Best Teams in TN High School Football History

Guest catfish-hunter

Guest catfish-hunter

I know that there have been threads started on this in the past, but it is always fun after another season has gone by the wayside to see who you all think the best teams in the history of the state are/were. Here are a couple that come to mind right away:

1.) MBA (2000)- the Big Red were awesome that year led by Ingle Martin at quarterback. I don't know if there was a team in the state that really challenged their defense throughout the course of that entire season.

2.) Riverdale (2001)- the Warriors had it all with a solid passing attack that featured quarterback Stephon Britton and receiver Taron Henry. The tandom of Marcus and Ralph King in the backfield paved the way for a team that rolled to a class 5A state title.

3.) Pearl-Cohn (1997)- this was probably the most talented team to step on a high school football field in the history of this state. The Firebirds that year were led by the ground attack of Santonio Beard. A defense achored by John Henderson led a team that was unscored on until the Clinic Bowl, in which they still rolled over Maryville.

4.) Huntingdon (2003)- the Mustangs played two close games all year long, which they split with Milan, but they one the game that counted on Thanksgiving weekend. That team had a rushing attack led by freshman sensation Chris Donald and Terrence Bell, who rushed for 300+ yds. and 6TD's in a 48-14 rout of then defending champion David Lipscomb in the state championship.

5.) Portland (2000)- the 3A champs that year rolled after a close loss in the state championhip game the year before. Led by a wing-T attack that featured quarterback Richard DePriest the Panthers were not stopped that year and an absolute killing that took place against Covington in the state title game that year showed who was the class of 3A.

1. Father Ryan High School - 1997 - The first year that Division II was made, and the Super Seven was made. The fighting Irish went undefeated this season, and won the Clinic Bowl game for the Championship. They had a lot of players who helped the Father Ryan basketball team and wrestling team be champions too. A great coach, great players (which Ryan might not see again), and a great tradition that they followed.

Yes, this is an old topic, but it is fun to talk about each year and relive the memories of the great teams.

We can probably add Riverdale 2004 to the list, which also should include Riverdale’s 1994 team.

The Brentwood Academy teams of 1995 and 1996 were fantastic.

Cleveland 1993-1995 was a great mini-dynasty – I saw Cleveland in 1992 and thought they were good that year, despite losing early in the playoffs, so it’s scary to think how much better they were the next few years.

There’s probably a Maryville team or two worthy of mention. 1998 seems to be a team Maryville fans recall fondly.

The 2000 MBA team was good, but the 1999 Ingle Martin-led team that went 12-0 was even better. MBA went 8-0 in “Super 7” games (6 regular season, 2 playoff) with an average game score of 40-5. MBA’s non-league schedule was brutal, but they still went 4-0 against Lincoln County (at the Pit), Oakland (at Oakland, which was the defending 5A champ that year), Pearl-Cohn, and Jacksonville (FL) Bolles, a team loaded with future college players. Redtwin could tell you more about this great 1999 MBA team.

I know that there have been threads started on this in the past, but it is always fun after another season has gone by the wayside to see who you all think the best teams in the history of the state are/were.  Here are a couple that come to mind right away:

1.) MBA (2000)- the Big Red were awesome that year led by Ingle Martin at quarterback.  I don't know if there was a team in the state that really challenged their defense throughout the course of that entire season.   

2.) Riverdale (2001)- the Warriors had it all with a solid passing attack that featured quarterback Stephon Britton and receiver Taron Henry.  The tandom of Marcus and Ralph King in the backfield paved the way for a team that rolled to a class 5A state title. 

3.) Pearl-Cohn (1997)- this was probably the most talented team to step on a high school football field in the history of this state.  The Firebirds that year were led by the ground attack of Santonio Beard.  A defense achored by John Henderson led a team that was unscored on until the Clinic Bowl, in which they still rolled over Maryville

4.) Huntingdon (2003)- the Mustangs played two close games all year long, which they split with Milan, but they one the game that counted on Thanksgiving weekend.  That team had a rushing attack led by freshman sensation Chris Donald and Terrence Bell, who rushed for 300+ yds. and 6TD's in a 48-14 rout of then defending champion David Lipscomb in the state championship. 

5.) Portland (2000)- the 3A champs that year rolled after a close loss in the state championhip game the year before.  Led by a wing-T attack that featured quarterback Richard DePriest the Panthers were not stopped that year and an absolute killing that took place against Covington in the state title game that year showed who was the class of 3A.

825646064[/snapback]

Id take the 94 Riverdale team over the 2001 version anyday of the week............

Another one - while probably overlooked because it was a 1A school, the 2000 CPA team was fantastic and explosive offensively.  They would have given many large Division I schools fits, as well as quite a few Division II privates.

825646126[/snapback]

I agree. even though they were a 1a school they had a bunch of talent.

David Latimer and Johnny Shields went to Furman

Cooper Wallace and Steven Ross went to Auburn

Brian Stone went to Florida then transfered to Furman

James Corder went to Memphis.

that is 3 D1 athletes and 3 D1aa athletes. not bad for a 1a size school.

oh and by they way...they started at CPA before the school even had football so forget the recruit rumors.

i also thought The Riverdale team with Alvin Duke was pretty awesome as well.

Along with the 96 Brentwood Academy teams.

The Oak Ridge 1991 state championship team with likes of Eric Underwood at qb, Shawn Summers at tb, Antione Thirft and Curtis Booker at wr, and a strong aggressive defense lead by Ron Black.

Also the 96 team was very good with the likes of Jason Mccaddly, Mike gibson, Brad Redmond, and All American tb Shaun Bohanon

Edited by BiggieEarl01
  • Upvote 1

i am up in the air on which riverdale team was better 94 or 2004 this years tema was never really challenged late in a game there was a couple of games in 94 that was chalellenging the 2001 team was good and blackman did have a chance to win that game with our 5 turnovers however i think the 2004 team was the best all around team

now in 1A what about some of those trousdale county teams in the 90s and lets not forget about maryville also