Region updates

Bump11

11 minutes ago, ObserverW said:

This is a very interesting analysis but more numbers don't necessarily mean harder competition and therefore toughest to come out of.  Without studying all the 145 brackets for every region, I would say Region 4 was the toughest.  Region 4 only had 6 wrestlers but the chances of a 5 or 6 seed coming out of this regions was very slim.  Region 7 had 16 wrestlers but a 7th seeded wrestler placed 3rd.  

Region 7 had a decent amount of guys that would have been top seeds not wrestle to do injuries and other reasons the week leading up to tournament. We also let track wrestling seed the tournament and then make small changes if necessary. We have done that the past few years and about 80 percent of kids seeded place. It is pretty hard to seed a tournament with 16 guys in most classes without spending 6 hours arguing. When you have a 7th or 8th seed place it makes for an exciting finish and gives all the guys not seeded top 4 a chance. When you have bigger brackets anything can happen

46 minutes ago, FargoStrut said:

Did some looking into which regions were toughest to come out of and added up all the wrestlers in each region who DID NOT advance to the State Tournament. My math may be a little off but it's pretty dang close. Please feel free to double check me and see what you come up with. 

Region 1- 44 wrestlers didn't advance

Region 2- 13 ( yes, ONLY 13 wrestlers didn't qualify for the State Tournament in all 14 weight classes put together)!!! That's (5) 4 man brackets where everyone advanced and there were (6) 5 man brackets where all but 1 qualified. 7 man bracket at 195 was deepest bracket.

Region 3- 29 wrestlers didn't qualify for the state tournament.

Region 4- 39 wrestlers from here didn't advance past their region tournament.

Region 5- 89 wrestlers didn't advance past regions.

Region 6- 83 wrestlers didn't make it to state from this region.

Region 7- 118 kids wrestled their last match of the season at this region tournament. I knew this region would have alot, but honestly DID NOT expect it to be almost 30 more than the next closest region.

Region 8- 42 kids did not advance to the State Tournament from this region.

P.S.- Some unhappy assistant or Head Coach who doesn't like his administration NEEDS to start a wrestling program at Oak Ridge HS today!!! I PROMISE that you will be COMPETITVE TOMORROW with all the athletes walking the halls there, even if you end up in Region 3, and especially if you can get into Region 2!!!!

Wouldn’t be shocked if 2 from that crappy Region 2 make the finals, would you?

TSSAA needs to adjust...is that what your saying?

Let me say...i’m A region 2 dad...not dissing them.

We hated it, as well.

Edited by Twofdr

2 minutes ago, goblue1 said:

Region 7 had a decent amount of guys that would have been top seeds not wrestle to do injuries and other reasons the week leading up to tournament. We also let track wrestling seed the tournament and then make small changes if necessary. We have done that the past few years and about 80 percent of kids seeded place. It is pretty hard to seed a tournament with 16 guys in most classes without spending 6 hours arguing. When you have a 7th or 8th seed place it makes for an exciting finish and gives all the guys not seeded top 4 a chance. When you have bigger brackets anything can happen

I'm not arguing your seeding method MyBoyBlue.  I was just using your Region as an example since it was the largest and Fargo was saying a region with more wrestlers would be tougher to advance through to state.  My point is when a 7 seed places 3rd it is probably not the toughest region to advance through, even if it is the largest.  

20 minutes ago, ObserverW said:

This is a very interesting analysis but more numbers don't necessarily mean harder competition and therefore toughest to come out of.  Without studying all the 145 brackets for every region, I would say Region 4 was the toughest.  Region 4 only had 6 wrestlers but the chances of a 5 or 6 seed coming out of this regions was very slim.  Region 7 had 16 wrestlers but a 7th seeded wrestler placed 3rd.  

Yes, I agree that the Reg 4 145LB bracket had 4 very good wrestlers in it. Was just pointing out the fact that one region only had 13 kids in the entire tournament who didn't qualify for the state tournament in ALL 14 WEIGHT CLASSES COMBINED.

2 minutes ago, FargoStrut said:

Yes, I agree that the Reg 4 145LB bracket had 4 very good wrestlers in it. Was just pointing out the fact that one region only had 13 kids in the entire tournament who didn't qualify for the state tournament in ALL 14 WEIGHT CLASSES COMBINED.

