Crazy officials

Stew4931

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know that this year Warren Co. has had some real winners on the officiating team. Some of the refs ive seen this year are just horriable. I just wanted to know if you have any stories of crazy officials.

825658935[/snapback]

OK... we have had so many threads about bad refs. Let me ask you guys a question...

Do you know why we are lacking referees? Do you know why we are now consistantly only having a dual ref system rather than three?

BECAUSE ALL WE DO IS HARP ON THE REFS!! WHO WOULD WANT TO BECOME ONE?!

No, there is no excuse for a really bad ref. But when was the last time a thread was made complimenting them? Reffing is a lose lose situation because no matter what call you make, someone is going to be upset EVEN IF IT WAS THE RIGHT CALL. Quit griping about the refs.

Here's a suggestion... Why don't more high school graduates/college students go get their TSSAA cert? I mean we all know we know the game better than the old farts sucking wind trying to keep up with everyone on the field. I truly think that those with an actual background in the game would serve as better officials than those out there simply doing it as a part-time job.

Here's a suggestion... Why don't more high school graduates/college students go get their TSSAA cert? I mean we all know we know the game better than the old farts sucking wind trying to keep up with everyone on the field. I truly think that those with an actual background in the game would serve as better officials than those out there simply doing it as a part-time job.

825658952[/snapback]

Good idea. B) However, the problem with "high school graduates or college students" is they can make more money elsewhere. They are not interested in offiating for the "love of the game." I do not think that most people realize how much time is involved off the field. Then add all the travel ( at your expense ), low pay and disrespectfull kids and unless you are truly doing it for the love of the game then it is not worth it.

That's true... I still think that more actual players becoming refs would help the situation though.

825659001[/snapback]

Most people who have been around soccer for a while are still involved, either as players or coaches, or have moved on and no longer want to be involved with it anymore. Also, a lot of high school students that I know are refs, but they obviously can't work while the season is going on.

You have to be 18 to be a high school ref and can easily make between 100-200 dollars a week. There have always been some refs who played and were in shape and could control a game. Unfortunately there were always more that were like the guy who did the CSAS Boyd game. They could require fitness tests but then you wouldn't even have enough refs around here to do a dual for all the games. Believe it or not, the ref association meets a couple of times a month to discuss game situations and what went good or bad. There are often coaches at the meetings to discuss the coaches point of view. You have to respect someone who loves soccer enough to put up with the abuse a ref takes but you also have to question their motivation when they're not physically or mentally prepared to call a good game. Best thing to do is not worry about the ref - they'll never change a call - just let it go.

"Here's a suggestion... Why don't more high school graduates/college students go get their TSSAA cert? I mean we all know we know the game better than the old farts sucking wind trying to keep up with everyone on the field. I truly think that those with an actual background in the game would serve as better officials than those out there simply doing it as a part-time job."

here here there are some very old farts out there. they can't see much and they can't get down the field as fast as younger kids can.

Get TSSAA certified!!

It all depends whether your reffing or whether ur playing. I've reffed for about 4 years now, and its a totally different mindset. When you're reffing, you make the calls, and then move on. You learn to block out the fans/coaches/players. As a player, you might hold that till the end of the game, or even longer. And i usually dont complain about refs for small stuff. But sometimes, if a ref would just take his time and decide, hed make better calls. Answer these easy questions for me.

1. Is a handball inside the 18/box not always a PK? (if called for the foul) Or can a indirect/direct kick be taken instead?

2. Can free points just be awarded by a ref?

3. Is it not cardable if a player consistently stands within 2 feet of the ball during a direct/indirect kick?

You learn to play the game and just keep on after a call is made.

Answer these easy questions for me. 

1. Is a handball inside the 18/box not always a PK? (if called for the foul) Or can a indirect/direct kick be taken instead?

2. Can free points just be awarded by a ref?

3. Is it not cardable if a player consistently stands within 2 feet of the ball during a direct/indirect kick?

825660791[/snapback]

Here's a #4 for you:

4. Can a referee award a PK after stopping play (to take care of a goal-keeper injury) without calling a rules infraction?