2004 Sumner County All County Team

timbdp

News Examiner All-County Soccer Player of the Year: Grace Lawson

Grace Lawson figured it would happen sooner or later.

Surely other teams would learn their lesson and figure out how to try slow down the high-powered JPII offense and its leading scorer.

As only a sophomore, Lawson had one of the best seasons statistically in Tennessee girls high school soccer history.

Her 49 goals and seven assists was enough to lead her Lady Knights to the state championship game and garner her a spot on the All-State team.

Many fans around the school and soccer enthusiasts in the county realized what an accomplishment it was, especially considering it was the school’s first year of varsity play.

This time around in 2004, Lawson was the main focus of opposing defenses after other teams realized just what a scoring threat she was.

Her goals took a decrease, but her importance to the Lady Knights got even stronger in 2004.

After recording 18 goals and eight assists, Lawson was named the 2004 News Examiner All-County Player of the Year.

In her junior campaign Lawson was forced to become a more complete player and in doing so she was able to put up some pretty impressive stats.

“I really learned a lot from this season,” Lawson said. “I had to step down my frustration level a little bit.

“I had to play a little different role this year and that was hard, but we had a great group of girls step up.”

The team entered the season with a world of expectations, especially since practically the same team returned that reached the state finals before losing to Baylor 1-0.

The Lady Knights completed the 2004 season with an overall record of 14-4-1 and spent the entire season ranked in the top 10 in the state in all classifications.

It can be argued that opposing teams didn’t really slow down Lawson in 2004, but rather injuries to her teammates helped apply the brakes.

As was the case with every other top soccer team in the county, the Lady Knights were hit and hit hard by the injury bug.

Hendersonville, Beech and Station Camp all had significant injuries to their starters, giving the Lady Knights a feeling that other schools knew what they were going through.

No one on the JPII roster felt the impact of the injuries any greater than Lawson.

Early in the season while the team was in Memphis at a tournament, junior Megan Forester went down with a leg injury.

Gone for the season was the top midfielder in the Lady Knight attack and gone was the state assist record-holder and the person who set up Lawson on most of her shots.

In the regional tournament at Battle Ground Academy the Lady Knights lost another starting offensive player as Britta Roach went down.

Even without Forester for most of the season and with the late season loss of Roach, the team reached to the semifinals of the Division II state tournament.

After knocking off unbeaten St. Agnes in the opening round, the Lady Knights caught three-time defending state champ Baylor in the semis.

Just like in their state title game tilt the year before, both squads were very evenly matched.

In the end, Baylor used its depth to capture a 2-0 win to end the season for the Sumner County squad.

It is hard to say how things could have ended if the Lady Knights had all been healthy for the postseason, but Lawson has an idea of how things would have ended in her opinion.

“We definitely know that we had a team that could have won the state title,” said Lawson. “With everyone healthy and playing like we can we could have beaten them.

“But considering the fact that we entered the state tournament without two of our starters and to still do what we did is still an accomplishment and something that we can be proud of.”

The biggest group of the girls on the team are juniors and it would be a fair statement to say that the girls are looking forward to a big year in 2005.

“We all are looking forward to finishing off with a great year,” said Lawson. “With the type of team that we have we want to be able to leave here with a state title.”

If the Lady Knights are able to avoid the injury bug next season, don’t be surprised if Lawson and the rest of her teammates do just that next season.

News Examiner All-County Soccer Offensive MVP: Erin Jordan

Erin Jordan led Beech with 17 goals and 15 assists during her senior season.

When describing the team “most valuable player” one obviously looks at impact and importance to a team.

That definitely definitely described Beech senior Erin Jordan.

Jordan was the glue that held the Beech offense together in 2004. She has been named the News Examiner’s All-County Offensive MVP.

While her play was a major reason the Lady Bucs captured both the district and region tournament titles, her impact was felt even more when she was absent from the field.

Out sick during the Sectional contest at home against Brentwood, Beech suffered a 2-0 loss and was denied a trip to the state.

“It was horrible,” Jordan remembered about the Sectional. “It was really hard sitting on the bench and not being out there and able to help the team.

“The team did great, especially considering the injuries and sickness. If we were up to full force, we should have won. It was a hard loss.”

Even with the tough loss, the season still went down as one of Beech’s best ever.

The Lady Bucs knocked off rival Hendersonville twice in the postseason alone.

