National Team Lineup

KingGreene

Some are more “deserving “ than the kids that went? Two kids were called by name in a previous post, not to mention other threads. I didn’t say you called them out personally Purple Wrestler. I completely understand where you guys are coming from, I honestly do. Just don’t get why anything was said to begin with. Just get behind the team from the get go. Most will not travel to middle TN for one maybe two matches for a what if trip to Iowa. Just step back and look at what’s been said from the other side of the fence if you are able to do so with no bias. It’s never going to be a perfect system no matter how you look at it. It’s sad that you can’t get on here and have discussion without all the negativity. 

On ‎4‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 4:21 PM, Norseman said:

Some are more “deserving “ than the kids that went? Two kids were called by name in a previous post, not to mention other threads. I didn’t say you called them out personally Purple Wrestler. I completely understand where you guys are coming from, I honestly do. Just don’t get why anything was said to begin with. Just get behind the team from the get go. Most will not travel to middle TN for one maybe two matches for a what if trip to Iowa. Just step back and look at what’s been said from the other side of the fence if you are able to do so with no bias. It’s never going to be a perfect system no matter how you look at it. It’s sad that you can’t get on here and have discussion without all the negativity. 

I wasn't the one who named anyone specifically but I 100% agree that there were wrestlers who were left off the team, that were never asked to participate, who finished higher at state than others who were on the team.  Does that make anyone not deserving to be on the team, no BUT it was a disservice to those who were left off!  Call it semantics or whatever you please, but if it hurts your feelings by saying someone who finished ahead of another in the state tournament is more deserving, then maybe you need to get out of your snowflake bubble.  If I finish with a state medal and you do not, then I DESERVE to be offered the spot before you do.  Sorry if you feel that is negative but that's just the facts bro.

I think it is great that all our National teams had success in Iowa, but again I MUST be left to wonder what might have been IF we had given ourselves the best opportunity to win with the best available wrestlers.  

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, ObserverW said:

I wasn't the one who named anyone specifically but I 100% agree that there were wrestlers who were left off the team, that were never asked to participate, who finished higher at state than others who were on the team.  Does that make anyone not deserving to be on the team, no BUT it was a disservice to those who were left off!  Call it semantics or whatever you please, but if it hurts your feelings by saying someone who finished ahead of another in the state tournament is more deserving, then maybe you need to get out of your snowflake bubble.  If I finish with a state medal and you do not, then I DESERVE to be offered the spot before you do.  Sorry if you feel that is negative but that's just the facts bro.

I think it is great that all our National teams had success in Iowa, but again I MUST be left to wonder what might have been IF we had given ourselves the best opportunity to win with the best available wrestlers.  

Snowflake!  LOL, I promise you I’m the furthest thing from it. Your smart comments really prove exactly what I’m saying. You don’t know me from Adam but yet you feel you can throw a low blow without knowing me. I promise I’ve done more in my life in 11 years of my life on earth than most of you could even begin to fathom. Anyhow,  I’m definitely not disagreeing with you on a state champ or even possibly a medalist not being offered a spot. I wasn’t there when calls were being made as I’m assuming neither were you! Rest assured I’m pretty certain that all potential candidates were considered. Maybe it was poor wording and I misunderstood what you meant be deserving. Due to the size of our state it is virtually unfair in any circumstance. As they say if a frog had wings, I’m sure you know the rest. Anyhow it is what is and there will never be something in place to make everyone happy. Have a good night, enjoy the bantering.

18 hours ago, Norseman said:

Snowflake!  LOL, I promise you I’m the furthest thing from it. Your smart comments really prove exactly what I’m saying. You don’t know me from Adam but yet you feel you can throw a low blow without knowing me. I promise I’ve done more in my life in 11 years of my life on earth than most of you could even begin to fathom. Anyhow,  I’m definitely not disagreeing with you on a state champ or even possibly a medalist not being offered a spot. I wasn’t there when calls were being made as I’m assuming neither were you! Rest assured I’m pretty certain that all potential candidates were considered. Maybe it was poor wording and I misunderstood what you meant be deserving. Due to the size of our state it is virtually unfair in any circumstance. As they say if a frog had wings, I’m sure you know the rest. Anyhow it is what is and there will never be something in place to make everyone happy. Have a good night, enjoy the bantering.

I can promise you, not all medalists were called. Not even close. And his point is spot on, excuse of lack of time is not a valid excuse. We are talking about kids that felt the EARNED the chance to represent the state.

