Knox Catholic requests move to D2

osunut2

2 minutes ago, atrisk said:

Let's hope it takes affect this year. This nonsense has already cost a group of guys in Reg. 4 a championship, teams in Reg. 3 to be eliminated from the bracket, a team in Reg. 2 eliminate and a team in Mid. Tennessee a championship. Yea. Let's let it go on a little longer.

Tadvols is right, if TSSAA approves this for next season, they'll likely force KC to keep their current schedule, resulting in 10 non-region games; since all D2-AAA teams qualify for the playoffs, KC would simply enter the D2-AAA playoffs as the 8-seed from the east/middle region. That's a reasonable compromise.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, osunut2 said:

Currently, KC would be in the east/middle region of D2-AAA, so the only Chattanooga privates on their region schedule would be McCallie and Baylor. Their other 5 opponents would be Nashville-area teams (BA, MBA, Ensworth, Father Ryan, PJP). They'd have to find 3 non-region games, but I'm sure they could find 3 local opponents (public or private) to fill their schedule once they are in D2. Maybe Webb, CAK, and Grace?

The problem is the lack of privates in the larger division in East TN. Webb, CAK and Grace refuse to play us in football but at least CAK and Grace have continued to play us in other sports. It's a shame for the kids that such a great rivalry has been abandoned. Imagine Bearden/Farragut, Maryville/Alcoa, Fulton/AE refusing to play...

The ideal situation would keep us in the small division or expand the large division to a bigger number. In the classification other than football there are 19 large and 46 small schools.  I'm not sure if Webb, CAK or Grace include eighth grade enrollment in their numbers but they are able to draw from that base. It's amazing to me that Webb and CPA just happen to be ONE student under the cutoff number from the large division. I know Webb generally has some eighth graders playing but were they counted in that 449 number?

6 hours ago, IrishBBall said:

The problem is the lack of privates in the larger division in East TN. Webb, CAK and Grace refuse to play us in football but at least CAK and Grace have continued to play us in other sports. It's a shame for the kids that such a great rivalry has been abandoned. Imagine Bearden/Farragut, Maryville/Alcoa, Fulton/AE refusing to play...

The ideal situation would keep us in the small division or expand the large division to a bigger number. In the classification other than football there are 19 large and 46 small schools.  I'm not sure if Webb, CAK or Grace include eighth grade enrollment in their numbers but they are able to draw from that base. It's amazing to me that Webb and CPA just happen to be ONE student under the cutoff number from the large division. I know Webb generally has some eighth graders playing but were they counted in that 449 number?

I knew this was coming.....not only did KC politic just long enough to get that gold ball before doing what should've been done last year, now they are positioning to be put in the lower classification in DII? WOW!! To use 8th grade enrollment as some reasonable excuse to elevate the small privates is laughable. IF any of the small schools have to use an 8th grader (minus ONE SUPER STUD SPEEDSTER AT WEBB that really should be at least a soph) that means they don't have enough kids to be competitive anyway. I can't believe I even wasted my time on this, but it just got to be too much. We are not all idiots!

1 hour ago, RaiseEmRightnPray said:

I knew this was coming.....not only did KC politic just long enough to get that gold ball before doing what should've been done last year, now they are positioning to be put in the lower classification in DII? WOW!! To use 8th grade enrollment as some reasonable excuse to elevate the small privates is laughable. IF any of the small schools have to use an 8th grader (minus ONE SUPER STUD SPEEDSTER AT WEBB that really should be at least a soph) that means they don't have enough kids to be competitive anyway. I can't believe I even wasted my time on this, but it just got to be too much. We are not all idiots!

My point was there are 19 large schools and 46 small schools.  Webb is miraculously 1 student under the cutoff point when they have often played 8th graders in every sport. CAK has had 8th graders make All-State teams and even your own Rams have had 8th graders starting varsity games. If you state you have 449 students and add 5-10 eighth graders should your number be 459? Is it a coincidence that the Webb AD is on the board that help set the division point? I don’t think so...

