Best 5A team in history to not win state

BiggieEarl01

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who do ya'll think is the best team to not win state? OR's 1996 and 2003 teams were in my opinion the best to not win it all. The 2002 DB was also very talented and  probably would have won it that year if it wasnt for turnovers

825660822[/snapback]

DB every year since the playoff system began :D

DB 98, 2000, 2002

Especially 2000 because DB ran into Red Bank rated in the top 10 nationally. DB played them at Red Bank in the semis. It was the hardest, coldest rain I have ever sat through for any event. I mean a nasty downpour All the other playoff games in the area were delayed until Saturday, not this game. Tom Weathers knew he had an advantage with Gerald Riggs plowing ahead in 6 inches of water for a few yards here and there. DB had a great passing game, the downpour took that away. With the downpour making passing impossible it was easy for the defense to know to target our tailback, one of the best backs DB had seen in awhile but as more of a scatback he could not plow ahead like Riggs or get his footing when his feet were underwater. DB scored a TD first. DB gave Red Bank their closest game all year (DB lost 21-13) and then Red Bank went on to clobber Riverdale in the snow for the championship. I still think if Tom Weathers had decided to delay the game until Saturday, DB with their pass attack and potent offense would have taken that game as well as the next. But if I were Tom I would have also made that choice as it put his team with an advantage.

Edited by bud

I have been in Oak Ridge for 16 years so the best teams I have seen here that didnt win state was the 2003 and 2004 teams. I think last years team was better than the 2003 team. Even though the score was closer in 03 aganist Riverdale The events of the last 1:30 of the game were nothing less than pure excitment. RD had the ball' all they had to do was hang on to the ball and they fumbled. OR recovered and got it inside the 5 I think and enough time to run it at least once and then throw it or try a run again but instead went for a pass on the first play and it ended up an RD int.

But I think If OR had been able to make the adjustments aganist Riverdales blitz in the second half last year it would have been a different story. We were as good a ball team as they were just not in the second half on that night. I of course cant say we would have beat them they are without doubt a very deep and talented group of kids that work hard and are coached very well. The deserved to win. But this is the best teams that Didn't make it to the big dance.

I have been in Oak Ridge for 16 years so the best teams I have seen here that didnt win state was the 2003 and 2004 teams. I think last years team was better than the 2003 team. Even though the score was closer in 03 aganist Riverdale The events of the last 1:30 of the game were nothing less than pure excitment. RD had the ball' all they had to do was hang on to the ball and they fumbled. OR recovered and got it inside the 5 I think and enough time to run it at least once and then throw it or try a run again but instead went for a pass on the first play and it ended up an RD int.

But I think If OR had been able to make the adjustments aganist Riverdales blitz in the second half last year it would have been a different story. We were as good a ball team as they were just not in the second half on that night. I of course cant say we would have beat them they are without doubt a very deep and talented group of kids that work hard and are coached very well. The deserved to win. But this is the best teams that Didn't make it to the big dance.

825660896[/snapback]

I agree what a great ball team that year and we actually left thinking that the better team did not win but we also left Lincoln CO the previous week thinking that we stole one we dominated the game but LC was better than us that year also our coaches did a GREAT job of preparing our guys for those 2 games also in that OR game dont forget probably the play of the game when derente frazier broke the 80 or 90 yard TD run right before the first half ended i think that was the play of the game because yall were in complete control until that point

The game seems to run in slow motion to Rankin. He wins by having good ball players. But he can see something on one play and exploit it on the next play by making suttle changes or play calls on offense. That is one thing I am hoping Stevens will bring to the table. Last year our last three offensive series Rankin simply stacked the line and brought the house. I am no coach and reguardless what I might say I have a lot of respect for the former coaching staff at OR

I just thought there should have been some plays called that would have forced Riverdale to play a little softer at the line and Given Scott a little more time. But hey hindsite ids 20/20.

By the way good luck to Riverdale, I really hope we are practicing on thanksgiving again. And looking foward to a cold night in November. If I am not mistaken if we win the region and get by a tough DB squad we will be hosting Riverdale.

Everyone is saying DB lost all their players and arent expected to be as tough this year. Just remember thats what they said about Oak Ridge last year. The only thing you can expect out of DB year in year out is that they are going to bring it and you better be ready.

Oak Ridge 1996. Hands down winner of this award. They had starters at all skill positions that were unbelievable. One WR went to Florida, one went to Alabama, and TB Shaun Bohanon rushed for 2,400 plus and went to Alabama as well. They were loaded. Apparently a late night party before the Jefferson County game cost them their shot at a state title. It is truly a shame. I know all of those guys personally, having played at a rival school. They definitely deserved their shot to win a championship. Sometimes things just don't work out like they should.

I don't know how far they would have gone but the 03' Gallatin who were denied entrance in the playoffs..(that's another story)...were playing on all cylinders until the week of the F-word came down. That team had tremendous team spped and of course Jamison Link...Had Gallatin gotten into the playoffs he would have easily won Mr. Football. I would have liked to have seen them with a chance.