Knox Catholic requests move to D2

osunut2

20 hours ago, IrishBBall said:

I think the returning players we have are pretty good  based on all the college coaches we have stopping by the campus. I'm not sure how folks with money help build our talent base? Could you enlighten me?

I wasn't aware that we had good players going elsewhere. Our student base is slightly under 600 this year and we seemed to do pretty well. I hate to tell you but success is our best selling point not people out recruiting. Kids that are coming to Catholic are doing so because of the style of football we play, the exposure to D1 schools, facilities, coaching, academics and WINNING! We have gotten plenty of good players without offering scholarships.

You seriously expect folks to believe that Catholic does not need to offer aid and scholarships to attract certain players?  Maybe the schools lets those that can't afford it attend out of the kindness of their heart. 

If that is not an issue - why switch classifications?  There is no other reason to do so.

15 hours ago, atrisk said:

Name 'em.

Already discussed this ad nauseam during the playoff game. I know of several players in different sports and named them earlier. As your guy Willie the Wildcat pointed out I coached AAU basketball out of OR for years with players from all over the state. My point was students from Clinton, OS and other AC locations have attended OR for the same reasons discussed earlier. Why do you think OR has a tuition policy?

The fact you use vauge statements and innuendo to refer to students attending  ORHS from out of zone is getting old. Readers don't believe it. No proof: just I know this, I  was that talk.  Tuition of course I know about it. A family can live in a $200,000+ home in OR and pay less city taxes than it cost to send one child here from out of zone. Now, how many do ya think do that?

1 hour ago, TNVolFan2000 said:

You seriously expect folks to believe that Catholic does not need to offer aid and scholarships to attract certain players?  Maybe the schools lets those that can't afford it attend out of the kindness of their heart. 

If that is not an issue - why switch classifications?  There is no other reason to do so.

Do Maryville, Alcoa, Fulton, Farragut and others offer aid and scholarships? They seem to attract quite a few players out of their zone. Not saying they do anything outside the rules...they all do it the correct way. We've lost several athletes due to TSSAA changes in the tuition process. Trust me, we are scrutinized very closely. If we had been doing anything illegal, we would have been turned in.

I'm thinking part of the reason for switching is trying to schedule football games given the timing of the request. I think the TSSAA tried to make it as difficult as possible for us to stay in the public division. Sticking us in Region 4 made no sense. Region 2 or 3 would have been more logical given the fact most of the schools are in Knox or an adjoining county.

6 minutes ago, atrisk said:

The fact you use vauge statements and innuendo to refer to students attending  ORHS from out of zone is getting old. Readers don't believe it. No proof: just I know this, I  was that talk.  Tuition of course I know about it. A family can live in a $200,000+ home in OR and pay less city taxes than it cost to send one child here from out of zone. Now, how many do ya think do that?

Not sure exactly what was vague and innuendo based. Go back and look at the names I listed earlier that were mainly basketballers. I coached them and know exactly where they lived. Why did they chose OR...athletics and academics (probably in that order)!  Your tax and tuition statement make no sense. If you live in OR and pay city taxes you would automatically be zoned for school there without tuition. It has nothing to do with living in a $200K+ or a $40K house if it is in the city limits. I've had friends that live in Oliver Springs send their kids to OR for the very reasons we've discussed.

I've got no clue how many students attend OR while paying tuition. That would be a question that you could answer better than me.... Thinking the answer isn't 0.

Well, apparently you know at least one child (of your friends) who pays tuition. Is he/she/they athletes?  Hopefully they due pay their fair share and are not abusive to our school system. Let me add that many families live in OR because of the schools. And if there are tuition payers I would guess most if not all pay for our OUTSTANDING special education program. Not athelitics.

2 minutes ago, atrisk said:

Well, apparently you know at least one child (of your friends) who pays tuition. Is he/she/they athletes?  Hopefully they due pay their fair share and are not abusive to our school system. Let me add that many families live in OR because of the schools. And if there are tuition payers I would guess most if not all pay for our OUTSTANDING special education program. Not athelitics.

I've had friends attend for both reasons. I agree that many live in OR due to the schools but probably more so because of the jobs at the plants. I know OR has a fantastic academic reputation but didn't know it was because of the special education program. I'll refrain from going any further with that statement. LOL

Speaking for myself ( not ORBOE) I would think they would incorporate their Special Education Dept. Into their overall strigic plan. Please stick wit Farragut,Fulton,Maryville And Alcoa when referring to out of zone athletes. Your statements just arn't very valid and don't hold much water with respect to OR.