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, PurpleWrestler said:

I can promise you, not all medalists were called. Not even close. And his point is spot on, excuse of lack of time is not a valid excuse. We are talking about kids that felt the EARNED the chance to represent the state.

Again opinions are like buttholes. We all know the rest of the story. I’m pretty certain none of us were around when these teams were put together. I honestly could care less who was or was not on this team. I was just pointing out the fact that these guys who volunteered their time should not be called out because they didn’t pick the most popular kid in the room. Seriously how many of you were asked to coach this team? Maybe there is a reason for that. If it bothers you this bad step up and make an actual difference vs whining on some forum and calling out those who volunteer their time. Also, you’re telling me the kids who went didn’t feel they “deserved “ to represent the state? I honestly don’t know why I’m wasting my time debating with people who know everything about everything.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Norseman said:

Again opinions are like buttholes. We all know the rest of the story. I’m pretty certain none of us were around when these teams were put together. I honestly could care less who was or was not on this team. I was just pointing out the fact that these guys who volunteered their time should not be called out because they didn’t pick the most popular kid in the room. Seriously how many of you were asked to coach this team? Maybe there is a reason for that. If it bothers you this bad step up and make an actual difference vs whining on some forum and calling out those who volunteer their time. Also, you’re telling me the kids who went didn’t feel they “deserved “ to represent the state? I honestly don’t know why I’m wasting my time debating with people who know everything about everything.

Norseflake, I hope you are not a defense lawyer because you would have several clients in jail.  You are basically confirming everything we are saying about how the team was chosen.  NO, we were not around when the teams were put together.  My point exactly.  No one is berating the coaches for not putting in their time and effort, we all appreciate the fact that coaches are volunteering.  But just as you say, none of us were asked to coach the team.  The issue lies with the fact that not having a coach on the team should not eliminate a wrestler from consideration for the team.  I don't think any of the wrestlers on the team felt that they didn't deserve to be there, those who felt slighted were the ones who had beaten others on the team or finished ahead of them at region/state and are sitting home because they didn't get a chance to wrestle-off for the spot.  If logistics wouldn't allow for a wrestle-off (which is an invalid excuse, wrestlers would have made the trip, if there is one thing wrestling parents don't mind its a road trip for wrestling) but lets just say it wasn't possible, at the very least, an email to all the coaches in the state could have been drafted to determine interest.  At that point go from top down.  Medalists get first right of refusal.  It is pretty simple.  Or, there are only 14 weight classes, beginning with the top placing freshmen/sophomores, it might have taken 25 phone calls/text messages to get the MOST deserving wrestlers on the team. And yes I said it!  There were wrestlers who were MORE deserving who were not given the opportunity.  

Its obvious that your son was chosen for the team and very peculiar that you are so quick to defend the selection method.  Lets assume your son is one of the medalists who was the top freshman/sophomore in his weight class, if he was left at home would you be on here defending the selection method?  

I hope that my non-inclusive statements do not force you to your safe place.

• Like 1

Just a few random thoughts that are probably going to hurt some peoples feelings:

1.  This is not the first time that the very best wrestlers in Tennessee were not ask to be on a national team and it will not be the last.

2.  Coaches like most everyone have things come up from time to time after they have committed to do something and for whatever reason they feel that they must back out of their prior commitment.  

3.  I have had multiple coaches look me in the eye and say that if they are going to donate their personal time and energy to coach a national team they are going to put their kids on that team, period and end of story.

4.  These actions are nothing more than  "DADDY BALL" and you see this every year in various youth sports.  In the long run it benefits no one and instead of bringing people together it alienates people and sometimes friends.

5.  Long gone are the day's of Doug Newman, Al Miller, David Scott, Brian Dunning and Doug Mays traveling all over the country to coach kids from Tennessee  that they hardly knew.  

6.  The mentality of most people today is that they are not going to doing anything that does not benefit them directly.  

7.  Back in the 70's and 80's when you had college teams at UTC, University of Tennessee, MTSU, Tennessee Tech, Sewanee, Maryville, Carson Newman, etc... you had many more qualified individuals to help coach teams and officiate matches.  The college coaches would encourage the wrestlers to workout with the high school kids and even help coach them during the offseason.  You just don't get that type of support today and IMO it hurts high school wrestling in Tennessee.  

Edited by cbg
  • Like 1