Best 5A team in history to not win state

BiggieEarl01

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I cant believe you didnt include the 82 gallatin team with carl GOO BABY woods i lived in Gtown at that time and went to all the games coach short took responsiblity for losing that game against LC they would stop goo but he still didnt try and run any other play but that team was very good

825661430[/snapback]

That should have been Gold Ball #2 you are correct that also was a great team. I don't know how I forgot to mention them. I guess I was thnking 5-A team and not 3-A which at the time we would have been 5-A if it were there.....3-A those were the days....

Edited by wave88

also in that OR game dont forget probably the play of the game when derente frazier broke the 80 or 90 yard TD run right before the first half ended i think that was the play of the game because yall were in complete control until that point

825660937[/snapback]

Was he that short #5 who picked up that fumble?

Oak Ridge 1996.  Hands down winner of this award.  They had starters at all skill positions that were unbelievable.  One WR went to Florida, one went to Alabama, and TB Shaun Bohanon rushed for 2,400 plus and went to Alabama as well.  They were loaded.  Apparently a late night party before the Jefferson County game cost them their shot at a state title.  It is truly a shame.  I know all of those guys personally, having played at a rival school.  They definitely deserved their shot to win a championship.  Sometimes things just don't work out like they should.

825661229[/snapback]

I have been in Oak Ridge for 16 years so the best teams I have seen here that didnt win state was the 2003 and 2004 teams. I think last years team 2004 was better than the 2003 team.

definitely reiterate that 96 should have won it if it had not been for partying. as far as 2004 they were a good team just not as good as 03. sure 04 scored 589 points but the 2003 fielded a better defense with Schneider at DT, Mitchell at LB and Black at SS

Edited by BiggieEarl01

"definitely reiterate that 96 should have won it if it had not been for partying. as far as 2004 they were a good team just not as good as 03. sure 04 scored 589 points but the 2003 fielded a better defense with Schneider at DT, Mitchell at LB and Black at SS"

Again. Oak Ridgeshould have won against Jeff County in the semis, but no way Oak Ridge would have beaten Brentwood Academy in the 96 championship game. They were ranked top 10 and were so loaded with DI players. Oak Ridge best shot was 03, 04 and 2005 Oak Ridge will bring home the championship.

That should have been Gold Ball #2 you are correct that also was a great team.  I don't know how I forgot to mention them.  I guess I was thnking 5-A team and not 3-A which at the time we would have been 5-A if it were there.....3-A those were the days....

825661455[/snapback]

Now hold one there just a second....that should have been gold ball #3. The 1979 version of the Green Wave was incredible. They scored more points than any Gallatin team. I remember the 82' game. The stats tell the story of that game. Gallatin dominated the game except on the score board.

03' would have been very interesting. The offense was incredible. The line made holes like they haven't made in years.

Many people say the 1994 Riverdale Warriors were the best football team in TN history..the only thing keeping them off this list was "the run" which sealed a 14-10 comeback victory over my choice for the best 5A team to come up a little short..my 1994 GHS squad.

825661670[/snapback]

Riverdale always manages to get some form of "the run." In the 2002 quarterfinals, we (Blackman) had them down 13-10 with 3 min. to go. Then their backup tailback ran almost 70 yards untouched for the game-winning TD.