Men's Volleyball

snvball12cosby

I've had a lot of boys come up to me and say that they're interested in playing volleyball. I know that it has to go through with TSSAA, but do you think that there are enough boys interested in order to have district games, tournaments, etc.? If men's volleyball would start, who would be hired as coaches? Is men's volleyball pretty much the same as women's, or is it more intense? Post your thoughts!

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've had a lot of boys come up to me and say that they're interested in playing volleyball. I know that it has to go through with TSSAA, but do you think that there are enough boys interested in order to have district games, tournaments, etc.? If men's volleyball would start, who would be hired as coaches? Is men's volleyball pretty much the same as women's, or is it more intense? Post your thoughts!

825696933[/snapback]

Pure and simple, it won't happen. Why? In most areas, football dominates fall. Women's volleyball barely gets any respect as it is, so why would men's volleyball get as much or more? Don't get me wrong, I'd like to see volleyball expand. Men's HS volleyball is strong in two regions of the country- the Northeast and the West. Guess what sport doesn't dominate the Northeast and West, but dominates the South? You guessed it- football.

Pure and simple, it won't happen. Why? In most areas, football dominates fall. Women's volleyball barely gets any respect as it is, so why would men's volleyball get as much or more? Don't get me wrong, I'd like to see volleyball expand. Men's HS volleyball is strong in two regions of the country- the Northeast and the West. Guess what sport doesn't dominate the Northeast and West, but dominates the South? You guessed it- football.

825696937[/snapback]

I believe Title IX is the biggest reason it won't happen.

I believe Title IX is the biggest reason it won't happen.

825697046[/snapback]

Knowing I am at risk of getting toasted on this one but what the heck...

Please do not blame Title IX for the inequity of sports in our high schools and colleges. Blame big time football and basketball. Title IX simply guaranteed our girls' right to play at all by putting money in the hands of athletic departments to provide those opportunities. If men's programs get cut (or never started) it is because existing men's programs are sucking up the funds. Girls programs STILL do not get much of the money they need. Maybe it's different in other counties, but in Wilson County you will never see a volleyball team ride a school bus or van to a match or tournament...that responsibility falls back on the parents. How many men's football or basketball teams can say that?

::Now donning my flame-proof suit:: :)

Please do not blame Title IX for the inequity of sports in our high schools and colleges. Blame big time football and basketball. Title IX simply guaranteed our girls' right to play at all by putting money in the hands of athletic departments to provide those opportunities. If men's programs get cut (or never started) it is because existing men's programs are sucking up the funds. Girls programs STILL do not get much of the money they need. Maybe it's different in other counties, but in Wilson County you will never see a volleyball team ride a school bus or van to a match or tournament...that responsibility falls back on the parents. How many men's football or basketball teams can say that?

::Now donning my flame-proof suit::  :)

825697134[/snapback]

Well said. Very well said. I've seen plenty (one is too many) of schools where girls sports get zero respect. I'm aware of one instance where the baseball field got fenced and the guys got several helpful practice items, while the girls had no outfield fence for two or three years. And the girls had to fundraise for a pitching machine. The guys had theirs bought by the school. You can see it in the coaching too. Football takes great care in selecting a leader, while with volleyball, new teachers are "contracted" into taking the position. I'm aware of one such teacher who just got put into the volleyball coaching job, and this person has barely ever seen a match played. Fortunately they have a good assistant coming in to help.

The point is, play4keeps is absolutely right. Without Title IX, a lot of opportunities for girls sports not just in this state, but across the country, still wouldn't be realized.

Edited by TheGreatLineJudge

::Now donning my flame-proof suit::  ;)

825697134[/snapback]

Wasn't blaming - just thinking that if you add a men's sport, you will need to offset that with a women's...and that's not likely to happen.

As far as "sucking up the funds", when you have 2000 - 3000 people in the stands at $5 a pop to see a football game - they are bringing in a lot of money that most of the athletic budgets are based on. I don't believe that is their fault - this is football country - like it or not. If the administrators don't share the money with other programs, they are at fault, not the football team.

Our AD is a woman and maybe that makes a difference, she is VERY supportive of all sports and attends almost every event - even if they are on the same day in different location, she makes an appearence if possible.

We take a bus to all matches and if we are fortunate enough to qualify for state competition - the football team charters us a bus and picks up the hotel bill.

TGLJ - maybe a topic on budgets would be interesting???

As far as "sucking up the funds", when you have 2000 - 3000 people in the stands at $5 a pop to see a football game - they are bringing in a lot of money that most of the athletic budgets are based on. 

