Joe sims and Jeff Arms

Guest celinabulldog10

Guest celinabulldog10

i will have o say Jeff Arms is the greatest dunker in history of Tennesse high school athletics. He played at Celina, and once defeated SYLVESTER GRAY in a dunking contest in Nashville-other picks?

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jeff Arms is a law enforcement officer in the Cookeville area. That is him hitting the long ball. He plays open major softball as well. Jeff Arms could jump with ANYONE. He was part of a threesome at Celina during that time. Joey Coe, Tracey Strong and Arms all scored over 2000 points from 1983-86. Sylvester Gray was a three time all-state b-ball player for the late coach Branch at Bolton. He went on to play two years at Memphis State before signing with an agent and turning pro after his sophmore year. A couple of years with the Miami Heat and he was gone. No idea where he is now.

Tyrus Bangham of Nashville East was one of the best leapers that I have ever seen in high school. Chattanooga Riverside used to have several kids that could play above the rim. I know that Tyrus ended up playing for Bruce Stewart at Middle Tennessee. What is he doing now?

Guest celinabulldog10

yes that would be him. he was almost as good at baseball as basketball at that time. also Jeff could have went pro, but chose not to. he has an awesome vertical leap, or did in high school. tracy and Joey are great, and Joey got all-america in his senior year. we had a lot of chances in state, but never could go all the way with our 70s and 80s boys teams

Slyvester Gray was an incredible physical specimen that played at Bolton HS in the the mid to late 80's and went on to play of Memphis St and then the Miami Heat and now overseas. He is 6'6" 255 and chisled like a rock. Incredible leaper in HS.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest celinabulldog10

Jeff couldv'e went pro but he didn't have the desire to. he played in college at Tennessee Tech and i have never seen fans react to anyone the way they did him. the fans went wild! sometimes the other team would clap for his amazing dunks

• 2 months later...

I only saw Jeff Arms play once, in camp at TN Tech before his senior year. We played them in an 8AM game I was coaching and when we went in the gym it was full of players---at 8AM! I wondered what had brought them out that early. Jeff walked out and got in line for layups, looking like he had been out of bed about 5 seconds. Walked into the basket, took the pass, went up and did a 360, and slammed. And walked to the end of the line. He was fun to watch and could jump out of sight...shot well, too.

• 7 months later...
Guest scottgoldmark

I was the poor fellow that Jeff leaped completely over, and let me verify that earlier story. It was completely and utterly true. Shoelaces flying by was all I saw. Carlus Groves from East Robertson/U T Vols also did me that way in Sub-State senior year, but not the way or with the enthusiasm that Jeff did it. Joey Coe and Tracey were also tough back then, but never feared or held in as much awe by anybody as was Jeff. He was one of the more phenomonal players that I have ever seen in high school sports.