Region 1 had really good 145 bracket, as well....

In fact, I would argue that Region 1 And 4 had the the top 6 145s between them.

Just now, FargoStrut said:

I agree that Region 2 needs to be revamped.  It seems there are some very good wrestlers out that way but some have no business in Franklin.  And before you jump on me, Region 8 also has some very weak weights-it appears we will send some kids to state with losing records.  The whole state could benefit from a region reshuffle.  

3 minutes ago, ObserverW said:

I'm not arguing your seeding method MyBoyBlue.  I was just using your Region as an example since it was the largest and Fargo was saying a region with more wrestlers would be tougher to advance through to state.  My point is when a 7 seed places 3rd it is probably not the toughest region to advance through, even if it is the largest.  

I'm def not saying Region 7 is the toughest region to qualify for bc it has the most wrestlers. I know that depends on the level of competition for each weight class in that region. However, what I am saying is that it would be much easier to qualify for JUST ABOUT ANY, IF NOT ALL weight classes in region 2 as opposed to any of the other 7 regions. 

1 minute ago, FargoStrut said:

I'm def not saying Region 7 is the toughest region to qualify for bc it has the most wrestlers. I know that depends on the level of competition for each weight class in that region. However, what I am saying is that it would be much easier to qualify for JUST ABOUT ANY, IF NOT ALL weight classes in region 2 as opposed to any of the other 7 regions. 

Touche!

2 minutes ago, ObserverW said:

I agree that Region 2 needs to be revamped.  It seems there are some very good wrestlers out that way but some have no business in Franklin.  And before you jump on me, Region 8 also has some very weak weights-it appears we will send some kids to state with losing records.  The whole state could benefit from a region reshuffle.  

Unfortunately, Region 2 and 8 are the way they are because of this recent years reshuffle.

11 minutes ago, Twofdr said:

Wouldn’t be shocked if 2 from that crappy Region 2 make the finals, would you?

TSSAA needs to adjust...is that what your saying?

Let me say...i’m A region 2 dad...not dissing them.

We hated it, as well.

Twofdr, yes, your region as a whole is just not very good. Halls is a good team and has some VERY GOOD wrestlers throughout their lineup and AC has a couple of good wrestlers but that's about it. That being said, there is a very good reason why AC made their first team duals state tournament last weekend and thats bc the 2nd best team in the region(Gibbs) decided to go win a state championship in small schools. I know it's not the coaches or kids fault that their region is about as deep as a shallow kiddie pool, but that is just the truth. Yes, you're correct in that I believe the TSSAA needs to make some adjustments/ additions to this region. I'll say it again, IF I lived near Oak Ridge and obviously I dont,  you would DEF have a little more competition!!!;)

7 minutes ago, FargoStrut said:

Twofdr, yes, your region as a whole is just not very good. Halls is a good team and has some VERY GOOD wrestlers throughout their lineup and AC has a couple of good wrestlers but that's about it. That being said, there is a very good reason why AC made their first team duals state tournament last weekend and thats bc the 2nd best team in the region(Gibbs) decided to go win a state championship in small schools. I know it's not the coaches or kids fault that their region is about as deep as a shallow kiddie pool, but that is just the truth. Yes, you're correct in that I believe the TSSAA needs to make some adjustments/ additions to this region. I'll say it again, IF I lived near Oak Ridge and obviously I dont,  you would DEF have a little more competition!!!;)

Agree completely....Halls has been a top 10 team for many years, no matter what.

Kiddie pool...maybe....but send whAtever 5th, 6th place kids you want....they still won’t snifff a medal...agreed?

32 minutes ago, Twofdr said:

Agree completely....Halls has been a top 10 team for many years, no matter what.

Kiddie pool...maybe....but send whAtever 5th, 6th place kids you want....they still won’t snifff a medal...agreed?

Yes, Halls has had some good teams for a long time and their coach was a great wrestler back in his day, but the drop off after them is very big. 

Not sure if I understand the part abt sending 5th or 6th place kids. I DO think some 5th and 6th place kids in other regions could/would have placed if they were in another region, but that's just the way the cookie crumbles sometimes. They prob would have gotten a medal at said region tournament, but most likely would have been 2 or possibly 3 and out at the State Tournament. Was this what you were referring to?