Best 5A runningback

BiggieEarl01

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lewis will not have an easy time in 5A this year.  He may still be one of the best but running will be a lot harder against Antioch, Hendersonville and Gallatin.

825656188[/snapback]

You are right....5A will be a different challenge....but I don't think it will be a whole lot tougher than going against the Hillsboros or Stradfords of 4a. Also the toppers should field a MUCH bigger and better offensive line than in past years. If they can give Antonio just a sliver to break through he will be tough to bring down once he gets past the line.

State Track meet was this past week.  Coker, Brown, Sawyers, Steele, and Anderson I know all were in attendance.  I think Sawyers won the 100 meters.

825656214[/snapback]

Coker is not running track anymore. Though once again I will say, Preston Brown will be one of the best hands down. Speed, power, and no Coker to play behind. He will have an exceptional year.

Coker is not running track anymore.  Though once again I will say, Preston Brown will be one of the best hands down.  Speed, power, and no Coker to play behind.  He will have an exceptional year.

825656698[/snapback]

Just repeating what the paper said.

I agree with ya though. Brown should have a great year. He will be tough to stop.

Lewis however, the jury is still out. 5-A in the mid-state is a lot tougher than 4-A overall. He could be great.....or he could be a bust.

Edited by GWAVE1

I have never posted on this site. Probably never will again. I find it interesting at times to read what people are saying about high school athletes who come together tp play various sports. As someone who has had  the opportunity to be around Coach U, just let me say that he is striving to teach the boys so much more than football. Yes, he desires to win just like anyone, but he sees the big picture. To be successful in life or at anything for that matter, it requires discipline and teamwork! That is what Coach U brings to JCHS football, and he is a role model for so many guys who may not have that in their lives. As a JCHS alumnus, I hope that the community will give this coach a chance because it's about so much more than the game.  As for  running players off, maybe you don't know all the details as to why some players choose not to play. One player made the comment that not playing just because you don't like the coach is a copout! If you love the game you'll play for anybody. Thanks for your support of JCHS athletics, JC4Life and HeathHelton.  Just keep this in mind when you feel negativity towards this coach.

825655960[/snapback]

I agree with discipline and teamwork. However, I also believe that a coach's job has a lot to do with guiding kids. If a kid screws up in class, says something wrong, etc, you CANNOT punish the kid so bad as to have him quit the team. Let's remember, these are kids, ages 14-18, they will mess up. A coach has to be understanding enough to punish them in a way that they will learn, not get them out of his hair. For some of these kids, he is as close to a parental figure they have. They don't need to have his back turned upon them. I know that some kids are bad apples and need to be ran off--they are too far gone. But I personally know too many good kids that quit the team this year. 30 kids is way too much. I can handle 8-10 over the course of a year, more than that, and I have to start looking at what was the real problem. ALPAT, i've ran plently of 40-60-100s for Coach Seals and Coach K, and done my fair share of puking up on the practice field. When I messed up, i payed for it. However, I never, in my four years, felt like that I had been abandoned by a coach. To hear a lot of the players that quit this year, this coach did just that. To tell a 17 year old kid to face him man to man in his own office with a closed door is cowardly. He needs to examine himself instead of pointing fingers and calling all of these kids quitters.

MICHAEL LIGON (me) will be Coming To An Endzone Near You in 2005.

825652826[/snapback]

I THINK (me) WAS SUPPOSED TO BE (ne) for northeast high school where michael plays he is not the kind of person to say something like that to bring attention to himself. He needs to have a great year for northeast or it will be a long year for them playng in 5a good luck to the eagles.

I agree with discipline and teamwork.  However, I also believe that a coach's job has a lot to do with guiding kids.  If a kid screws up in class, says something wrong, etc, you CANNOT punish the kid so bad as to have him quit the team.  Let's remember, these are kids, ages 14-18, they will mess up.  A coach has to be understanding enough to punish them in a way that they will learn, not get them out of his hair.  For some of these kids, he is as close to a parental figure they have.  They don't need to have his back turned upon them.  I know that some kids are bad apples and need to be ran off--they are too far gone.  But I personally know too many good kids that quit the team this year.  30 kids is way too much.  I can handle 8-10 over the course of a year, more than that, and I have to start looking at what was the real problem.  ALPAT, i've ran plently of 40-60-100s for Coach Seals and Coach K, and done my fair share of puking up on the practice field.  When I messed up, i payed for it.  However, I never, in my four years, felt like that I had been abandoned by a coach.  To hear a lot of the players that quit this year, this coach did just that.  To tell a 17 year old kid to face him man to man in his own office with a closed door is cowardly.  He needs to examine himself instead of pointing fingers and calling all of these kids quitters.

825660192[/snapback]

Great post, I couldn`t have said it better myself.

I'm for supporting the coaches, but this situation has gotten a little bit out of hand.  Do you know the story Big Earl or just making a blanket assumption based on your opinion?

825660765[/snapback]

i dont know the story but sometimes a rough, disciplinary coach is needed. sure the coaches care about the kids bout a coaches job depends on WINNING. for example Bear Bryant was tough on his players when he was at Texas A&M and later at Bama. And what did he up doing:winning somewhere between 6 to 8 national titles (cant exactly remember how many he won).