• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pacman questions teammates' loyalty

By JIM WYATT

The Tennessean

Aug 10 2005

NASHVILLE - When the Titans used their first-round draft pick on cornerback Adam ''Pacman'' Jones, they envisioned him bonding quickly with his new teammates and becoming a big contributor on a reshaped defense.

Barely a month before the season opener it's clear that plenty of patchwork will be needed - on the field and in the locker room - once Jones arrives in Nashville.

Players have been critical of Jones during his contract holdout, now in its 13th day. This week, he fired back.

''It really is biting at me,'' Jones said by phone.

''My teammates, I don't think they've been as loyal as they should have been in this situation. A lot of other guys around the league are holding out and my teammates are the only ones that are saying negative stuff about me.''

Jones said he is particularly perturbed with veteran linebacker Keith Bulluck.

''It bothers me that I am not on the field,'' Jones said. ''But then I have to hear Keith Bulluck talking about me, how he doesn't even know who Pacman is.

''As far as my teammate and everything, that will never change. But as far as the respect level off the field and me calling him for advice, that will never happen now.''

Jones, the No. 6 overall draft pick, remains without a contract. His agent, Michael Huyghue, plans to be in Nashville later this week to meet with Titans General Manager Floyd Reese, but as of Tuesday the two sides were no closer to a deal.

''No letters, no talks,'' Reese said.

Jones is working out in Jacksonville and keeping up with the Titans via the Internet. He said he's tried repeatedly to get in touch with Bulluck and has also noticed comments from defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth, who was a holdout in 2002.

''The kid, what's his name? Haynesworth? He missed four days. The little stuff he is saying is irrelevant,'' Jones said.

''But Keith saying he is not going to call me Pacman, he is going to call me Adam - 'Who is Adam? I don't know if this guy can help us' - that is a little outrageous for my teammate to say that.''

Between practices on Monday, Bulluck said he's been playing ''phone tag'' with Jones.

''I am in camp. I don't know what he is doing all day,'' said Bulluck, who was a 2003 Pro Bowl selection and is regarded as the leader of the defense. ''So if I call him when I have time off and he calls me back when I am at practice, I can't control that. If he really needs to get in touch with me he knows how.''

Said Jones: ''He called me at 7 o'clock in the morning when he knows I am not going to answer the phone. I have called Keith about 20 times and left messages. Every time I call he doesn't answer. I have gotten to the point where I am not calling him any more.''

Jones said if Bulluck is trying to pressure him to report to training camp by criticizing him, it's not working.

''There ain't no pressure because Keith has never been in the situation I am in - Keith ain't never been drafted high,'' Jones said. ''I don't feel any pressure. I play football, and pressure on the field is irrelevant.''

Bulluck was the No. 30 overall pick in 2000.

As for how Bulluck might react to his comments, Jones said: ''It really doesn't matter. I hope he responds like a man and tries to call me and talk to me and see what is going on with me. But for the most part I am not here to please Keith or nobody, I am in Tennessee to play football ... That is the only reason.''

Told of Jones' comments after Monday's late practice, Bulluck appeared angry but did not comment. Coach Jeff Fisher said Jones and his future teammates are speaking out of frustration.

''Once he gets here things will settle down,'' Fisher said. ''They want him here. They are going to show him the way once he gets here. Pac has a responsibility and only one responsibility, and that is to come here and get to work. That is all he should be concerned about.

Bulluck said he's not sure how Jones will be received when he is finally in a Titans uniform and blamed Huyghue for not having Jones in camp by now. Jones used to be represented by Bulluck's agent, Gary Wichard, but Jones fired him not long after the draft to go with Huyghue.

''It is not really up to me, it is the whole team. I don't get into hazing or things like that, but it is how the team will embrace him,'' Bulluck said. ''He is just going to have to endure whatever comes with holding out for two weeks and after that we'll move on. He is going to be with us for years and is going to help us.

''He doesn't have to answer to me. He has to answer to his teammates. I am just one player on this team.''

Draft pick sues accusers claiming conspiracy, slander

By TERESA M. WALKER

AP Sports Writer

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) -- Tennessee's top draft pick responded Thursday to the men who accused him of hitting them at a nightclub by suing them on charges of conspiracy, defamation and slander.

With his agent in town to try to finalize his contract, Adam "Pacman" Jones had his lawyer file the suit in Davidson County Circuit Court against club manager Robert Gaddy and his brother Lamar Woodson. Jones is asking for $7.5 million in compensatory and punitive damages.

Agent Michael Huyghue said the lawsuit was filed "to serve notice that Adam will not be the target of false accusations."

Gaddy pressed charges July 13 and had Jones arrested on a charge of misdemeanor assault and a felony count of vandalism.

In the lawsuit, Jones claims he only had a verbal disagreement around midnight in the club where he was holding a private party after a Destiny's Child concert. Gaddy accused Jones, the sixth overall pick in the draft, of hitting him and ripping off a gold chain that has not been found.

The lawsuit accuses Gaddy and Woodson of conspiring to cause Jones' damage and demanded that Jones pay them $250,000 to end the charges.

The charges were on the docket in General Sessions Court on Thursday afternoon, but Huyghue said the case would be postponed. He and Jones' attorney plan to meet with the district attorney while in town to pursue possible criminal actions.

This guy is such an embarrassment already, as well as a girly man. :lol:

the guy belongs in a "Lil Jon" video, not on a football field with professional people...

825714566[/snapback]

Agreed.

Fisher: Time running out for top draft pick to help Titans

By TERESA M. WALKER

AP Sports Writer

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) -- The Tennessee Titans are heading into their third week of training camp, and coach Jeff Fisher said Saturday that means time is running out for top draft pick Adam "Pacman" Jones to help them this season.

Jones' agent left Nashville on Friday after negotiating with Titans general manager Floyd Reese for a couple hours. The sixth pick overall and top defensive player taken in the draft is one of four draft picks who remain unsigned.

Fisher said he has to assume now that the cornerback will not be in this week, which means he will miss half the preseason games. If Jones is signed in time to play at San Francisco on Aug. 26, the coach then has a tough decision.

"Do we rush to get him ready to see if he can compete, help and contribute at the start of the regular season? If I do that, he's going to have to play an awful lot. Then I'm taking time away from people who've been here, who I know are getting better," Fisher said.

The Titans drafted Jones hoping he would become one of their starting cornerbacks after losing both starters in the offseason. They also want the player out of West Virginia to become the punt and kick returner to boost units that were among the league's worst in 2004.

"We'll deal with it when he gets in but with each passing day, it's harder for me and the staff to think he's going to help contribute in the return game. ... This league's different than where he's used to playing, and there's an adjustment period," Fisher said. "We'll have to wait and see."

Jones has spent the past three weeks working out on his own in Jacksonville, Fla., and his agent said Jones is catching punts off a machine.

That's not good enough to convince Fisher, who set return records while a player with the Chicago Bears in the 1980s.

"I haven't seen him catching punts ...," Fisher said. "The last thing I'm going to do is put him out there and have one bounce off his chest. He needs to prove he can consistently catch it."

Edited by cavfanfolife

I mean come on...this guy is a joke...  catching punts off a machine... what good does that do... its a little bit different when people are running full speed at you, with a knuckle ball punt that you cant read, waiting to take your head off... I wish this guy would realize not only is he hurting the Titans but he is also hurting himself in the future... other coaches look at his actions and have to turn their heads if they were interested in the first place... this guy needs some serious help... But hey I guess he doesnt need all the money the Titans would give him, he can stay with Lil Jon and scream YEAAAA at the top of his lungs...

825716419[/snapback]

Or sue bar owners? :D