825697458[/snapback]

Maybe "sucking up" wasn't the right word but according to Title IX the money spent must be equitable and football costs A LOT of money. Heck, there are what? 60 guys on a team, and all that equipment, not to mention field maintenance. I don't imagine that they use ALL the gate money but I'm sure there isn't a bunch left over. I think our football team even gets their lettermen jackets bought for them. Our girls volleyball team got sweatshirts last year. Canvas totebags the year before.

I guess I get a little sensitive anytime Title IX is brought up as there is a strong faction in Washington that would like to see it abolished. As a woman who entered HS around the time Title IX was introduced, I have strongly encouraged both my daughters to take advantage of what I was denied.

On a positive note, they let us serve concessions ONCE A YEAR, to raise fund and if we get opening night then we do pretty well. Our Fine Arts department (band/choir/drama) get 100% of indoor concessions...all the time. Even when we host our annual volleyball tournament we don't get to use the concession stand or any of the proceeds.

Ah, well, Ghost, I think maybe a budget topic isn't a bad idea after all ;)

It just takes some dedicated parents...check out the attached link, which references Colorado's high school boys volleyball. This from a state that doesn't exactly have a huge population. Although, the website doesn't list all of the teams, there are approximately 15 - 20 teams in the state. There is hope if there are parents who want to make the effort...regardless of football, basketball, baseball, etc...

http://volleyball.about.com/gi/dynamic/off...w.chsbva.org%2F

Edited by Cowboys Up

It just takes some dedicated parents...check out the attached link, which references Colorado's high school boys volleyball. This from a state that doesn't exactly have a huge population. Although, the website doesn't list all of the teams, there are approximately 15 - 20 teams in the state. There is hope if there are parents who want to make the effort...regardless of football, basketball, baseball, etc...

http://volleyball.about.com/gi/dynamic/off...w.chsbva.org%2F

825697931[/snapback]

Again Cowboy is right on.

Colorado HS Boys VB had its origin from one lady mostly. Nancy Holm was a past pro player, national official, club coach and mom of a boy who played Jr. Olympics and wanted HS ball. What she did is how I have heard boys ball has started in other states too.

1. Get some boys playing somehow, somewhere. There has to be an interest. She started this venture after coaching with Dig To Win (boys version) in Colorado Springs. We had 4 tms so there were boys from HS's all over town who would be the anchors at their school for the formation of a HS club team (like chess club, that kind of club).

2. Nancy got multiple HS's to have a club and set up a little schedule. Low cost, informal at the start.

3. They showed that there was legitimate interest then went to Nat. Federation in Colorado and pleaded their case with a proven record that it works. If Title IX permits it is an easy sell to the schools, the equip. already exists and the other expenses are minimal. The girls players love having a boy's team in their school, both programs benefit from the mutual stir of interest and support.

*There were 3 boys tms in this region last season, one was OK, one was good and one would have beaten most all girls tms in the state ..so, if anyone is really interested there is a structure in place. Contact Brenda at www.srva.org

I'm all for men's volleyball in the state. By virtue of what I do, I am compelled to say this: If we ever get men's volleyball, I would practically beg TSSAA to put guys volleyball in either the winter or spring. We are absolutely OVERWHELMED as officials with trying to meet demand. Nashville has 180+ schools and a touch under 80 working officials to fill the gap. There are certain days of the week where everybody seems to want to have their match. We simply do not have the manpower (much less quality manpower) to meet demand for men's volleyball on top of already high demand of officials in the fall.

Food for thought, from a practical logistical standpoint.

I'm all for men's volleyball in the state. By virtue of what I do, I am compelled to say this: If we ever get men's volleyball, I would practically beg TSSAA to put guys volleyball in either the winter or spring. We are absolutely OVERWHELMED as officials with trying to meet demand. Nashville has 180+ schools and a touch under 80 working officials to fill the gap. There are certain days of the week where everybody seems to want to have their match. We simply do not have the manpower (much less quality manpower) to meet demand for men's volleyball on top of already high demand of officials in the fall.

Food for thought, from a practical logistical standpoint.

825698025[/snapback]

Men's college ball is a spring sport, so if it ever happens here in HS, that would probably be the way they would go.

Men's college ball is a spring sport, so if it ever happens here in HS, that would probably be the way they would go.

825698049[/snapback]

Well, the only other spring sports that I know of are baseball and softball, am I right? So, not that many men play baseball... And the ones who play basketball, but not baseball can have a chance to give volleyball a try! It could work out... :P