Best teams that didn't win State Title

REBELRON

1993--White House lost in the semifinals to Springfield after having beaten the Jackets earlier in the year. The final score on a rainy, mud-filled field was 12-6. The winner faced a McMinn Central team that had managed to pull off several upsets on their way to the Clinic Bowl.

Springfield demolished the Chargers in the title tilt.

MBA 1996--- Will Bartholomew-3yr starter at UT, Max Fuller-all time total offense leader at Sewanee, Scott Denbo-- top 50 in the world in the shot put, track captain at Princeton-- played BA toe to toe in the semis, lost in double or triple OT-- and BA went on to win the title game over Jeff County easily, by at least 2 TDs. THe MBA-BA semi final was the real state title game that year--- I've heard that from a number of the BA players and fans.

I would say the Travis Stephens team of 96 (Clarksville NE) would be one of the best teams to ever hit the field from what I have read...didn't they have three 1000 yard rushers on one team? Lost to BA if I recall in the semi's.

I watched both the BA/Clarksville NE and BA/MBA games in 96. Those were two outstanding games, but the Clarksville game stood out in my memory because the final score was 7-3 with the Eagles winning. The speed demonstrated by both teams was mind numbing. I have never seen team speed like that from both teams. Neither team could do a thing on offense. Clarksville picked off a pass early in the game deep in BA territory, but settled for a field goal. Then BA's QB (Lance Phillips?) completed a hail mary right before the half was over to finish the scoring for the whole game.

The BA/MBA game may have truly matched the two best teams that year, but the Clarksville/BA game was more memorable to me.

MBA 1996--- Will Bartholomew-3yr starter at UT, Max Fuller-all time total offense leader at Sewanee, Scott Denbo-- top 50 in the world in the shot put, track captain at Princeton-- played BA toe to toe in the semis, lost in double or triple OT-- and BA went on to win the title game over Jeff County easily, by at least 2 TDs. THe MBA-BA semi final was the real state title game that year--- I've heard that from a number of the BA players and fans.

Manzikert, I'll back up your statement. What a legendary game -- my favorite BA game ever. The game was tied 10-10 going into overtime, and both teams scored touchdowns in the first OT. Then MBA got the ball and BA forced a FG. The Eagles drove to the 1 yard line on 4th down, and Flatt decided to go for the win. Tito Lee plunged through the MBA line and into the end zone for the victory.

One correction, though -- it was actually the state quarterfinals. BA beat Germantown 17-6 the following week before lambasting Jefferson County 28-7 in the Clinic Bowl.

MBA had a fine team that year. What a game it was.

I watched both the BA/Clarksville NE and BA/MBA games in 96. Those were two outstanding games, but the Clarksville game stood out in my memory because the final score was 7-3 with the Eagles winning. The speed demonstrated by both teams was mind numbing. I have never seen team speed like that from both teams. Neither team could do a thing on offense. Clarksville picked off a pass early in the game deep in BA territory, but settled for a field goal. Then BA's QB (Lance Phillips?) completed a hail mary right before the half was over to finish the scoring for the whole game.

The BA/MBA game may have truly matched the two best teams that year, but the Clarksville/BA game was more memorable to me.

Savoy, the BA-NE game was my SECOND favorite BA game ever, but it was actually in 1995. The only reason the Lance Phillips-to-Ryan Huskey TD was possible was because of a pass interference call on Northeast -- it was scored on an untimed down. What a game! After beating NE in the semis, the Eagles topped Riverdale 27-16 to take the title.

Thanks for the clarification WesVols. I guess my memory fades over time. I now recall that BA beat up on MBA in 95 at BA and the "classic" game was at MBA in 96.

Thanks for reminding me of the pass interference and untimed down. I had forgotten that.

Thanks for the clarification WesVols. I guess my memory fades over time. I now recall that BA beat up on MBA in 95 at BA and the "classic" game was at MBA in 96.

Thanks for reminding me of the pass interference and untimed down. I had forgotten that.

Sav, I'm the exact same way...I brag about remembering scores from ages ago, but frequently discover my memory to be a devious liar. :blink:

Here are some great teams that didn't win state titles.

Dobyns Bennett 2000. They scrimmaged Maryville that year and killed Maryville. Dobyns Bennett had a great running back combo that year. They lost to a great Red Bank team in the semifinals.

The DB team in 2000 was very strong. As you said, they ended up losing a fairly close game in a torrential downpour at Red Bank. One of the best DB teams in recent years.