UTC Team Camp Review June 2018

CoachDamonSmith

Hi TN Wrestling Family,

As a coach, I was a little hesitant on going to the UTC Team Camp, but WOW was I so glad we took our team.  I had attended many camps around the country as a dedicated wrestler in Oklahoma.  I was also coached and influenced by John Smith at Okie State in the early 90's, and able to coach under the legendary Pat Simpson (Father Ryan) for several years before becoming the head coach at Brentwood High last year.  I want to do as much as I can for the success of my team, Tennessee wrestling and our athletes.

I was so impressed by Coach Heath Eslinger (UTC) and Coach Eric Phillips (Cleveland HS).  These coaches and friends really get it.  They opened my eyes to things as a man and a coach on and off the mat! 

Coach Ethan Reeve (UTC) shared how they strength train and how they run their lifts for wrestlers.  What a quality man and class act!  Coach Eslinger describes Coach Reeve as the Cael Sanderson of strength training.

The days would run like this with the 350+ wrestlers: 

Breakfast
Technique Session w/ quality wrestling technicians, Olympians, College and HS Coaches. It was legit!
Duals - There were a total of 20 teams (mostly complete) made up of some different schools and fill ins and others.  We would dual against another team after each technique session totaling 10 duals over 3 1/2 days.  It did not matter about wins or losses, just kids getting better.
Lunch
Coaches Meetings - This is where I grew as a coach, learning how to hold quality parent meetings, team cultures and creating a positive team environment.  
Team Time - We spent time getting to know things about each other; sharing highs and lows, becoming better teammates, supporting each other.  If we work on this as coaches, then kids will like being around each other more and the wrestling will take care of itself!  
Technique Session
Duals
Dinner
Motivational Speaker/ Dance Offs, Etc. (Fun Time)
Technique Session
Duals

Bed Time

We slept in the dorms and that was an experience within itself.  The food was pretty good and we appreciated the staff for a good experience.  I feel like one of the reasons that Chatta area schools are where they are is b/c of the UTC program and its exposure to the kids that live in that area.  I know that I really liked wrestling growing up due to OU and OSU wrestling and that exposure. 

In conclusion, I highly urge you to have the UTC experience with your team.  Let Coach Eslinger, Coach Eric Phillips and Coach Rocco Mansueto rub off on you as a coach and a man.  Let your wrestlers have experiences with the UTC wrestlers.  Let's continue to grow Tennessee wrestling!

For some fun pictures and videos follow our team on Twitter: Brentwood Wrestling

Coach Damon Smith
615-545-6418