Power Clean

wbailey201

Power Cleans are the best football lift because they teach hip explosion. Power lifts are much more important to a football player than single muscle training because they involve different groups of muscles working together. I must disagree with you rebel nation you do not get the same results with military, Benchpress than you do with power clean. I agree squats are a good lift and vital to a player but to build true explosiveness and hipflexibility you need to power clean.

I believe it aids in building the "I'm better than you", muscle.

You can do squats, bench press, military press, etc...all things that guys do while working out anyway...and get better results.  :rolleyes:

You power clean fanatics...how often do you see guys grab a 300 lb lineman and lift them over their heads...stop sputtering and just answer the question...

Replicates football...OMG!!!! :lol:

825686599[/snapback]

If thats the case then why is power clean one of, if not the, most important lift along with squats that college coaches look at?

That's the main reason that you don't use your back.

825686759[/snapback]

Leg and hip action-with a little trap action-some back work. I feel that maybe 80% of the lift is done with the legs. Solid 450 squat maxes norming turn in to at leat 255 or more on the clean.

i found power cleans to be very helpful in bulging, herniating, and rupturing discs in one's back

825686632[/snapback]

If you'd stick your chest out and keep you shoulders back you should be lifting the bar with your legs, not your back. Power clean is only bad for you if you don't use correct form.

the power clean doesn't work any specific muscle group- it requires every inch of your body to successfully do it . If my head coach told me that we only had time for 1 lift per week it would be the power clean. proper technique is essential to prevent injury. most kids will try to reverse curl, but what they find out is when they get around 200 pounds, you have to have form. speed and explosion is where this lift translates to the field or court.

#1 Powerclean- Explosiveness, total body workout, encourages discipline to learn the technique and execute it correctly

#2 Squat- Strengthens the Core area by forcing balance and control of the bar through the lift. Packs muscle on to the glutes and thighs. Lengthens, stretches and increases the hamsting muslces to improve speed and explosiveness.

#3 Incline close grip bench press. What better way to mimic the use of your hands and arms for football.

Key to all lifts is explosiveness

#1 Slow start then explode

#2 Slow down, explode up

#3 Slow down, Explode up

Too many wan that huge squat and Bench number when its really explosive power that will improve your onfield play.

saying not to use your back when powercleaning is like telling someone not to swing a baseball bat with their arms. even though you know that you swing with your hips, when someone starts to get tired, bad habits occur. trust me, i know all about the effects of doing a powerclean improper. i messed up a disc in my back doing them the summer before my junior year. i had to play through it for two years and now four years later, my back still hurts when i lift something heavy or run long distances.

their are other workouts to gain the explosiveness ones needs to perform well. i didn't do cleans for my last 2 years and my senoir year alone i had about 125 solo tackles at outside linebacker.

saying not to use your back when powercleaning is like telling someone not to swing a baseball bat with their arms.  even though you know that you swing with your hips, when someone starts to get tired, bad habits occur.  trust me, i know all about the effects of doing a powerclean improper.  i messed up a disc in my back doing them the summer before my junior year.  i had to play through it for two years and now four years later, my back still hurts when i lift something heavy or run long distances. 

their are other workouts to gain the explosiveness ones needs to perform well.  i didn't do cleans for my last 2 years and my senoir year alone i had about 125 solo tackles at outside linebacker.

825687682[/snapback]

you are exactly right. when an athlete gets tired, all of his technique goes out the window. that's why I'll never let my guys do over 5 reps at a time, and not over 80% of their projected max.