Best teams that didn't win State Title

REBELRON

Here are some great teams that didn't win state titles.

2002 Hillsboro. Maryville beat them 29-26 to win the 4A title. This was the best team a Maryville team has beaten along with Elizabethon's 98 team. Hillsboro was better in 2002 than they were in 2003 even though they won state title in 2003.

1998 Elizabethon. Maryville won the State Title when they beat Elizabethon. Elizabethon was by far the best team Maryville played that year. Shaun Witten was the best quarterback Maryville ever played against.

Maryville 1984. Maryville had a great offensive line that year. Defense was tough that year. I believe If Troy Hodge had never got hurt Maryville win's state that year. Hodge was Maryville's break away threat that year.

Rhea County 1986. I watched Rhea County destroy Maryville in a scrimmage that year. Andy Kelly was a very good high school quarterback who had a good career at UT. I thought Rhea County was as good as AE that year. Halls upset Rhea County that year and won the state title theirselves.

Riverdale 1999. I watched my nephews Centennial team take on Riverdale that year. Riverdale looked like a small college team. They had pretty good size but had speed to burn. I couldn't believe they lost in the 1st round of the playoffs.

Dobyns Bennett 2000. They scrimmaged Maryville that year and killed Maryville. Dobyns Bennett had a great running back combo that year. They lost to a great Red Bank team in the semifinals.

MOWest 2001 . MOWest was a great team that year. Only team to beat Maryville in 2001. MHS returned favor in the playoffs. MOWest was better in 2001 than they were this past season. MOWest had a defense almost as good as the 2003 team but offensively they were much,much better in 2001.

1993 Brentood Academy. They were 14-0 going into the 4a title game. Well coached disciplined team. Beat a couple of highly rated teams that year. Lost to a great Cleveland team in the title game.

There are the teams I can think of.

How about the Todd Helton led Central team. They lost to Oak Ridge in the semi's, I think. I believe the score was 50-43 Oak Ridge. They were supposed to be the 2 best in the state that year. I still hear people say it was the best HS game ever in this part of the state.

I forgot all about the 1992 Clinton Dragon team. They drilled Maryville 46-14 in the 1st round of the playoffs. They were very good.Clinton lost to Gallatin in the finals.

I never saw the Todd Helton led Central team. I heard they were very good in 1990-91. I know several people who were at that Central vs Oak Ridge playoff game in 1991.They said it was the best game they ever seen.