Knox Catholic requests move to D2

osunut2

Additional info on the situation:

http://www.knoxnews.com/story/sports/high-school/2018/01/08/knoxville-catholic-requests-move-division-ii-tennessee-high-school-sports-tssaa/1013275001/

According to the principal, they don't want to play in a division "where we're not wanted." They also found out that they can opt out of a region schedule (except in football), choosing to play local teams in the regular season and then play the playoffs in their division. I'm not exactly sure how that would apply to district tourney seeding, but I found that interesting.

Just a question, is this move saying, hey maybe we are doing something that is borderline skirting the rules and as others have pointed out, getting some attention?  Or is it a statement that we can not be competitive without recruiting?  I say this because last I checked the mileage between Nashville and Chattanooga has not changed for games.  

7 minutes ago, GWAVE1 said:

Just a question, is this move saying, hey maybe we are doing something that is borderline skirting the rules and as others have pointed out, getting some attention?  Or is it a statement that we can not be competitive without recruiting?  I say this because last I checked the mileage between Nashville and Chattanooga has not changed for games.  

You may have something. Their JV team lost really bad the game I saw them play.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, osunut2 said:

Additional info on the situation:

http://www.knoxnews.com/story/sports/high-school/2018/01/08/knoxville-catholic-requests-move-division-ii-tennessee-high-school-sports-tssaa/1013275001/

According to the principal, they don't want to play in a division "where we're not wanted." They also found out that they can opt out of a region schedule (except in football), choosing to play local teams in the regular season and then play the playoffs in their division. I'm not exactly sure how that would apply to district tourney seeding, but I found that interesting.

Catholic is truly in a no-win situation. It gets back to the travel aspect. If we can opt out of the region schedule, we avoid school conflicts. Again, football isn't the issue because you would only travel 5-6 times and it would be on a Friday with no school the next day. As the principal stated, we don't need kids getting back to school at 1:00 a.m. and some have a 30-45 minute drive home. I'm sure the parents wouldn't like having their kids on the road that late at night (much less the parents having to pick up the non-drivers)  The cost  for travel for the non-revenue sports is also an issue. Also, the big crowds like we had Friday night against Bearden would disappear. I don't see much student involvement when traveling to Nashville and Chattanooga. Hard to build rivalries without the kids.

The move isn't being made to avoid potential skirting the rules. We're under far more scrutiny than most schools and haven't had any issues.

One of the reasons our JV teams appear weak is that many freshman and sophomores are playing big roles on the varsity and aren't playing JV.

It will be interesting to see what financial aid will be available. If a commitment were made to bringing in more outside athletes I think the people that are complaining about us recruiting now would go nuts. Most of the money is being directed to the construction of the new cathedral at Sacred Heart. That seems to have priority over any athletic concerns. I know that any sports improvements for teams and facilities have been somewhat curtailed.

Like I said the Pope cut off the funds .... they traveled alot  the last couple years on football .. so travel would not be issue for Football .. Chattanooga and Nashville ... they have been going those placed already .. its like I proposed before .. let them play local teams in sports other than football in regular season and then in playoffs since there are alot fewer privates they all make playoffs and compete privates versus privates ... In football that would work too ...  let KC play local teams and then all privates make playoffs and play  .... if they give money and they have the resources as I mentioned for donations ( aka .. Harrison Smith etc )  .. they will pull alot more kids from the publics  .. but one thing is  KC  wouid not be taking a playoff spot in the public playoffs thus giving the publics a level playing field to compete for championships and as long as thats the case the publics would be fine with it even though KC will pluck the best kids in KNOX and surrounding co's ..at least the publics affected by this would not have to watch a kid beat them that was supposed to go to school there ... 

Plus if KC went ahead and make the move to DII .. it would make it easier for them to schedule non DII ( public) teams  if the publics werent playing them in playoffs ..I would bet there would be less travel over all in football if 5 or 6 local public 's played and then they had 4 private games  .. with a trip to Nash and Chatt every year