2017-2018 Pin-Tn Wrestlers of the Year

Hamm

7 minutes ago, cbg said:

You Sir are correct!  Having lived in California, PA, Maryland and Tennessee I know for a fact that the coaching in PA is unreal.  You have so many guys that are All-Americans going back and coaching at the high school level or even the youth level.  You have families driving 1.5 hours one way to train with Young Guns or Buxton.  Everywhere you turn there is a D1 AA working with kids and passing along valuable knowledge.  I am not for one minute knocking the Tennessee coaching but when you have 2 or 3 D1 AA's practicing with high schools kids it makes a major difference.

You both are correct, but ththunda, they got that way because they built their programs with MONEY! Go and look at the guy that built Blair into a national powerhouse, he did it because first he knew that it was cheaper equipment wise compared to other sports. He instead spent that on a budget to go out and get the best wrestlers they could find, one's that were proven and offered them a private education! McDonogh is doing the same now, do you really think Cooper Flynn went to them and said I want to wrestle for you, how can we make this happen? No, they go to the big tournament like Super 32(which TN is starting to go to more) and others like that and once they see a kid that can wrestle for them they sit down and talk and make it happen. Again read the article from Escalera, He didn't think it was possible at all for him to go to Wyoming Seminary to wrestle, he didn't apply for that, they came to him! Not like they have a wait list for wrestlers. Now that doesn't mean some kids show interest in them, however most all of those kids were handpicked by those schools to wrestle for them when they saw them at a national tournament.  I read a story on the coach that started Bergen Catholic, he said that going to those tournaments was his biggest thing, however he was going to them and losing 40 of 42 matches against them as his kids just couldn't cut it. He started to get kids out of the top kids tournaments and filling them into their lineup.  So yes recruiting is VERY important for these schools, just going to those tournaments isnt going to change that.

I mean Collins Hill went to some national tournaments years ago, Archer the same way, they still didnt get kids to move there because there were going to great wrestling schools and Baylor or McCallie would be the same way. They start going to Beast or any other big time tournament do you REALLY think that would set them apart to become national contenders?  

The way to get TN to move forward is to have better prepared kids that travel all over the country wrestling. That means having bigger and better youth clubs which is the basis for a good high school team. After that its holding on to those youth wrestlers to continue to get better and better. It was funny that out of all the things i couldnt really find(although I admit i cannot spend as much time as i would like) is that hardly any of those private schools will put down where the kid originally came from and I cannot find any youth programs for those private schools either, I just found articles of kids going to those schools after winning youth titles at Flo and super 32 and such.  But again the recruiting is their basis, some kids have their picks of schools

https://youth1.com/wrestling/1230804-top-youth-wrestler-heading-to-bergen-catholic

But i guarantee that kid had schools coming to him and not him going to them, and he picked the best school for himself. But don't kid yourself, just going to big tournaments and getting your butt whipped isnt going to build a big time program!

One prob I see is the majority of our youth and hs coaches are dads or buddies that wrestle 100 yrs ago that are too nice because if you get on their Lil Johnny too hard they will grab their ball and run home . A legit youth program will not care about anything but results and for that you have to have legit coaches and parents and to have that cheeeeese$ has to be generated 

4 minutes ago, Crybabees said:

One prob I see is the majority of our youth and hs coaches are dads or buddies that wrestle 100 yrs ago that are too nice because if you get on their Lil Johnny too hard they will grab their ball and run home . A legit youth program will not care about anything but results and for that you have to have legit coaches and parents and to have that cheeeeese$ has to be generated 

My job as a youth coach is not for you to win aau titles. So in that respect I do not care about those results. My job is to get you ready to win high school titles. Yes we're going to compete at the highest level we can and yes we're going out on the mat working to win every single time, however immediate results are not my goal. Long term success is.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

17 hours ago, WrestlingGod said:

My job as a youth coach is not for you to win aau titles. So in that respect I do not care about those results. My job is to get you ready to win high school titles. Yes we're going to compete at the highest level we can and yes we're going out on the mat working to win every single time, however immediate results are not my goal. Long term success is.