Jordan’s goal inside of a minute to play won the 9-AAA Tournament finals contest over the Lady Commandos.

“That was probably the most memorable moment of the season,” Jordan said. “It was awesome. To be Hendersonville in the district was exciting.”

Jordan had a stellar season at forward for the Lady Bucs. She recorded 17 goals and added 15 assists.

“She was able to contribute not just goals, but also assists this year,” said Beech coach Cameron MacLean. “She contributed in every way. Her leadership level and maturity got better and better each year.

“She just stepped up her game, and that helped others step up their game. She was a good leader, and that’s what a senior should do. She found ways for players around her to get better.”

Jordan’s contributions to Beech’s success didn’t go unnoticed. She was named Most Valuable Player in District 9-AAA.

“It felt great to be a leader, but a lot of times there was a lot of pressure,” Jordan said. “Sometimes you feel like if you don’t do the right thing at the right time, everyone blames you.

“I tried to create plays and get them started, making sure my forwards were with me. We had a lot of talented younger players, and that helped our team score more.”

Led by fellow seniors Jessica Casler, Brittney Harris and Emily Fyke, defense has been the forte of the Lady Buccaneer success under MacLean.

That didn’t change in 2004, but the big difference was the Beech offense was able to catch up with its defense a lot more.

Jordan was a big reason for that.

“We got great senior leadership from our defense,” MacLean said. “Jessica, Emily and Brittney kept things going there, and Erin kept things going up front.

“With our younger players stepping up, things rolled a lot more offensively. A lot of players contributed in goal scoring. This is the first year I can remember that Beech had a team with three players in double-digit scoring.

“That took pressure off Erin. It helped her play her game and get in rhythm.”

Jordan has been one of the most underrated players in the county over the past three years until racking up several awards her senior campaign.

“I’m really stunned,” she said. “I never have been recognized as a standout player. I’ve always been focused on the team.

“I never expected these big awards. It’s a big honor to see that people actually think that of me. In our district and county there are a lot of great players. So, to be picked out of all of those, is a big honor.”

Jordan hopes to continue her soccer career at the collegiate level and major in business.

But, for now, she will relish the big senior season she enjoyed.

“I didn’t want the season to end,” Jordan said. “We all wanted it to be the best we ever had, and it was.”

News Examiner All-County Soccer Defensive MVP: Laura Holzmer

Laura Holzmer and the stingy JPII defense were a big part of a second straight trip to the state.

When a soccer team loses two of its top three offensive players, it’s easy to turn to the defense for help.

The Pope John Paul II soccer team did exactly that late in the season, and the Lady Knight defensive unit didn’t let them down.

With standouts Megan Forester and Britta Roach sidelined during tournament play, Pope John II made a second straight run to the state tournament by using a stingy defense.

Leading the way for the Lady Knights defense was junior Laura Holzmer.

After guiding the Lady Knights into the state semifinals, Holzmer was named the News Examiner’s All-County Defensive MVP in 2004.

“We all know that defense is just as important as offense, but it just sometimes goes unnoticed,” said Holzmer, a three-year starter. “But, is that why you’re playing? The answer should be ‘no.’

“We (JPII defenders) say before every game, ‘If they don’t score, they won’t win the game.’”

Forester, the team’s top all-around offensive player, went down midway through the year with a season-ending knee injury.

Roach was sidelined during the region tournament against Father Ryan.

Still, JPII managed to reach the state and win a game there, shutting out St. Agnes 2-0 in the first round.

“With all of the injuries we had, beating St. Agnes was almost like winning the state,” Holzmer admitted. “They were undefeated and hadn’t lost since we beat them the year before in the state.

“There was a lot of pressure put on us after we lost Megan and Britta. They were such a force in the middle. We all pulled together, although we knew what a tremendous loss it was.”

The Pope John Paul II defensive unit was young and fairly inexperienced this season.

Holzmer and Colleen Callaghan were the veterans of the group, which included first-year goalie Lauren Paul and freshman Ariel White.

“Our younger players were very important to our success,” Holzmer said. “When we started getting injuries, they are the ones who stepped up and said, ‘Let’s do it for the upperclassmen.’ They proved themselves on the field.”

Holzmer played marking back most of her career, but switched to sweeper after coming to JPII. She credits her successful transition to Coach Mike McLaren.

“He is someone I look up to,” Holzmer said. “I was scared of him at first, but he was incredible, not only on the field, but outside of soccer. I learned so much from him. I was pretty burned out on soccer when I got here and almost didn’t play, but he completely turned my thoughts around.”

