TSSAA 2018 Hall of Fame class includes George Quarles, Barbara Campbell

kwc

TSSAA 2018 Hall of Fame class includes George Quarles, Barbara Campbell

Tom Kreager, USA TODAY NETWORK - TennesseePublished 12:19 p.m. CT Jan. 31, 2018 | Updated 5:13 p.m. CT Jan. 31, 2018

6KNSBrd-03-13-2017-NewsSentinel-1-B009--2017-03-12-IMG-quarles.JPG-1-1-4IHMV6SS-L991221371-IMG-quarles.JPG-1-1-4IHMV6SS.jpg

(Photo: Knoxville News Sentinel)

Nine new members including a father and son were named to the Tennessee Secondary School Athletic Association's Hall of Fame on Wednesday.

Former Jefferson County assistant principal and athletic director Bill Quarles and his son, former Maryville football coach George Quarles, were named to the class, becoming the first father-son to be inducted in the same year.

George Quarles said he wasn't aware until the announcement that his father was also named to the class.

"I was blown away," said Quarles, who is now the offensive coordinator at Furman. "That makes it extra special for sure. To get to go into the Hall of Fame the same year as your dad I can't think of anything better."

Others include Brentwood volleyball coach Barbara Campbell, Father Ryan soccer coach Robin Dieterich, former Ezell-Harding coach Don Freudenthal, former Obion County boys basketball coach Jim Whitby, former Peabody principal and TSSAA Board of Control member Sam Miles, official John Caldwell and Nashville resident Ron Bargatze as a contributor.

The class will be inducted on April 14 at a luncheon in Murfreesboro at the Embassy Suites and Conference Center.

Here is a breakdown of the class:

Ron Bargatze: Bargatze has been a radio and TV color analyst for TSSAA football and basketball championship games for more than 30 years. He's also the director of sports medicine for Baptist Hospital and created a partnership with the TSSAA that provided trainers and sports medicine staff at all state championship events.

John Caldwell: Caldwell has been a TSSAA basketball official since 1965. He worked the 1975 girls basketball state tournament and 1978 boys basketball state tournament. He served as a basketball supervisor from 1978-88 and was an assigner for Memphis and Shelby County from 1978-198

TSSAA volleyball state championships, Day Barbara Campbell: Campbell has a 1,627-292 record as a volleyball coach and is the state's all-time winningest coach in the sport. She is third all-time nationally. Campbell has 25 state tournament appearances, seven state runner-up finishes and 13 state championships.

"I am just so honored," Campbell said. "It doesn't feel like I've coaching for 30 years. It feels like it was yesterday.

"When I think of the people that have been honored by the TSSAA, I have so much respect for them. The first thing I think of is I need to take everyone with me because I've had so many people that have helped me along the way."

More: Barbara Campbell to be recognized with Fred Russell Lifetime Achievement Award

Father Ryan coach Robin Dieterich and the Lady Irish

Father Ryan coach Robin Dieterich and the Lady Irish sweat out the final minutes of Saturday's 1-0 championship win over Ensworth. (Photo: Michael Murphy / The Tennessean)

Robin Dieterich: Dietrich is the boys and girls soccer coach at Father Ryan, where he has been since 1979. He has won a combined eight TSSAA boys and girls soccer state championships with the boys and girls teams winning it during the 2012-13 school year. He has more than 300 wins.

Don Freudenthal: The former Ezell-Harding softball coach has more than 800 career wins. His teams made 19 state tournaments, winning 13 state championships with three runner-up finishes. Freudenthal's teams had a 56-11 record in the state tournament.

Sam Miles: Longtime administrator and coach in West Tennessee. He coached at Peabody and Dyersburg for more than 10 years. He was the Peabody principal from 1983-1995 and served on the TSSAA Board of Control from 1995-2006. He was also the Henry County Director of Schools from 2008-12.

Bill Quarles: Bill Quarles retired from the Jefferson County School System in 2005 after being a teacher and administrator at Jefferson County. He was an assistant principal and athletic director from 1977-1992. He also was a former basketball and tennis coach at the school. 

George Quarles: Former Maryville football coach made 15 BlueCross Bowl championship games in 18 years before resigning prior to the 2017 season to become an assistant at Furman, his alma mater. His teams won 11 state championships, and he finished with a 250-16 record. His teams won 74 straight games from 2004-08.

More: Former Maryville coach George Quarles promoted to offensive coordinator at Furman

Jim Whitby: Whitby was the boys basketball coach at Obion County from 1982-2001 and at Lake County from 2001-10. He had 850 career wins and led Obion County to the Class AA state title in 1986.

Reach Tom Kreager at tkreager@tennessean.com or 615-259-8089 and on Twitter @Kreager.

Selecting George Quarles is the epitomy of a "no-brainer".

Edited by kwc
  • Like 1