New CBA Soon?

For those who care (ie fromthetop2, dandy, etc)... what do y'all think about the fact that it SEEMS we're getting closer and closer to a deal? I'm betting at some point within the next two to three weeks? The fact that they are putting in so many long hours makes me happy. Of course, I don't understand why they didn't just do this last September, but whatever - it's in the past.

I'm going to see the Stanley Cup next to a huge sand model of itself on St. Pete beach Saturday. I tell ya, I'd much rather see it on the banks of the Cumberland. But for now, this will do. They're also throwing a big party down at the St. Pete Times Forum on Tuesday in honor of the anniversary of the Lightning winning the Cup. They're going to have the 7 other trophies the Lightning won last year. Probably wouldn't have a chance to see those unless you were going up to TO and the Hall of Fame so I can't pass that up.

Sorry for rambling... just figured I'd get some discussion (read monolouge) going on hockey.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Boy the ice is getting thin in talking about the NHL.

I think the actions taken by ESPN not to pick up the $60 million option was a critical blow-and one that HOPEFULLY, caught the attention of those two buffoons running the sport over the cliff.

Fact is, a new CBA has to reflect revenue streams. It must be obvious even to the concussion rattled players that there IS NO MONEY! The owners have to come real clean about revenue sources to accurately predict revenue streams.

Right now the sport is in the ICU and ranks about where the WNBA sits in popularity on TV. My real fear for the Preds is contraction, or worse, they fall flat on their face when they come back and lose their first 8 games (see Nashville Kats). The clueless mayor of Nashville the last few weeks (with a nice assist from George "EGO" Plaster) consistently throws the Preds under the bus as it relates to the GEC-all for political reasons. That keeps the Preds in a bad light among the populace-and makes a tough situation worse if they come back!

That's my biggest fear as well man. If the Preds don't come storming out of the gates, whatever may be left from the high of last season will be gone COMPLETELY (of course, theres not much left as is...). But I have a feeling Nashville will be one of the forces to be reckoned with after a new CBA. The salary cap won't be an issue for us, and it'll probably allow us to get a high-profile guy that could help out a lot.

On a somewhat different topic, they had Stanfest here tonight in Tampa celebrating the one-year anniversary of the Lightning winning the Cup. It was good to see that hockey hasn't died completely as at least 5,000 folks were there tonight.

They had all the trophies the Lightning won last year (Prince of Wales, Jack Adams, etc) and of course, the Cup. Speaking of the Cup, here is perhaps the best picture I've ever taken:

Stanfest001.jpg

That is really cool picture-I've always thought what a cool picture it would be with that trophy sitting in the front window at Tootsie's or Rippy's. I also look forward to the day when the team picture with trophy can be done in front of the Ryman or Country Music Hall of Fame.

Nashville has the POTENTIAL to be a pretty decent hockey team if there is a "next year." They have a lot of talent that showed up well at the World's and in Milwaukee the last two seasons. I also feel the makeup of the team will look quite a bit different than it has the last time they played the Wings. For one, I think Scott Walker won't be around, and Greg Johnson might not be far behind.

Leggie and Scottie U. will have a very critical year once they hit the ice. They have to have breakout seasons.

If they hit the ice. . .

Fan support is in hibernation right now. But you know the saying-out of sight and out of mind. I'm very concerned about the drying up of the sparse corporate dollars, which are critical to the Preds cash flow. It will be like starting all over again getting their support-they've discovered they can live without the Preds quite nicely. Preds need that because they get ZERO revenue from things like parking, virtually nothing from TV, and don't have a large season ticket base.

It's hard being an expansion team. They (Nashville) should have tried to acquire the panthers or somebody else instead. Who watches hockey in Florida anyway? Other than the retirees from Michigan who watch the Red Wings. Anyway, back to my point.......Kind of like Hartford going to Colorado, get a small team, and make them huge, FAST. Personally, I am a Blues fan. My whole family is from St. Louis, so that is the reasoning. We just always have a hard time winning a cup. We have been the best team in the regular season I don't know how many times, but never can win it all. I am praying for hockey, and soon. I was just up in St. Louis last week and went to the Savvis center, and it was very depressing. Since the preds have been in TN, I have gone to just about all of the Blues vs Preds games. Now, my weekends are boring....Football in the offseason and no Hockey.

Legwand, yes... Upshall even more so. He had an average season at best with the Ads this season. Tootoo didn't really impress me much either (just looking at stats though, so who knows...).

Looks like we're getting closer and closer. I'm saying sometime next week we'll get the press conference we've been waiting on for SO long. It's going to be much like the NFL as far as parity is concerned if you ask me... let's just hope we're not an Arizona Cardinals like team! Of course, I certainly don't think we will be. Willy Daunick had a great article in the Nashville City Paper this morning about why this new CBA is GREAT news for the Preds if it is like it's been said to be. We'll just have to see.

And fuggly, for a little while it looked as if the New Jersey Devils were coming to Nashville. They then happened to win this little thing called the Stanley Cup and those plans accordingly went out the window. So naturally the National Hockey League ticked off Canadians more and gave us a team.

And concerning who watches hockey in Florida... there's at least one person!  ;)  And many thousands more since this team in Tampa... the Lightning I think they're called, it's been so long though, I'm forgetting team names... won the Stanley Cup so long ago.

825690948[/snapback]

Haha....Man I am an idiot. I forgot about the lightning. See how depressed I am? Yeah, I knew about NJ. I thought of another example, too. The motreal expos (MLB) came to Washington DC. They are first in their division this year. Nashville should have waited in my opinion.

• 2 weeks later...
In talking with a close friend who is with Powers Management, he feels things will be all done within the next two weeks.

Comments on Mr. Roenick's comments about the fans????

825695376[/snapback]

Man, I hope so.

Did you happen to see the whole interview/conference? Those comments were really taken out of proportion, but of course everyone will only see the parts where he says "don't come to the games". Roenick is still one of my fav's.

The problem that I have with Roenick, is that he's all about "Ready, Fire, Aim."

I saw the transcript of his remarks. He does talk about "bringing the fans back."

But if that is your point, Jeremy, why do you have the emotional high point of your speech be all about telling those fans (or a segement) to "kiss my bleep"??

Tell me sir, does that comment strengthen or weaken your argument? Which part of your argument would you expect to be reported?

Roenick will be on Sports Center tonight and he'll have a lot of explaining to do. The fans in Philly will be the first he needs to apologize, or clarify, or hope to win back. The other fans in other towns will tell HIM to "kiss their bleeps."

For some reason, what JR had to say didn't bother me too much. He had some valid points. Granted, he probably could have handled the question that sparked the heated response a bit better, but oh well. I really enjoyed the exchange between him and Dan Patrick yesterday on SportsCenter... it was good to see hockey in the light again, regardless of what the situation was.