Science Hill vs. Knox Catholic

soccaplaya0509

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Final: 2-2

Both teams played very well. SH got in the lead on a PK in the first half and defended their goal and kept the pressure until half time. Catholic came back with a nice goal late in the second half before SH added another one. with less than a minute left, Catholic came back with the redeeming goal through a corner kick. It was a nice game and am gonna have to consider Catholic a good team. Great game.

Good post, Figo10. Both teams played hard in very sloppy conditions. The only difference I have with your post is I think Science Hill went up 2-0 in the second half before Catholic finally hit the net with two late goals to even the match. If you wore the #10 jersey, I also think you had a nice goal in the second half. Good luck in the AAA tournament.

No big deal on the score. Whoever wore the 10 jersey put his goal in the only place Catholic's keeper couldn't reach. It was a nice goal. I've seen Science Hill play CAK, Maryville and now Catholic. The Hilltoppers are a fine team.

No big deal on the score.  Whoever wore the 10 jersey put his goal in the only place Catholic's keeper couldn't reach.  It was a nice goal.  I've seen Science Hill play CAK, Maryville and now Catholic.  The Hilltoppers are a fine team.

825662172[/snapback]

I drove from Knoxville with two of my friends from CAK to see this matchup. They were split on who would prevail. I had seen both teams play, and was picking Science Hill mainly because of the "home field advantage." Both teams had numerous opportunities in the first half, but were unable to finish. Realistically, I thought Catholic looked to be the better team in the first half. Yes, Science Hill was leading 1-0 at half (on a questionable hand-ball in the box PK), but Catholic had better chances to score. The second half was played in much wetter conditions than the first, with both teams looking like they would rather be somewhere else for the first 15 or 20 minutes. That is, until a beautiful one-touch goal by Science Hill. No.9 (sorry, I don't know names) served a beautiful cross to No.10, who deftly one-touched a shot into the lower left-side of the goal. Unfortunately for Science Hill, that combination for the score was the last time the offense seemed to be working together. After going up 2-0, Science Hill's offense turned into one-on-one play. In the sloppy conditions, that play didn't work. Was Science Hill tired? Well, they looked like they were. Catholic, on the other hand, began working better at moving the ball upfield. Their No.17 and No.7 were suddenly putting a great deal of pressure on the Science Hill defense. That defense broke down on a semi break-away goal by No.17. He beat three Science Hill defenders in route to the goal. 2-1, Science Hill. The last 5 minutes of the game was all Catholic. Several opportunities by Catholic were squandered until, with what had to be less than 1 minute to play, Catholic takes a corner. The ball bounces around, deflects off of a Science Hill defender, and appears to go into the goal. The Science Hill keeper bats the ball out, and after getting knocked around, the ball goes across the goal line for another Catholic corner. This time, Catholic converts the corner to finalize a come-from-behind draw on the opponents home field. Great match to watch, even in the rain.

pretty good game in the rain, catholic looked like they should have been up early, but #17 Pierce missed several opportunities that he should have put away. he was able to get behind the SH defenders basically every time he got the ball. SH first goal was definately questionable, the ball just took a wierd hop and hit Kinney's hand, but the 2nd one was pretty nice. Pierce finally converted one of his numerous breakaways in the 2nd half, and catholic completed the comeback within the last minute. SH looks like they could make a run to make state, and catholic looked strong despite a few week points. good luck to both.

this may be a little off topic but isnt Science hills starting goal keeper suspended for the rest of his senior season...if tru id have to say science hill would have a much better record...i wouldnt see south beating them with weaver in the net...but i kno colin roister sp? and he is good enough to be a starter...give me some feedback

this may be a little off topic but isnt Science hills starting goal keeper suspended for the rest of his senior season...if tru id have to say science hill would have a much better record...i wouldnt see south beating them with weaver in the net...but i kno colin roister sp? and he is good enough to be a starter...give me some feedback

825662705[/snapback]

I had heard that, but if that is true, then they have a heck of a backup.

Science Hill's keeper against Catholic made a number of outstanding plays but his best play was the save he made immediately before the Irish scored their second goal. From my vantage point the ball looked like it was in the goal. The Assistant Ref on that side commented that it was extremely close to a goal and the keeper's play on the ball was amazing to keep it from being scored. He's a very good keeper.