Penny to University of Memphis??????

OldSportsGuy

16 hours ago, osunut2 said:

I'm happy to see the NBA seriously talking about ending the one-and-done rule and even expanding the draft. I never thought the NBA would be interested in reversing that rule, simply because reverting back to the old rule (allowing 18-year olds to go pro) doesn't really benefit the league. Which is why investing in the G-League is a big part of addressing that issue. D-League players currently earn $19k-26k per season, so that will definitely have to improve; based on current proposals, the G-League could offer $50k-75k salaries. For reference, league minimum in the NBA is currently set just below $550k/yr.

$100k/yr is a good living, depending on where you live. There's also a difference between making that money for 5 years vs. making that money for 35 years. Granted, some of these kids (and adults) can't see beyond the end of their nose, and some of these kids have zero interest in a career outside of basketball, but there are still plenty of people out there who understand that you can't play basketball forever and that a good college degree is a much better long-term financial solution.

I will be happy to inevitably see the one-and-done rule go, but I honestly don't think the developmental league will have much of an impact on college basketball unless the salaries significantly increase.

Exactly. $26000 a year is nothing. They can make much more than that currently in college if they are good enough. That is truth.

The G league is garbage basketball. Have you watched it at all?  Few high school age kids are ready mentally or physically for an 82 game schedule.

11 minutes ago, bigchief said:

The G league is garbage basketball. Have you watched it at all?  Few high school age kids are ready mentally or physically for an 82 game schedule.

It is garbage, that's for sure. It's like watching summer league basketball. IMO, it is a 3rd/4th-tier league, easily behind a number of euro leagues. I believe they currently play a 50-game schedule, which is a step up from the ~35-game college schedule.

We'll see if they put their money with their mouth is, but the NBA wants a true minor league system. If they do, they have to expand the draft, they have to offer more money to G-league players (to keep players from going overseas), and they have to dedicate resources to player development.

33 minutes ago, osunut2 said:

It is garbage, that's for sure. It's like watching summer league basketball. IMO, it is a 3rd/4th-tier league, easily behind a number of euro leagues. I believe they currently play a 50-game schedule, which is a step up from the ~35-game college schedule.

We'll see if they put their money with their mouth is, but the NBA wants a true minor league system. If they do, they have to expand the draft, they have to offer more money to G-league players (to keep players from going overseas), and they have to dedicate resources to player development.

I say if the NBA is serious about a developmental league there will be a significant amount of dollars thrown at it which will make it very interesting to young kids.

I would love to see kids being eligible for the draft out of high school and then a 2 year wait if they are not drafted out of high school.

Also would not mind allowing kids to have an agent that is approved by the NCAA and allow them to enter the draft and return to college if they are not drafted.

Why not just use the  same system MLB does?

Straight out of high school or juco since many of them are non-qualifiers legally.

OR sign with 4 year school you are locked in for 3 years. Actually a pretty good system.

NBA has historically not wanted to spend much of anything on the D league or G League re-brand.

1 hour ago, Rade Butcher said:

Hiring Hardaway would be a PR and recruiting coupe...and an absolute coaching disaster. They would be much better hiring Thad Mata or Tom Crean...seriously.

Hard pass on Matta. I'm not even sure why he's getting serious consideration at Ole Miss and Georgia. He's a solid coach, but he's had some major health concerns the past few years, which had a lot to do with his decline (and ultimate departure) at Ohio State.

5 hours ago, osunut2 said:

Hard pass on Matta. I'm not even sure why he's getting serious consideration at Ole Miss and Georgia. He's a solid coach, but he's had some major health concerns the past few years, which had a lot to do with his decline (and ultimate departure) at Ohio State.

Maybe but Matta is a proven coach...Hardaway isn't.

You know how much NCAA made on march madness last year 800 million . Players want to be able to get an agent have endorsement deals get paid etc. players and coaches all get together and boycott . Can you imagine this Tuesday or even Thursday when the true tournament begins all teams refused to take the floor till NCAA agreed to at least look at that situation . I know it would never happen but NCAA would cave because this tournament is their big money maker . They made 1 billion dollars last year . 800 million coming from march madness . They would have to listen 

On 3/8/2018 at 8:40 AM, OldSportsGuy said:

I say if the NBA is serious about a developmental league there will be a significant amount of dollars thrown at it which will make it very interesting to young kids.

I would love to see kids being eligible for the draft out of high school and then a 2 year wait if they are not drafted out of high school.

Also would not mind allowing kids to have an agent that is approved by the NCAA and allow them to enter the draft and return to college if they are not drafted.

Would love to see this put into place, instead of expanding the G-League. Would be much more useful for everyone, players and colleges if this was the system that was used for basketball.