Greatest Athletes

mustang69

I see many familiar names on the list so far from Carroll Co.. Some of these athletes haven't really stood the "test of time" yet but are well on their way. In addition to the McKenzie athletes that Sauce listed I'd like to add a few from McKenzie that surely deserve a mention.

Kermit Holland---Bethel

H.B. "Swat" Scarbrough---Bethel

Charles "Punk" Akers---Murray State

Doug & David Paschall---Sewanee (Univ. of the South)

Julius Simms---Virginia State

Ben Howard---Memphis State

Keeping the idea of this post in mind, I'll not list all athletes that have gone on to play college ball in some sport or other. All the above were multi-sport athletes and great at them all. I will give an honorable mention to some of the younger athletes from McKenzie that still have to prove the test of time.

Duck,

What about our own Shannon Hayes?  Won a National Championship w/ Western Ky in football. 

And wasnt the slowest kid in the pack!!!!!  When he played baseball, if he made it too first you might as well let him go on to second b/c he was going to take it from you.

Josh Stenberg---Bethel

Taylor Holland---Centre

I'll stop for now and this thread could easily carry over to the next winter sport forum!!!

The two very best that I'VE seen in my life are Tim Priest and George Abernathy!!!! You couldn't spit on the difference in the athletic ability, toughness, heart and performance of those two. Both were multi-sport athletes and both played football in the SEC! 

However, two of the possible best from Carroll Co. are doing their thing right now as we speak. OK ya'll, not trying to start a dispute between county rivals at all,but, two more that will surely appear on this list in the future are Chris Donald and Drew Hayes. Both are multi-sport and great at them. I grew up with George Abernathy even though he played a couple of years after me, I saw every game he played. And I played against Tim Priest and knew him distantly. But, these two "young guns" may well raise the bar for all the others mentioned on here.

Just my $.02 worth.

825477053[/snapback]

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

biglon68,

When I checked further, Les Bingaman was born in McKenzie but, spent some time in the Trezevant school system before moving north. Check me on this but, he played for the Dolphins did he not? Confirm that for me and I'll expain why I asked.

I remember seeing Gene Hickerson playing for Ole Miss on TV (black and white of course) when I was a kid and, also watching him play for the Browns on TV. I was all but certain it was the Browns he played for.

volsandtitans1,

You know, I thought about naming Shannon Hayes and I'm not sure why I didn't finally do it. You're right though, he should be on the list!!!!! The most special thing I remember about Shannon is that I never saw a kid with more of a winner's heart!! He was dead serious when he walked into the locker room! And, as you mentioned, one of the fastest humans I've ever watched!!!! That boy had a set of wheels!!!!!!!

Edited by duckman38201

biglon68,

When I checked further, Les Bingaman was born in McKenzie but, spent some time in the Trezevant school system before moving north. Check me on this but, he played for the Dolphins did he not? Confirm that for me and I'll expain why I asked.

I remember seeing Gene Hickerson playing for Ole Miss on TV (black and white of course) when I was a kid and, also watching him play for the Browns on TV. I was all but certain it was the Browns he played for.

volsandtitans1,

You know, I thought about naming Shannon Hayes and I'm not sure why I didn't finally do it. You're right though, he should be on the list!!!!! The most special thing I remember about Shannon is that I never saw a kid with more of a winner's heart!! He was dead serious when he walked into the locker room! And, as you mentioned, one of the fastest humans I've ever watched!!!! That boy had a set of wheels!!!!!!!

825480307[/snapback]

According to the Pro Football Encyclopedia Bingaman was born in 1926 which would have made him 40 years old during Miami's first season in the league in 1966. He may have worked for the Dolphins organization because he died in Miami in 1970. Check out Bingaman at:

http://www.footballcardgallery.com/1954+Bowman/29/

Gene Hickerson played for the Cleveland Browns from 1958 thru 1973. Checkout Hickerson at:

http://www.footballcardgallery.com/1966+Philadelphia/45/

biglon68,

That sounds more like what probably happened. Les may have played there but, I was all but positive he coached/worked for the Dolphins. Les's funeral was in McKenzie and I can remember MANY of the Dolphins being in McKenzie for the funeral. Kind of a shocker for a little town like McKenzie. Thanks. It was just such a long time ago that I was having trouble remembering exactly what the deal was.

Edited by duckman38201

biglon68,

That sounds more like what probably happened. Les may have played there but, I was all but positive he coached/worked for the Dolphins. Les's funeral was in McKenzie and I can remember MANY of the Dolphins being in McKenzie for the funeral. Kind of a shocker for a little town like McKenzie. Thanks. It was just such a long time ago that I was having trouble remembering exactly what the deal was.

825481115[/snapback]

Duck,

You ask about Coach Hartsfield. He coached w/ me at McKenzie also and the last time I talked to him, he was somewhere in Memphis. Ben was a good guy and he loved football.

volsandtitans1,

I'll make it official now and add to the list:

Shannon Hayes-------McKenzie

Shannon was also a multi-sport athlete and on Western Kentucky's National Champ. team (wide receiver and whatever else you needed a "burner" for) and a VERY good baseball player as well. The kid could absolutely fly!!!!!!!

825480310[/snapback]

Hayes only played high school football his junior and senior years. His speed got him a full ride to Western Ky. University through the help of Coach Bill Koen and Paul Jones. Hayes was made an offer to try out for the Canadian league, but turned it down. He is currently finishing his engineering degree at Western. A great kid. Thanks for putting him on the list, Duck.

From McKenzie, I would like to Bring up David Barksdale, QB/LB and All State Return Man for the Rebels in 85. 

Also a guy younger than me but a fantastic Baseball player-Greg Strickland.  Was in the Minor Leagues last I heard.

825482015[/snapback]

Strick was a heck of a baseball player. He was drafted by the Cubs after a playing for Vol State in Gallatin. Then he was traded to the Braves. He was so wanting to get traded to worst team in the majors. He knew he would never make the show w/ the Braves. I have not talked to him in over 3 years. I dont know if he is still in the minors or not.

RollonRebels,

Glad to put Shannon on there. He is one of the greats from the county in my book. There are many that deserve a mention/recognition on this thread. Hey, this is an open thread, if you have athletes in mind, put their name in!!!! Coach Koen and Paul Jones helped a lot of kids from McKenzie in one way or another.

And I'll agree that Greg Strictland was/is also another great athlete from Carroll Co.

volsandtitans1,

Yeah, I thought a lot of Ben too. It was easy to tell he loved football. Hope he is doing well and has a good coaching job. He needs to be in the game and the game needs people like him!

Edited by duckman38201