Region updates

Bump11

49 minutes ago, mrfixalot49 said:

Ive heard two diff opinions yesterday. Just curious Cobra becaue I don't know how they seed at state. I thought if you place the yr before or win your region you get seeded. Do they not seed the other wrestlers? But you said that Titus and Wilson won' get seeded. Not sure about Titus last yr but didn't Wilson place last yr so does that give him a seed for this yr.

You have to win your region this year..

and placed in previous years....if you don’t win, no matter your resume...blind draw

12 minutes ago, mrfixalot49 said:

By that being said. Sounds like the seeding criteria is screwed up. Or that happened because Wilson didn't win his region?

Wilson was 2nd, so unseeded.

Just opposite side of Matthews placement.

James finished 3rd.

Thus, first round 2 v 3, from different regions.

it is the same in every bracket, just happened to be two former medalists here.

They should seed all region winners and place them....then, separate the second placers, as they must go into the opposite from their region winner.

Seed the four 2nd placers in each 1/2 the bracket, and place them.

Same 3 and 4.

iI guess that would take too long, huh?

145 - 6 returning medalist

120, 126, 132, 138, 195, 285 - 5 returning medalists

220 - 4 returning medalists

170, 182 - 3 returning medalists

113, 152 - 2 returning medalists

160 - 1 returning medalist

106 - 0 returning

My best guess is 145 will be the toughest to place given the number of returning medalists and the layout of the bracket.  

106 as would be expected has the fewest returning.

160 is VERY weak.  I'm not sure why but 160 cleared out in January.  I can see at least 3 wrestlers at 152 not including Rippy or Graham moving up to 160 and being finalists.  

I can see the tournament's outstanding wrestler award coming from 126, 132, or 145.

Did some looking into which regions were toughest to come out of and added up all the wrestlers in each region who DID NOT advance to the State Tournament. My math may be a little off but it's pretty dang close. Please feel free to double check me and see what you come up with. 

Region 1- 44 wrestlers didn't advance

Region 2- 13 ( yes, ONLY 13 wrestlers didn't qualify for the State Tournament in all 14 weight classes put together)!!! That's (5) 4 man brackets where everyone advanced and there were (6) 5 man brackets where all but 1 qualified. 7 man bracket at 195 was deepest bracket.

Region 3- 29 wrestlers didn't qualify for the state tournament.

Region 4- 39 wrestlers from here didn't advance past their region tournament.

Region 5- 89 wrestlers didn't advance past regions.

Region 6- 83 wrestlers didn't make it to state from this region.

Region 7- 118 kids wrestled their last match of the season at this region tournament. I knew this region would have alot, but honestly DID NOT expect it to be almost 30 more than the next closest region.

Region 8- 42 kids did not advance to the State Tournament from this region.

P.S.- Some unhappy assistant or Head Coach who doesn't like his administration NEEDS to start a wrestling program at Oak Ridge HS today!!! I PROMISE that you will be COMPETITVE TOMORROW with all the athletes walking the halls there, even if you end up in Region 3, and especially if you can get into Region 2!!!!

3 minutes ago, FargoStrut said:

Did some looking into which regions were toughest to come out of and added up all the wrestlers in each region who DID NOT advance to the State Tournament. My math may be a little off but it's pretty dang close. Please feel free to double check me and see what you come up with. 

Region 1- 44 wrestlers didn't advance

Region 2- 13 ( yes, ONLY 13 wrestlers didn't qualify for the State Tournament in all 14 weight classes put together)!!! That's (5) 4 man brackets where everyone advanced and there were (6) 5 man brackets where all but 1 qualified. 7 man bracket at 195 was deepest bracket.

Region 3- 29 wrestlers didn't qualify for the state tournament.

Region 4- 39 wrestlers from here didn't advance past their region tournament.

Region 5- 89 wrestlers didn't advance past regions.

Region 6- 83 wrestlers didn't make it to state from this region.

Region 7- 118 kids wrestled their last match of the season at this region tournament. I knew this region would have alot, but honestly DID NOT expect it to be almost 30 more than the next closest region.

Region 8- 42 kids did not advance to the State Tournament from this region.

P.S.- Some unhappy assistant or Head Coach who doesn't like his administration NEEDS to start a wrestling program at Oak Ridge HS today!!! I PROMISE that you will be COMPETITVE TOMORROW with all the athletes walking the halls there, even if you end up in Region 3, and especially if you can get into Region 2!!!!

This is a very interesting analysis but more numbers don't necessarily mean harder competition and therefore toughest to come out of.  Without studying all the 145 brackets for every region, I would say Region 4 was the toughest.  Region 4 only had 6 wrestlers but the chances of a 5 or 6 seed coming out of this regions was very slim.  Region 7 had 16 wrestlers but a 7th seeded wrestler placed 3rd.