State tournament refs

whoop

2 hours ago, ButwhatdoIknow said:

I completely agree. The foul call on the 3 pt shot didn't look like a foul on replay, and the no call previously was terrible as well. But you can't take either one back. However the refs can't compound that mistake by completely losing control over the game, while a freshman is having to wrap their head around winning a state championship by hitting free throws. Dana broke the cardinal rules of touching a ref and being not only out of the box but at half court arguing a call, and I have never in a whole life around basketball seen a coach act that way and not get popped.  They were unlucky on the fall call, but supremely lucky she didn't get at least one tech no matter how bad the call was. So I think that was a wash. Upperman was a better team, and anyone arguing different is flat wrong. You don't beat a team 5 times and not just be better, with a next level player like Levy. Congrats to Upperman, period. But also to not think that it could have very easily been a different outcome with refs that weren't so poor is not being objective either. 

I know she is very lucky she didn’t get a technical and ejected. 

I worked all 21 games at the state tournament doing stats. Where I was placed I sat right next to the home bench, at the scorers table, and I have done so all year as I keep stats for a local high school as well to help them out. I worked probably close to 100 high school games keeping stats at the table with officials from all over the state. What I saw at the state tournament in the Bradley Houston game with the ref that called the technical was ridiculous. It started with a warning to a coach for being out of his box. When you watch the film, the play is on the opposite end of the floor. The ref who called it is on the opposite baseline, and is peeking past players as they are dribbling towards him, and stops play to call Reuter out of his box 85 feet away from him. The technical foul is the weakest technical foul I have ever seen in my life. He had not said anything to the referees up to that point other than trying to figure out what the warning was for. He gave the traveling motion, when the girl clearly dragged her foot a good two or three feet after she picked up her dribble. He had already stopped giving the motion, and two seconds later the official calls the technical. That same official had been terrible the night before in the Gatlinburg-Pitman game. As soon as I saw his name on the list for day three I was concerned. Even after he called the technical, he could be seen staring Reuter down out of timeouts, and when the play was on his benches side. He had been staring him down the entire game. Meanwhile, in the AA state final Upperman's coach is at half court, all over two officials, and I hear "Coach get back to your box, we will figure this out." Bradley was only told that there could have been better communication between the officials and coaches about giving hand signals and that life isn't fair sometimes. I find it ridiculous. I have lived in other states and in the West Virginia Secondary Schools Athletic Commission (WVSSAC), the coaches rate the officials after every game 1-5, with one being the best, and if they give them a four or five, they have to write a letter to the state explaining why they gave them that. Officials also have to fill out a report after every technical they give, and explain why they gave it, and it also has to include the two teams, score, time and quarter of the game. The TSSAA has no accountability, and I find it extremely frustrating. I will give them this. That official did not call a state championship game, but was a stand by official. At that level I feel that the TSSAA is not only the one to blame. The assigner for the Middle Tennessee association (the association that specific referee was from) should be asked why he recommended him to call the state tournament. There needs to be more accountability not just for officials, but for the TSSAA as a whole. Until there is, you will continue to have problems like this, and the way it is looking it will only get worse. 

• Like 5

On ‎3‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 4:32 PM, statistician96 said:

I worked all 21 games at the state tournament doing stats. Where I was placed I sat right next to the home bench, at the scorers table, and I have done so all year as I keep stats for a local high school as well to help them out. I worked probably close to 100 high school games keeping stats at the table with officials from all over the state. What I saw at the state tournament in the Bradley Houston game with the ref that called the technical was ridiculous. It started with a warning to a coach for being out of his box. When you watch the film, the play is on the opposite end of the floor. The ref who called it is on the opposite baseline, and is peeking past players as they are dribbling towards him, and stops play to call Reuter out of his box 85 feet away from him. The technical foul is the weakest technical foul I have ever seen in my life. He had not said anything to the referees up to that point other than trying to figure out what the warning was for. He gave the traveling motion, when the girl clearly dragged her foot a good two or three feet after she picked up her dribble. He had already stopped giving the motion, and two seconds later the official calls the technical. That same official had been terrible the night before in the Gatlinburg-Pitman game. As soon as I saw his name on the list for day three I was concerned. Even after he called the technical, he could be seen staring Reuter down out of timeouts, and when the play was on his benches side. He had been staring him down the entire game. Meanwhile, in the AA state final Upperman's coach is at half court, all over two officials, and I hear "Coach get back to your box, we will figure this out." Bradley was only told that there could have been better communication between the officials and coaches about giving hand signals and that life isn't fair sometimes. I find it ridiculous. I have lived in other states and in the West Virginia Secondary Schools Athletic Commission (WVSSAC), the coaches rate the officials after every game 1-5, with one being the best, and if they give them a four or five, they have to write a letter to the state explaining why they gave them that. Officials also have to fill out a report after every technical they give, and explain why they gave it, and it also has to include the two teams, score, time and quarter of the game. The TSSAA has no accountability, and I find it extremely frustrating. I will give them this. That official did not call a state championship game, but was a stand by official. At that level I feel that the TSSAA is not only the one to blame. The assigner for the Middle Tennessee association (the association that specific referee was from) should be asked why he recommended him to call the state tournament. There needs to be more accountability not just for officials, but for the TSSAA as a whole. Until there is, you will continue to have problems like this, and the way it is looking it will only get worse. 

Did Coach Reuter hire you to write this propaganda? Or did he write it for you and paid you to post it? :roflol:

On 3/24/2018 at 0:51 PM, hohmaster said:

Did Coach Reuter hire you to write this propaganda? Or did he write it for you and paid you to post it? :roflol:

Oh, I'm sorry. Am I not allowed to have an opinion on things based off of the close to a thousand basketball games I have kept stats for since I was the age of 12. I have worked games from AAU and high school summer camp games, to state tournaments, and even a Men's Final Four. I thought I was able to speak my opinion. I just want to know how he hurt you, or what family member of yours he cut for you to attack him the way you do, and to go out of your way to practically comment on every post that mentions how good of a coach he is or about his successes. But oh well I guess you can have your opinion and I can have mine. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...