and he would've hurt someone in middle school. Admin waffled long and hard about letting him go up to HS too. The final deciding factor to do it was to protect the middle school kids. That would have been bad. We also had a frosh starting on the D-line that same year that had no business going up against senior studs across from him. He did until he got hurt anyway.

I didn’t feel we should be placed in a smaller division with the goal of dominating. I’m all about facing the best competition you can. My point is strictly about the travel and cost associated with it. When we were previously in the private division with Webb and the Chatt privates, we always lost every vote since Chatt outnumbered us. that meant during basketball tourney time we would have to travel to. Chattanooga every night since boys and girls played on different nights. That’s really tough when you have the 9:00 games. Kids are getting home after midnight and parents of younger kids are having to pick them up then drive back home. Under the current proposal that problem would be magnified driving to Nashville. Travel is really not an issue for football but think about the cost of 2 buses going to Chatt 4 times in a week.

You also can’t build rivalries because you might only have a crowd of Friday nights. Forget about midweek games. Our best gates have traditionally been Webb, CAK and Grace.

Thanks for the basketball appreciation. We do have a good team but there is an obvious drop-off from last year. We only have 2 starters with any varsity experience. Brock has made tremendous improvements and he is much more athletic than people realize. He’s a tough matchup for anyone. I think you all have a very good team also. I love Grant Ledford’s game!

In the past 8th graders have had a big impact at CAK and Grace in basketball. I know Pridemore and Slusher started for Grace. Hammaker was AllState as an 8th grader. Football is a little different. 

3 hours ago, gcapride said:

I agree with your logic on the split. The current DII football split is:

16 DII-A  0-265

19 DII-AA 266-530

11 DII-AAA 531 up

KC isn't anywhere close to the cutoff for DII-AA Football. Their enrollment # for the current classification is 1154 with the multiplier (approx. 679 actual). They will play DII-AAA Football, where they belong.

And for the record, GCA could count our 8th grade in our # and it would be roughly 380. Our HS enrollment # is 316 for the current classification period.

And yet you all still beat up on a 190 student school.Oh and your number is wrong,its actually 321 counting the refs.LOL.!!!!Wheres Blue when i need him??

3 hours ago, orngnblk said:

And yet you all still beat up on a 190 student school.Oh and your number is wrong,its actually 321 counting the refs.LOL.!!!!Wheres Blue when i need him??

Who are you kidding? Playing us prepared you guys to go beat Coalfield twice, SP and then win a gold ball. You should let us at least touch that trophy when we get to Cooper Field next year. I sort of figure switching from DI-AA to DII-AA cost us at least one.

On a positive note, it also helped prepare our kids to compete at a higher level than ever before. After its all said and done.....I wouldn't change a thing! We didn't win them all, but we sure had fun watching all those good games vs quality opponents.

14 hours ago, RaiseEmRightnPray said:

BJ was pretty good last year as junior with averages of 17 points and 8 rebounds, it would appear that an all state point guard name Luke Smith was the focus of most teams defensive schemes but the Irish had 6 guys that could score 20 on a given night during the season last year and at some point all of them did.  BJ averaged 13 ppg as a sophomore off the bench for the Irish and he had a very good freshman season leading the jv team (for which he didn't start a game) and the freshman team in scoring. His development has been right on point since his freshman year.  Playing AAU and focusing on hoops helped that development.  From what I was told Catholic's numbers are around 550 which is till the large school division but it makes no sense to me that there are 3 classes in D2.  Should be two classes (and I think thats too many for 47 teams) and should be 4 classes in D1. 

Edited by QSouth89

4 minutes ago, QSouth89 said:

BJ was pretty good last year as junior with averages of 17 points and 8 rebounds, it would appear that an all state point guard name Luke Smith was the focus of most teams defensive schemes but the Irish had 6 guys that could score 20 on a given night during the season last year and at some point all of them did.  BJ averaged 13 ppg as a sophomore off the bench for the Irish and he had a very good freshman season leading the jv team (for which he didn't start a game) and the freshman team in scoring. His development has been right on point since his freshman year.  Playing AAU and focusing on hoops helped that development.  From what I was told Catholic's numbers are around 550 which is till the large school division but it makes no sense to me that there are 3 classes in D2.  Should be two classes (and I think thats too many for 47 teams) and should be 4 classes in D1. 

Smith definitely took some attention from him for sure. Obviously, KC has been unreal for years. I've always been a big Chase K fan. BJ is REALLY GOOD NOW! Surely he is getting looks from schools. Hope it works out exactly as he wants it to. I root for all of these kids. Mine will be in the same boat next year in a different sport. Just letting hard work and the Good Lord create the path.