THE MEMPHIS GRIZZLIES

bulldogcoach23

this may not be the place to discuss this, but i will since this is the most active of any thread. those of us who live in memphis knows that the grizzlies do nothing for the community or the basketball programs in memphis. why did the grizzlies not host the awards banquet like they did the previous two years for the finalists for mr and miss basketball? it was good for the finalists to receive their awards at the end of the championship game in their class, but there could have been a banquet for these young men and women who were nominated and their families. we are talking about the best players in the state. it should have been a separate event, instead of part of a larger event. the individual state awards should have been separated from the team awards. its just weird that the grizzlies hosted the event the previous two years while the forum was built. the million dollar grizzlies could do alot for basketball in TN, like free clinics and even free equipment on a limited basis. i know it is a business, but they need our support, no matter what part of TN we reside. as parents, we spend hundreds on dollars on camps and other athletic equipment. the grizzlies could host numerous events for the state relative to basketball, but they do not. they have many corporate connections. until we complain, they will do nothing. however, if we start to not support it, then they will do whatever they can to keep our support. we as fans are why they are in business. we have the power of persuasion, we call it money. we have it, they want it. let them do something for us. the uniforms of some of the schools across the state are ridiculous. some school do not have the money nor do they have the community support. it would be good for the grizzlies to assist with basketall and the titans to assist in football. let's band together as coaches, parents and athletes and try to persuade them to give us more support. let me know what you think!

Why is it the Grizzlie's responsibility to give YOU money so YOUR kids can play ball? It's not. I would imagine the Grizzlies, being in a new city with a new arena, are either in debt or struggling to stay out of the red. The idea of it being the responsibility of the Titans or the Grizz to teach your kids how to play sports and then give them equipment to play is absurd. Do you expect the Commercial Appeal to give you free newspapers and to teach your kids how to read? No. Do you expect McDonald's to give you free food and teach you how to cook? No. Then, tell me, why is it the duty of a pro sports franchise to perform the equivalent?

Because east TN won't let them and They don't probaly even know there is a team in Memphis.They wanted to host the state tournament but east TN won't let them because they say it is too far.

825625724[/snapback]

Why should they hold it there (well besides the fact that the West TN Teams were the only ones playing for titles, except for I believe the Austin East girls)

#1 Travel, a central site accompanies all the best

#2 sheer size of the place. We all heard how the TSSAA wanted to cut the State Elite Eight to a State Final Four, hold the Boys/Girls Semi finals and finals the same weekend to cut the costs of leasing the Murphy Center, with declining attendance trends factoring in to the rationale behind that possible decison.

Now, I'm not sure of the capacity of the Fedex Forum, but, they can't even fill up the Murphy Center, that would make the Fedex Forum like a cavern for those games, I'm sure......much like TBA is for UT Hoops.

The Kentucky State Tournament was on CSS today, and Rupp was full, as always

Because east TN won't let them and They don't probaly even know there is a team in Memphis.They wanted to host the state tournament but east TN won't let them because they say it is too far.

825625724[/snapback]

I'm a Memphian. I think that the FAIREST thing (travel-wise) for everybody is for the tournament to REMAIN in the MIDDLE of the state!

If TSSAA moved the tournament to East Tennesse, for example, I simply would NOT attend! It's just TOO FAR of a drive. It's just not worth it! Therefore, I don't blame the East TN folks for (allegedly) blocking the tournament's possible move to Memphis.

Personally, I kinda like atmosphere @ MTSU's arena. I think it's just the right size: big enough to handle the H.S crowds, but not so LARGE that it dampens the natural "electricity" of a small arena. Also, the facility is pretty nice--nice enough.

this may not be the place to discuss this, but i will since this is the most active of any thread. those of us who live in memphis knows that the grizzlies do nothing for the community or the basketball programs in memphis. why did the grizzlies not host the awards banquet like they did the previous two years for the finalists for mr and miss basketball? it was good for the finalists to receive their awards at the end of the championship game in their class, but there could have been a banquet for these young men and women who were nominated and their families.  we are talking about the best players in the state. it should have been a separate event, instead of part of a larger event. the individual state awards should have been separated from the team awards. its just weird that the grizzlies hosted the event the previous two years while the forum was built. the million dollar grizzlies could do alot for basketball in TN, like free clinics and even free equipment on a limited basis. i know it is a business, but they need our support, no matter what part of TN we reside. as parents, we spend hundreds on dollars on camps and other athletic equipment. the grizzlies could host numerous events for the state relative to basketball, but they do not. they have many corporate connections. until we complain, they will do nothing. however, if we start to not support it, then they will do whatever they can to keep our support. we as fans are why they are in business. we have the power of persuasion, we call it money. we have it, they want it. let them do something for us. the uniforms of some of the schools across the state are ridiculous. some school do not have the money nor do they have the community support. it would be good for the grizzlies to assist with basketall and the titans to assist in football. let's band together as coaches, parents and athletes and try to persuade them to give us more support. let me know what you think!

825625371[/snapback]

The Grizzlies DO do a lot to support high school basketball. They still sponsored the awards.

Maybe they didn't think it was right to make the non-Memphis athletes miss classes for a day or two to come to a luncheon?

The other problem with a lot of what you suggest is that they can't really help the schools that much with uniforms, etc. How do they decide which schools to help and which ones not to? I'm guessing you're not from Memphis...if you aren't, you'd be complaining if the Grizzlies bought, say, Carver or Oakhaven new uniforms. And it'd be Memphis city schools they'd buy uniforms for, because they're a heck of a lot more likely to get a return on that investment.

Why should they hold it there (well besides the fact that the West TN Teams were the only ones playing for titles, except for I believe the Austin East girls)

#1 Travel,  a central site accompanies all the best

#2 sheer size of the place. We all heard how the TSSAA wanted to cut the State Elite Eight to a State Final Four, hold the Boys/Girls Semi finals and finals the same weekend to cut the costs of leasing the Murphy Center, with declining attendance trends factoring in to the rationale behind that possible decison.

Now, I'm not sure of the capacity of the Fedex Forum, but, they can't even fill up the Murphy Center, that would make the Fedex Forum like a cavern for those games, I'm sure......much like TBA is for UT Hoops.

The Kentucky State Tournament was on CSS today, and Rupp was full, as always

825625728[/snapback]

It'd be a different fan base to fill the arena, though. I don't think we'd fill the Forum, but I do think if you put yesterday's games at the Forum instead of in Murfreesboro, we would have sold a good 5,000 more tickets, maybe more.

FEF, by the way, seats 18,400...there would be 16,000 seats available (about 2400 are in suites that are sold for the year, all events. It'd be a better atmosphere than you think. A crowd of 8,000 in the Forum -- if they're in the lower and middle levels, which they would be -- is LOUD. Add to that the professional presentation with the best jumbotron in the world, etc...it'd be a lot better than you might think.

i recall that Obion Central played JCS at the FedEx Forum early in the year and although it wasnt nearly full, just the thought of playing on the same floor as NBA stars and having the PA guy call your name and stats the way that the PROS do is just awesome. THe Murphy is an older arena but is still an enjoyable place to play and watch a game. So I'm spilt on the decision. I do know one thing though, the T$$AA are complete idiots if they do end up cutting the number of teams from 8 to 4. They're worried about money when it is kinda obvious that more teams equals more fans which equals more money! Just a thought.