Best Teams in TN High School Football History

Guest catfish-hunter

On 7/13/2018 at 11:08 PM, cofo said:

1998 Milan won 2A gold ball....1999 Milan won 3A gold....only team in TSSAA history to win a gold one year and move up a class and win it again....more than 1 source said 1999 Milan was the best team of all classifications that played that weekend.....

Trousdale County won 1A in 2008 and 2A in 2009, but the 1997 and 1998 Trousdale County teams are imo one of if not the greatest small school football team ever, I have always heard a quote around here that Phillip Fulmer was quoted as saying "We would rather be playing Auburn instead of Trousdale County" that team had 2 guys that had SEC offers but both decided that wasn't for them. Michael Scruggs back to back mr football lineman would have played in the NFL but he now drives a truck for a living. 

On 7/24/2018 at 10:47 PM, Roadrunner89 said:

The 1986 Austin-East Roadrunners. One of the greatest teams to come out of Knoxville!

• Led by Mr. Football winner & Parade All-American, Leroy Thompson
  • Had 2 1000+ yd rushers in Thompson & Joey Smith 
  • The defense was also dominant and had several shut-outs
  • Went undefeated (15-0) & played in a conference that included Knoxville Rule, Alcoa, & Maryville among others. We beat Maryville twice that year!
  • Beat Brentwood Academy in the Clinic Bowl to win the 2A State Championship
  • Several players from that team went on to play college ball. Most notably Leroy Thompson at Penn State & Joey Smith at Louisville
  • Thompson & Smith went on to play in the NFL.
    • Thompson with the Steelers, Patriots, Chiefs, & Buccaneers
    • Smith with the Giants

I remember that team too well.

• 4 weeks later...

2005 Alcoa football

14-1

State Champion

729 points in season (I believe #3 all time)

State Record 252 points in playoffs

Outscored opponents: 477-137 Regular season (only 3 opponents scored in double figures)

Outscored opponents:  252-48 in playoffs

Below are a list of significant players and the schools they committed to.(I know some of them did not pan out, but they were good enough to receive offers and commit to the schools listed below)

Brandon Warren – TE/DE – FSU #1 overall tightend in the nation. #1 recruit in state of TN. All-State/All-American. 2005 Mr. Football

Dustin Lindsey-RB/LB – UT # 29 overall runningback in the Nation, All-State, All-American.  On only 119 carries rushed for 1,221 and 19 TDs

Rae Sykes- DE – UT #6 overall DT in the nation.  All-State/ All-American. 70 tackles -10 sacks

Chris Shiverdecker- RB- UK -  All- State State Championship Offensive MVP

Logan Love – RB - UT

Randall Cobb- QB - UK

Kyrus Lanxter-WR/DB - UK

Martin White- OL – Austin Peay

Colton Reid- OL –Air Force

Joey Fielger – QB – Louisville-graduated from Northern State University All-State

Brian Sommers – WR/DB –South Carolina

Justin Dunkin – DE/LB - Maryville College

Bart Hicks – LB/RB – Carson Newman -  State Championship  Defensive MVP

Darrell Tate- RB – Maryville College

Drew Miller- All State

Other notable players: Sam Thompson, Mark Avery, Troy  Hodge, Jamar Walker, Alex Green

8 hours ago, BoysBasketball112234 said:

2005 Alcoa football

14-1

State Champion

729 points in season (I believe #3 all time)

State Record 252 points in playoffs

Outscored opponents: 477-137 Regular season (only 3 opponents scored in double figures)

Outscored opponents:  252-48 in playoffs

Below are a list of significant players and the schools they committed to.(I know some of them did not pan out, but they were good enough to receive offers and commit to the schools listed below)

Brandon Warren – TE/DE – FSU #1 overall tightend in the nation. #1 recruit in state of TN. All-State/All-American. 2005 Mr. Football

Dustin Lindsey-RB/LB – UT # 29 overall runningback in the Nation, All-State, All-American.  On only 119 carries rushed for 1,221 and 19 TDs

Rae Sykes- DE – UT #6 overall DT in the nation.  All-State/ All-American. 70 tackles -10 sacks

Chris Shiverdecker- RB- UK -  All- State State Championship Offensive MVP

Logan Love – RB - UT

Randall Cobb- QB - UK

Kyrus Lanxter-WR/DB - UK

Martin White- OL – Austin Peay

Colton Reid- OL –Air Force

Joey Fielger – QB – Louisville-graduated from Northern State University All-State

Brian Sommers – WR/DB –South Carolina

Justin Dunkin – DE/LB - Maryville College

Bart Hicks – LB/RB – Carson Newman -  State Championship  Defensive MVP

Darrell Tate- RB – Maryville College

Drew Miller- All State

Other notable players: Sam Thompson, Mark Avery, Troy  Hodge, Jamar Walker, Alex Green

2009,2010 and this years team is better than the 2005 team. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, REBELRON said:

2009,2010 and this years team is better than the 2005 team. 

I would have to disagree, respectfully of course.  while those three teams may have beaten Maryville, I still believe this 05 team was probably the best Alcoa team assembled.  The talent was through the roof (11 guys with division 1 offers, 3 top 50 recruits nationally ), just had a few missteps vs maryville, plus maryville played a great game, and executed a great game plan, starting with an on sidekick after scoring on the first possession of the game. I would also say that the maryville team in 05 is better than maryville teams of 09,10,and 18.  That maryville team was loaded as well, Brent burnette, tyler maples, gary tucker, curtis tate, aaron douglas, tank baker,(All Division 1 offers) Stephen Shiver, Dwight Wood, Landon Hall, etc...Once this team (05 Alcoa) got their act together they were tough, beating fulton 40-8.  I believe the 05 team would beat any alcoa team put together. just my personal opinion. 

The 1986 Austineast RoadRunners Had an All American Running Back Named Leroy Thompson  and they went 15-0 that year The Beat Alcoa ,Fulton  Maryville twice one in Regular season one in the playoffs Marion County Farragut , Rule, Powell ,West And Many others  also with  von Reeves on the team and then beat A great undefeated Brentwood Academy team for the state championship that year I believe this team could have beaten any team that year

• 2 months later...
On 4/16/2005 at 7:30 PM, CharlieTweeder said:

Trousdale County 97 and 98 (Back to Back State Champs)

Got by the Pirates in 1998 semis but not the 1999 semis.  That said, I would have to say the 1969 Pirates were one of the best Class A teams in history and it was in the A, AA, AAA era and a time when 9 - 1 teams didn't make the playoffs.

I would like to put a word in for the 1991 Oak Ridge AAA State Championship team: 14 wins 1 loss (to Paducah Tighlman a Kentucky team, 21-20). A power team with a big offensive line, great running back, Shawn Summers that could pass as well, won the title with a 30-0 win over a good Gallatin team but best remember was a classic semifinal game win 42-41 in overtime over a very good Knox Central team led by Todd Helton, probably the greatest high school game played in this area.