Catholic initially thought they would be placed in the smaller division which would have allowed them to play the local privates. The only decided advantage would have been in football. Every other sport would be pretty evenly matched as we have seen in basketball, baseball, soccer, softball, etc.

Lmao pretty convenient that KC decides to switch over now that all their star big time players have left. As usual ducking competition like they have for years. D2 would have mopped the floor with any of the KC teams in the last decade. Won the 5a state championship and got mercy ruled at home by BA. Good luck in D2 without any major talent anymore. 

For those at Catholic that said the public schools resented them being in 5A well I can tell you for a fact that CAK, Grace and Webb don't want you at their party either. If you desire to be a big fish please go to the big pond and swim. I watched Grace have a kid in the 8th grade start on the defensive line in 2016, how would that be a fair match against an entire offensive line of eventual D1 talent. Those schools don't need a giant killer turned lose on them. Even Maryville suffered a slew of injuries from the Catholic contest last year that took a couple of weeks to get some of them back and one went out for the year. The only winner for those contest would be Rural Metro.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BarneySox2007 said:

For those at Catholic that said the public schools resented them being in 5A well I can tell you for a fact that CAK, Grace and Webb don't want you at their party either. If you desire to be a big fish please go to the big pond and swim. I watched Grace have a kid in the 8th grade start on the defensive line in 2016, how would that be a fair match against an entire offensive line of eventual D1 talent. Those schools don't need a giant killer turned lose on them. Even Maryville suffered a slew of injuries from the Catholic contest last year that took a couple of weeks to get some of them back and one went out for the year. The only winner for those contest would be Rural Metro.

I know this is the football portion of the board but there are several other sports that need to be taken into consideration. We would handle Webb, Grace and CAK easily in football but every other sport would be very close. I think those three were also worried that they would lose athletes to Catholic strictly for football.

1 hour ago, tandem said:

Maybe the KC principal should talk to every other DII school in the state. They’ve all figured out a way to make the travel work. 

McCallie and Baylor are probably the only ones that would understand. The large private schools in Nashville and Memphis don't have to worry about it. The smaller privates don't have to worry about it. However, Chattanooga and Knoxville have a grand total of three "large" private schools, so it becomes a real issue for McCallie, Baylor, and KC.

It’s ridiculous the way that D2 is currently split. There are 46 (would be 47 with KC) total teams, yet only 11 are in the large division. The easy thing to do is split the division evenly with 15 in D2A, 16 in D2AA, and 16 in D2AAA. With that, you are able to split each division into 2 regions. It would affect the Nashville area teams the most, as some would have to travel east and others west to play some region games. What is the enrollment at KC? If my math was correct, its right around 650 which means there is absolutely no way they should compete in D2AA where most schools have 200 fewer students. 

1 hour ago, WilsonJr1990 said:

It’s ridiculous the way that D2 is currently split. There are 46 (would be 47 with KC) total teams, yet only 11 are in the large division. The easy thing to do is split the division evenly with 15 in D2A, 16 in D2AA, and 16 in D2AAA. With that, you are able to split each division into 2 regions. It would affect the Nashville area teams the most, as some would have to travel east and others west to play some region games. What is the enrollment at KC? If my math was correct, its right around 650 which means there is absolutely no way they should compete in D2AA where most schools have 200 fewer students. 

I agree with your logic on the split. The current DII football split is:

16 DII-A  0-265

19 DII-AA 266-530

11 DII-AAA 531 up

KC isn't anywhere close to the cutoff for DII-AA Football. Their enrollment # for the current classification is 1154 with the multiplier (approx. 679 actual). They will play DII-AAA Football, where they belong.

And for the record, GCA could count our 8th grade in our # and it would be roughly 380. Our HS enrollment # is 316 for the current classification period.