Holzmer is also a standout on the Lady Knights basketball team, having garnered All-County two straight seasons.

That can cause a conflict during the spring, when both AAU basketball and select soccer are played.

“I just elected not to do the traveling thing that Megan and Colleen and Grace (Lawson) do. I’m not sure if it has helped or hurt me, but I think taking a break has helped.”

Not playing select soccer apparently hasn’t hurt her much. Her ability on the field has been a big reason for the JPII success of the past three years.

However, after having reached the state title game as a sophomore and state semis as a junior, Holzmer knows there is only one goal that will satisfy her and her classmates next season — a state title.

“It’s do or die,” Holzmer said. “The seven of us who have been together all this time, have talked about it. Next year will be incredible. It will be our last year to prove something.

“Coach McLaren said that he will have to get Kleenex to sponsor us, with all the crying that will be going on when the season ends. ‘Team’ will be our main focus.”

News Examiner All-County Soccer Goalkeeper of the Year: Christy Zabek

Christy Zabek put the finishing touches on her brilliant career with a second straight trip to the state.

They say that defense wins championships.

Hendersonville senior goalie Christy Zabek couldn’t agree more.

After all, Zabek was one of the main reasons the Lady Commandos earned a second consecutive trip to the state tournament in Chattanooga this past fall.

In a year that many thought would be a rebuilding campaign for the Sumner County squad, Zabek and the other three Lady Commando seniors had other ideas.

En route to being named the 2004 News Examiner All-County Goalkeeper of the Year, Zabek led the Lady Commandos to a 15-9-2 record and a No. 7 ranking in the state polls.

“This is a huge honor for me, to say the least,” said Zabek. “To be recognized as the top goalie in the county is awesome, but I realize that none of this would have been possible without my teammates.”

In a season full of big games, it is hard to imagine however any of the wins being any sweeter than the one that got the Lady Commandos into the state tournament.

After losing in the district and region finals to rival Beech 1-0, the Lady Commandos hit the road to take on the defending state champion Lady Rebels of Franklin.

Banged up, undermanned and a decided underdog, Zabek played one of the best games of her career helping the Lady Commandos bring Franklin’s season to an end.

The win was especially sweet for Zabek, since it was Franklin which knocked off Hendersonville the year before in the state championship game.

The 3-2 win in sudden-death overtime over long-time rival Franklin is the type of game the players will always remember and one they will tell their kids about.

Zabek began playing soccer at a young age.

Half of her time was spent in the field and the other half was spent in goal.

Before too long Zabek knew that her place was in the net.

Ever since it has been a match made in heaven.

After being one of the most underrated keepers in the state her junior season, Zabek’s skill did not go unnoticed in her senior campaign.

The Lady Commando’s senior was a pre-season first-team All-Midstate keeper.

Eight shutouts later, that is exactly where Zabek ended up when the postseason awards were announced.

Ten other games Zabek surrendered just one goal.

It takes a special kind of player to succeed in net and Zabek definitely had what it took to be successful.

“I absolutely loved being in net,” said Zabek. “It was the best and worst of both worlds.

“You were in a position where you could make or break the game and so much was riding on your every move.”

One of the favorite things Zabek will remember most about her high school career and miss the most as well is the chance she had to be a part of such a storied program.

“There are so many things I am going to miss,” Zabek said, with a smile. “I loved gamedays and getting to wear our gold tee shirts and I loved just representing our school.”

Another thing Zabek will miss is the instruction she received from her head coach Russ Plummer.

“I am really going to miss Coach Plummer,” said Zabek. “He was always so up front and did anything he could to help us succeed both on and off the court.”

Zabek will continue her soccer career next fall at Bowling Green University.

Zabek received a scholarship for her ability on the soccer field as well as her academics.

Goalies like Zabek don’t come around all that often, but for Lady Commando soccer fans it has been a fun ride with her in the net.

All-County Soccer Team

First Team

Jessica Casler Sr. Beech

Addie Dorsey Jr. Hendersonville

Megan Forester Jr. JPII

Emily Fyke Sr. Beech

Samantha Goonan So. Station Camp

Brittney Harris Sr. Beech

Whitney Hudson Sr. Station Camp

Amber Jones Sr. Portland

Lauren Paul Jr. JPII

Heather Pospisil Sr. White House