Steve Nash- MVP

i strongly disagree with this choice. yes, he turned the Suns around this year but they already had the talent to be a contender they were just to young and inexperienced last year. Nash had great numbers and great success this year...but he inherited a team full of young freak athletes that just needed some veteran guidance. Shaq on the other hand went to a team with only 1 good player and turned them into the favorite to win the east, and maybe win the championship. both players are deserving but i personally feel Shaq was far more valuable to his team and should have taken home the award. you think Nash could go to a Shaq-less Miami Heat and have the same success they had this past year?

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i strongly disagree with this choice. yes, he turned the Suns around this year but they already had the talent to be a contender they were just to young and inexperienced last year. Nash had great numbers and great success this year...but he inherited a team full of young freak athletes that just needed some veteran guidance. Shaq on the other hand went to a team with only 1 good player and turned them into the favorite to win the east, and maybe win the championship. both players are deserving but i personally feel Shaq was far more valuable to his team and should have taken home the award. you think Nash could go to a Shaq-less Miami Heat and have the same success they had this past year?

825667312[/snapback]

I totally agree with you. If you put any of the leagues great point guards on that team (Jason Kidd, Andre Miller, Tony Parker, etc.) The Suns would of enjoyed the same success. Nash is a great player but how ca yu say he is more valuable than the Diesel. He came to Miami and inherited a team of underachievers and one up and coming star. Only Shaq ccould have turned this team around. He has them playing at a higher level than most have played in their careers. This vote shows you how sportwriters don't have a clue about the game.

825667312[/snapback]

Nash was probably the MVP of the west. But you're absolutely right about who the real MVP was. Shaq and Barry Bonds are both so dominant and have won so many MVP's, they tend to get overlooked now by the voters because they want somebody else to win it.

Nash was probably the MVP of the west.  But you're absolutely right about who the real MVP was.  Shaq and Barry Bonds are both so dominant and have won so many MVP's, they tend to get overlooked now by the voters because they want somebody else to win it.

825667871[/snapback]

Well OK, maybe he's only won one...but it's the same basic sentiment. They view Shaq as the easy choice so they go out of their way to pick a "more intelligent" one.

My first reaction was shaq should've won. but Miami is at the same point they were at last yr. unless they win the whole thing it remains to be seen. on the other hand steve nash has made phoenix the team that they are. his value is underestimated. freak athletes or not when he goes out of the game their scoring goes down. they look lost. he makes the coach look good. nash deserved it. what has miami done that they didn't do last yr.....

My first reaction was shaq should've won.  but Miami is at the same point they were at last yr.  unless they win the whole thing it remains to be seen.  on the other hand steve nash has made phoenix the team that they are.  his value is underestimated.  freak athletes or not when he goes out of the game their scoring goes down.  they look lost.  he makes the coach look good.  nash deserved it.  what has miami done that they didn't do last yr.....

825669443[/snapback]

Huh? They went from 42-40 to 59-23. Fourth to first. And his former team went from 57-25 to 34-48.

Nash's new team went from 29-53 to 62-20, but there's two other factors to consider. First, Phoenix was a lot better last year after their trade with New York...they finished 8-6 last year. But Nash's old team got better -- from 52-30 to 58-24.

ok lets just forget the records for a second. Steve Nash is a great pg, one of the best in the game, and he is a big part of the reason the Suns were so much better this year since he creates easy shots for his teammates but he didnt do it by hisself. if you follow basketball any you knew that Stoudemire and Marion were stars in the making so another year of developement for those 2 is the biggest reason they were so good this year...not to mention adding Johnson and Q to knock down the open 3's. BUT, you could put Jason Kidd in Phoenix and they would be just as good if not better. Nash left Dallas and was replaced by Jason Terry and it had no impact on the Mavs, they actually won more games this year. Shaq on the other hand cannot be replaced. You could take any other center in the game and put him in Miami and they wouldnt have won 50 games this year. the impact Nash has is no where close to what Shaq did in Miami. i think the comparison opperman did speaks for itself...LA's win total decreased 23 games and Dallas won 6 more.

in my opinion Nash is only the 3rd best player on his team, Stoudemire and Marion are better players they just lack the leadership Nash brings to the team.

ok lets just forget the records for a second. Steve Nash is a great pg, one of the best in the game, and he is a big part of the reason the Suns were so much better this year since he creates easy shots for his teammates but he didnt do it by hisself. if you follow basketball any you knew that Stoudemire and Marion were stars in the making so another year of developement for those 2 is the biggest reason they were so good this year...not to mention adding Johnson and Q to knock down the open 3's. BUT, you could put Jason Kidd in Phoenix and they would be just as good if not better. Nash left Dallas and was replaced by Jason Terry and it had no impact on the Mavs, they actually won more games this year. Shaq on the other hand cannot be replaced. You could take any other center in the game and put him in Miami and they wouldnt have won 50 games this year. the impact Nash has is no where close to what Shaq did in Miami. i think the comparison opperman did speaks for itself...LA's win total decreased 23 games and Dallas won 6 more.

in my opinion Nash is only the 3rd best player on his team, Stoudemire and Marion are better players they just lack the leadership Nash brings to the team.

825671235[/snapback]

Great post and I totally agree with you.

Everybody knows Shaq is the most domaint player in the game, but seriously, who didnt think Miami would be a title contender? Who didnt think they would be 1 of the best in the East? and then the Suns? How many of you thought the Suns would have won 60+ games? Who thought that they would have the best record in the league? When Shaq got traded to Miami, theres not a soul in this world who didnt think Miami would be the best in the weak east, and theres not a soul in the world who thought the Suns would be 1 of the best in the very strong west.

Everybody knows Shaq is the most domaint player in the game, but seriously, who didnt think Miami would be a title contender? Who didnt think they would be 1 of the best in the East? and then the Suns? How many of you thought the Suns would have won 60+ games? Who thought that they would have the best record in the league? When Shaq got traded to Miami, theres not a soul in this world  who didnt think Miami would be the best in the weak east, and theres not a soul in the world who thought the Suns would be 1 of the best in the very strong west.

825673366[/snapback]

your wrong....i thought the Suns would be one of the best in the west and win 50+ games this year....its not a big surprise when you look at their players. Marion was already a 20, 10 guy and Stoudemire was the probably the best hs player in the country his senior year and was a future 20, 10 guy but he developed faster than most people expected. they got Q from the Clips, whom is one of the best 3 point shooters in the game and Johnson came from the Celtics, he's solid all around. Nash came in, a top 3 point gaurd....thats a lethal starting 5. if you wanna screw Shaq out of his award and give it to someone because their team exceeded expectations Ray Allen should be your MVP because that team is pathetic outside of him and Lewis, but they had home court advantage in the first round.

your wrong....i thought the Suns would be one of the best in the west and win 50+ games this year....its not a big surprise when you look at their players. Marion was already a 20, 10 guy and Stoudemire was the probably the best hs player in the country his senior year and was a future 20, 10 guy but he developed faster than most people expected. they got Q from the Clips, whom is one of the best 3 point shooters in the game and Johnson came from the Celtics, he's solid all around. Nash came in, a top 3 point gaurd....thats a lethal starting 5. if you wanna screw Shaq out of his award and give it to someone because their team exceeded expectations Ray Allen should be your MVP because that team is pathetic outside of him and Lewis, but they had home court advantage in the first round.

825673460[/snapback]

Hey, then i say give it to Allen..lol :lol: