Oldest and Longest Running Rivalries

THSVikings2004

Livingston Academy vs. YAI (York Agricultural Institute)  This one has been going on for a while.

825688969[/snapback]

That one probably goes back at least 50-60 years, doesn't it? York's been around since the 1930's, and I'm sure Livingston has, too. Just depends on when they started football.

I know several teams in the Upper Cumberland area started playing a long time ago, but don't necessarily play anymore due to reclassification, etc. Many teams that were in the same district back in the 1960s and '70s are now two to four classifications apart, which means the playing field isn't level anymore.

McMinn Co. and Bradley Central started playing somewhere around 1905. McMinn Co. high school is the oldest school in E. TN it was opened in 1903.

825688893[/snapback]

That's amazing. Have they played every year since then?

Since 1911, TN High and VA High have played every year with the exception of 6 years. A few in the 1910's and in 1943.

89th game will take place at the Stone Castle on Aug. 25th.

That's amazing.  Have they played every year since then?

Since 1911, TN High and VA High have played every year with the exception of 6 years. A few in the 1910's and in 1943.

89th game will take place at the Stone Castle on Aug. 25th.

825689091[/snapback]

That's impressive, too.

The THS/EHS rivalry is the most onesided I've heard of. Does anyone know of such a record? The two schools are within 7/8 miles of each other. They have played every year since East was built (1968). Tennessee High has won every game! This is approaching the same record as NAVY v Notre Dame.

825688967[/snapback]

I've also heard that Elizabethton is undefeated against Daniel Boone.

On the field, I think the TN High/East record stands at 36-0, but in 1999 we had to give them a win via forfeit due to being suspended from the playoffs so they would be eligible to go. The East players don't consider that a win though.

Marion Co. vs South Pittsburg Great atmosphere and rivalry, has been going on for over 80 years now.

825689016[/snapback]

It is said that MC and SP is the oldest rivarly in Tennessee. I guess that part is debatable, but there is no doubt that this is one of the most intense games of HS Football anywhere in the state. Great atmosphere no matter where they play and some really great games over the years between these two.

I don't think the rivalry is as intense now as it once was in the 70's, but it still means alot to both schools, teams, coaches and both communities.