Knox Catholic requests move to D2

osunut2

58 minutes ago, Tadvols said:

Plus if KC went ahead and make the move to DII .. it would make it easier for them to schedule non DII ( public) teams  if the publics werent playing them in playoffs ..I would bet there would be less travel over all in football if 5 or 6 local public 's played and then they had 4 private games  .. with a trip to Nash and Chatt every year 

I think that is the thought process Tadvols. I know getting local games has been tough the past few years. I don’t think it’s a coincidence in the move about the time football schedules are being made.

1 hour ago, IrishBBall said:

Catholic is truly in a no-win situation. It gets back to the travel aspect. If we can opt out of the region schedule, we avoid school conflicts. Again, football isn't the issue because you would only travel 5-6 times and it would be on a Friday with no school the next day. As the principal stated, we don't need kids getting back to school at 1:00 a.m. and some have a 30-45 minute drive home. I'm sure the parents wouldn't like having their kids on the road that late at night (much less the parents having to pick up the non-drivers)  The cost  for travel for the non-revenue sports is also an issue. Also, the big crowds like we had Friday night against Bearden would disappear. I don't see much student involvement when traveling to Nashville and Chattanooga. Hard to build rivalries without the kids.

What is intriguing to me is the idea that KC doesn't necessarily have to play a region schedule in non-revenue sports. If that is the case, like tadvols mentioned, travel becomes much less of a problem.

Edited by osunut2

Several privates in the Chattanooga area to schedule.  I've stated before a don't mind my team (Oak Ridge) occasionally playing privates as long as the game doesn't impact playoffs.  Don't know how surrounding publics feel about playing them. Thinking Catholic didn't do themselves any favors playing D1. May have overpaid for their gold.

5 minutes ago, atrisk said:

Several privates in the Chattanooga area to schedule.  I've stated before a don't mind my team (Oak Ridge) occasionally playing privates as long as the game doesn't impact playoffs.  Don't know how surrounding publics feel about playing them. Thinking Catholic didn't do themselves any favors playing D1. May have overpaid for their gold.

Currently, KC would be in the east/middle region of D2-AAA, so the only Chattanooga privates on their region schedule would be McCallie and Baylor. Their other 5 opponents would be Nashville-area teams (BA, MBA, Ensworth, Father Ryan, PJP). They'd have to find 3 non-region games, but I'm sure they could find 3 local opponents (public or private) to fill their schedule once they are in D2. Maybe Webb, CAK, and Grace?

3 minutes ago, madhatter2269 said:

sure they could fill the schedule but would TSSAA write off on them to join the privates immediately is the big question? (2018)

I doubt it, not in the middle of a 2-year scheduling cycle. My guess is that TSSAA will approve the move, but it won't happen until 2019.

Let's hope it takes affect this year. This nonsense has already cost a group of guys in Reg. 4 a championship, teams in Reg. 3 to be eliminated from the bracket, a team in Reg. 2 eliminate and a team in Mid. Tennessee a championship. Yea. Let's let it go on a little longer.

• Upvote 2

41 minutes ago, madhatter2269 said:

sure they could fill the schedule but would TSSAA write off on them to join the privates immediately is the big question? (2018)

I doubt it ... but Im sure the Reg 4 teams would like it  .. it would cause those 4 teams to scramble for an opponent or they could just play KC  as a out of region opponent in 2018 without it affecting  Reg 4 standings  .. the trick would be getting KC a schedule in the East / Mid Private class  .. so if they scheduled a private then that may cause one of the Region 4 teams to have to find an opponent  to fill their schedule.

43 minutes ago, osunut2 said:

I doubt it, not in the middle of a 2-year scheduling cycle. My guess is that TSSAA will approve the move, but it won't happen until 2019.

Just let them play same schedule ... all privates make playoffs correct ???  Just let KC play in the private D2 playoffs in 2018 and then start with new schedule in 2019 .... duh !!!!!