Better Times

I was wondering if anyone knew a good way to get faster times. I'm running about a 17 or so right now and was trying to find a good way to take off a minute or so of my time

825692825[/snapback]

Is your coach giving you any advice or tips for summer training? I would get with him / her and discuss it.

• 2 weeks later...

the only advice I can offer is to run more miles. That's a slippery slope because if you run too many miles you're going to get injured. Take it easy on your runs during the summer and just get plenty of miles under your belt. From my experience you can run sub-16 with JUST distance training. By that I mean 50-60 miles per week. Definitely talk to your coach though.

the only advice I can offer is to run more miles.  That's a slippery slope because if you run too many miles you're going to get injured.  Take it easy on your runs during the summer and just get plenty of miles under your belt.  From my experience you can run sub-16 with JUST distance training.  By that I mean 50-60 miles per week.  Definitely talk to your coach though.

825698304[/snapback]

i've ran cc before and ran 16:07...but im not the smartest kid on the block...how much r u talkin about by too many miles and getting urself injured.

• 2 weeks later...

some people, especially during the late 70s and early 80s ran under the philosophical umbrella of "more is better." That's been proven to not necessarily be the case. For example, people back then would often times run 90+ miles per week in high school...and they would be in excellent shape. Then they would be so "beat up" that their college careers were hit-or-miss. My suggestion is while running in high school to use the summer and winter months to build on your current level of fitness. Then during the season you want to gain strength/speed in order to compete in races. I would not suggest doing ANY speed workouts during the summer...other than MAYBE a 5K race or two just for fun. If you're used to running a lot of miles (40+ per week) then you can extend your weekly "long run" (I do mine on Sunday) each week, or you can try running twice per day a couple times per week (or both). Just run slowly and take it easy...you're playing the heart rate game, remember that. If you wanted to run 15:00 for 3 miles in the fall, you should probably be approaching 60-70ish miles per week by the end of the summer. This is just my opinion. ALWAYS listen to your coach.

I was wondering if anyone knew a good way to get faster times. I'm running about a 17 or so right now and was trying to find a good way to take off a minute or so of my time

825692825[/snapback]

Google -Interval training.

It's a proven way to get your times down. Good Luck!

Introduction

Continuous training is when an athlete exercises in a steady aerobic way and interval training is characterised by repetitions of work with a recovery period following each repetition.

Continuous Training

This can be broken down into the following sub-divisions which have slightly different effects upon the energy pathways.

Running at 50 to 60% of max. heart rate or 20 to 36% of V02 Max. Very easy pace - metabolises fat - aerobic - duration 60 minutes plus. Useful for joggers & ultra-distance runners.

Running at 60 to 70% of max. heart rate or 36 to 52% of V02 Max. Slightly faster pace - burns glycogen and fat - aerobic - duration 45 to 90 minutes. Useful for marathon runners. Improves cardiovascular system - capillarisation

Running at 70 to 80% of max. heart rate or 52 to 68% of V02 Max. 10km pace - burns glycogen - aerobic - duration 30 to 45 minutes - 10km and marathon runners. Improves cardiovascular system - capillarisation - glycogen burning

Running at 80 to 90% of max. heart rate or 68 to 83% of V02 Max. 5km pace - burns glycogen - anaerobic - duration 10 to 20 minutes. Useful for 5km to marathon. Improves cardiovascular system - capillarisation - glycogen burning - lactate tolerance and removal.

Running at 90 to 100% of max. heart rate or 83 to 99% of V02 Max. 800/1500m pace - burns glycogen - anaerobic - duration 1 to 5 minutes. Useful for 800 to 5km. Improves glycogen burning - lactate tolerance and removal

Interval Training

Interval running enables the athlete to improve the work load by interspersing heavy bouts of fast running with recovery periods of slower jogging. The athlete runs hard over any distance up to 1k and then has a period of easy jogging. During the run lactic acid is produced and a state of oxygen debt is reached. During the interval (recovery) the heart and lungs are still stimulated as they try to pay back the debt by supplying oxygen to help break down the lactates. The stresses put upon the body cause an adaptation including capillarisation, strengthening of the heart muscles, improved oxygen uptake and improved buffers to lactates. All this leads to improved performance, in particular within the cardiovascular system.

Before undertaking interval training a few simple rules should be understood.

Undertake a period of Continuous running before starting Interval running

Consider the various elements of the session and ensure that they are within the scope of the athlete.

The length of the work interval, longer gives a better effect.

The pace should be comfortable raising the athlete's heart rate to the required % of MHR (see above).

The number of repetitions should reflect the condition and age of the athlete.

The rest interval should enable the athlete to jog and bring the heart rate down to near 100-110 bpm.

Improvements can be made by altering any of the above variables, however the coach should only change one variable at a time

All changes should be gradual in nature and take place over a period of time.

Ensure the surface to be run on is flat and even. It is usual to do interval training on a track although it can be done on good quality grass playing fields. Roads are not a suitable surface because of the pounding effect.

Circuit training is a common method of interval training.

Edited by rigger101

• 2 weeks later...