Well Said. 

• Upvote 1

Crybaby, does calling other people names get results on your side of town? Does it win you titles? 

Just because someone doesn't agree with you whole heartedly doesn't mean they disagree with you completely.  It simply means they don't agree with everything you say or said.

I'm curious about the very strategies you use to build your champion wrestlers.  Why don't you tell us a few truths.

1. Who are you really?

2. What are your credentials? 

3. What are your strategies for success?

4. How many kids have you put on the podium at state or sent to college to wrestle?

It's real easy to hide behind a screen name and throw barbs at people and it's another to get out there and weather the storm. 

I am probably in the 1 % of individuals who actually put their real name out there and yes it does open me up to sarcasm and ridicule but it also forces me to keep it real. How bout you and the others who banter away in grannies basement? Are you ready to add some positives to Tennessee wrestling or are you as well as others gonna continue to bash everyone who disagrees with you while hiding behind someone else?

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

It's coming along here!

We have had plenty involved but need more retiring talent, but...

Not doubt, Cleveland is an example of what publics can do to compete with not only Baylor, McCallie, Ryan and cbhs, but other power houses out of state too. 

Because of hand selected coaches, families seeing the potential for their boys there in Cleveland considering their facilities, feeder with Boskin & others, the Huge Bradley Co rivalry along with Walker Valley w/Al Sr, Check into Cash funding, decades of area tradition and Admin $upport... This program has clearly set themselves apart and recently traveled up Wyoming Seminary to see what else must be done to step it up to the next level. 

Now Cleveland can have a measuring stick.... They can go take on Buford Brandon Jefferson Camden Mater Dei Brother's Martin and know to some degree what they're up against to become Nationally ranked year in and year out.

As far as Middle Tennessee, beginning years ago with Bill Kennedy and his Sharpshooters and then with the support and passion continuing the growth and today as a result of this solidified tradition, record amounts of Hardware is coming out of the region 5,6,7 areas and these programs along with Nashville Catholic and Ryan has inspired other programs in all divisions like Beech like never before with Jeff Roberts and Wilson Central of course with Kramer and Hamm. Spring Hill, Greenbrier, Forrest, Eagleville, Harpeth, Indy with Grinder, Tullahoma with Al Jr., Nolensville with Peck, Siegal with Ramsey, Brentwood & My Juliet (well after GP West's years, we still have the Simpsons, Chuck Bean passionately building with Copper Heads,  Jeremy Welder & Oddo of Franklin, Welder now doing Spring Hill's feeder with WG, maybe Hillar and friends still involved, Angelo Giasanti now at Polk Co, Tn, and others I'm forgetting, but once again ol Hamm who sacrificed a great deal of time and his passion for the sport 15+ years ago to help young ones in Rutherford Co along with Blackman before Mr Bray transferred up to continue building a regular top 10-12 tradition there which also helped establish what we have today in the area)

Kudos!

Sommers,

You do realize that Father Ryan has wrestled Mater Dei and Buford in the past.  They used to go to the Mater Dei tournament and they used to come to the Father Ryan tournament; however, they can't come now because of State rules.  Ryan has wrestled Archer when they were the top dog until their coaches moved to Buford and went to the Buford tournament last year.  I believe that Cleveland used to have Archer come to their tournament for years so these teams are wrestling the top dog.  So it is not only Cleveland going to the major tournaments but Baylor and McCallie and Christian Brothers travel and wrestle the top competition every year.  As far as Nashville Catholic, McCallie and Baylor youth, they have always traveled all over the country to get to better competition.  This did not start when the Sharpshooters began, these programs and wrestlers have been doing this for years as well as many other programs that I am not well versed.  

I do recall. Appreciate the reminder.

Yes face, keeping it consistent will help with the publics, and especially a will funded Cleveland doing more of what you pointed out like with the privates heading to KC stampede and such. 

I misspoke on Retiring talent ...I meant returning talent, like more college grads to help. Especially with Maintaining and growing feeder programs like the Copper Heads where again, 81 grad Chuck Bean would love to have new blood come in. I'm sure there's others right under it noses.