Campbell County cougars

CampbellCo.man84

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

CCReceiver.. your attitude is what your community needs. Thanks Tank I wasnt sure. And as far as I am concerned I would like to see yall in the second round. Start winning and you will be surprised by the support you start to receive. I actually think Oak Ridge puts alot of pressure on its kids and coaches. They are expected to win. Winning breeds winners. I mean if it really doesnt matter who wins and who looses why keep score? The thing that this community seems to forget at times is that these are High School kids. Many of them sure do not look like kids but they are just kids.

CCReceiver.. your attitude is what your community needs.  Thanks Tank I wasnt sure. And as far as I am concerned I would like to see yall in the second round. Start winning and you will be surprised by the support you start to receive. I actually think Oak Ridge puts alot of  pressure on its kids and coaches. They are expected to win. Winning breeds winners. I mean if it really doesnt matter who wins and who looses why keep score? The thing that this community seems to forget at times is that these are High School kids. Many of them sure do not look like kids but they are just kids.

825660504[/snapback]

great post there wildman

• 2 weeks later...
Who is Campbell Co Scrimmaging this spring?

825661070[/snapback]

The Cougars scrimmaged Cocke County at Campbell County on Monday, May 9. I arrived somewhat late but was told that the Cougars prevailed in the controlled scrimmage by a score of 4 touchdowns to 0.

On offense, the Cougars were led by Sr. RB Chris Johnson with 3 touchdowns, 2 through the air. Jr. QB Brance Stiner was on target with his passes and scrambled about 30 yds for another TD. The Cougars lost some key OL to graduation, but have a solid base to rebuild from with Sr. Joe Whitaker and Matt Goins.

On the D, the Cougars once again fielded a solid defense. Although DC Wampler is charged with the task of replacing practically the entire D-Line and LB corps, the Cougars posted a shut-out vs. Cocke County. Led by MLB Jesse Bowman, the Cougars flew to the ball all night and prevented Cocke Co. from finding the endzone.

On Tuesday, May 17, the Cougars travel to Halls for a 5:00 scrimmage to close out spring practice. This will be a good test for HC Dewayne Wells' Cougars, especially the young defense. See you there!

Edited by VolViking

CCMAN84, report on the Halls scrimmage, how did it go?????????

825678284[/snapback]

Halls shut the Cougars out in a controlled scrimmage 5-0. The young defense of the Cougars had some problems with the Wing T ran by Halls. That and the fact that Halls has a HUGE and fast RB #42 who can really play. For the most part, the D held their own, but big plays with Halls' counters and misdirections really hurt. On the first series, the Cougars broke up a pass and held Halls to 4 yards on 2 carries through the middle. However, on play #4, #42 dragged across the middle catching a short pass, found a sideline seam and went 66 yards for a TD.

It was like that most of the scrimmage: the Cougars would hold Halls for a few plays and then #42 or #45 would break a big run or catch a big pass.

The defense does hold promise with some good size on the line and athleticism at LB and DB.

The Campbell Co. offense, with Chris Johnson in street clothes, showed promise with the strong running of Josh Howard. Although they moved the ball well between the 30's, they never found the endzone. Jr.-to-be QB Brance Stiner appears fully recoverd from the broken thum-b that sidelined late last season, but needs to work with his young WR corps during the offseason to get their timing a little better. The O-Line gave Stiner time to pass on the most part and opened some good holes for Howard. A summer in the weight room and conditioning and the return of Johnson should make the Cougars a strong offense heading into August. Howard appears ready to play and will take pressure off Johnson and Stiner. The young WRs need to really work this summer. The Cougars have talent at the postion, but they need to work on their routes and get their timing with Stiner down better.

Edited by VolViking

The fact that Cocke Co. is a just run-of-the-mill as 4A teams in East Tenn. go and Halls is a rebuilding team with a new head coach doesn't give a fair assessment as to how the Ccougars will stack up in their region this fall. Need input from volviking or CCMAN84 as to where they stand in comparison to last year and where they might finish this year in the region standings......... :o thumb

Come on guys, get off the couch and get the ball rolling!!!!!!!!!!!!

At this stage it is really difficult to make an educated assessment of the Cougars. First of all, what are the other region teams going to bring to the table this year? Of course, Dobyns-Bennett will be pencilled in at the top, but how does the region stack up after the Tribe?

Based on last year, I expect Jefferson Co. to be very strong. However, I do not see them rolling over the Cougars like they did last year. Need input from JC4Life to see what the Patriots will have besides Shiverdecker.

I have no idea what to expect from Sevier Co. and Science Hill. Not much info on what they will bring at this stage. Bearden and Karns should be competitive, but with the loss of Elders for the Beavs and Bearden in a constant rebuilding mode, I can't see them challenging for a playoff spot. Then again, there is not much info to make a determination.

As far as the Cougars go, I expect Coach Dewayne Wells to continue the momentum of the program. Campbell Co. had about 60 players participating in spring drills with more to come in this summer. The offense should be strong behind Sr. RB Chris Johnson and Jr. QB Brance Stiner. Add in 3 experienced players on the O-Line in Sr. Joe Whitaker (also held out of Halls scrimmage), Sr. Matt Goins and 6'5 321 center Brandon Phillips, and the Cougars should move the chains frequently. The biggest challenge offensively is to find a WR to fill the shoes of departed seniors Josh Allen, Billy Davis, Eric Summers and TE/FB Clark Woods. Soph. Corey Chapman may be an answer, but WR is a major concern to be worked on over the summer. Another bright spot for the offense is the emergence of RB Josh Howard. Versus Halls, he exhibited the ability to run tough between the tackles and has promise. I don't know much about this young man, but seeing him in action, I look for major contributions from him.

Defense is another story for the Cougars. After posting 5 shutouts last year, DC Coach Wampler has his work cut out for him to even come close to having a strong D. He has alot of talent and athleticism, but they are very young. Of the 3 returning starters, each will be playing a new position. Chris Bowlin and Cody Johnson may anchor the line and both have good size and speed. Jessie Bowman is a force and will play Mike with Josh Evans moving from CB to the LB corps. Travis Leach will be another one to watch. Coach Wampler has proven he can get a D ready. I'll try to get to some summer workouts and learn more about this talented group.

With the talent available, look for the Cougars to be strong if the team leadership and chemistry can continue from the foundation of last year.

Edited by VolViking