Media coverage of volleyball

Dukie

I was wondering who does the best job covering high school volleyball in the state of Tennessee.

825701587[/snapback]

I think (oooh, scary!) that no one really does a good job covering vb. Very little coverage here in middle Tennessee.

That being said, if I had to pick SOMEONE in Nashville, it would probably be the Nashville City Paper. I find more articles or items regarding volleyball there than I ever do in the Tennessean.

As far as local coverage, the Lebanon Democrat never misses a game in Wilson County and gives VERY good print to Wilson Central, Friendship Christian and Lebanon. They really cover the matches not just report the scores.

I think (oooh, scary!) that no one really does a good job covering vb. Very little coverage here in middle Tennessee.

That being said, if I had to pick SOMEONE in Nashville, it would probably be the Nashville City Paper. I find more articles or items regarding volleyball there than I ever do in the Tennessean.

As far as local coverage, the Lebanon Democrat never misses a game in Wilson County and gives VERY good print to Wilson Central, Friendship Christian and Lebanon. They really cover the matches not just report the scores.

825701592[/snapback]

Usually most of the papers here in Northeast Tennessee that cover volleyball are the smaller papers. One exception is the Bristol Herald Courier, which does a great job of covering the sport in Northeast Tennessee and Southwest Virginia. Our local paper, the Mountain City Tomahawk covers it well. The Elizabethton Star also does a good job with Elizabethton High School even though their program is not very strong. The Star pulled out of Johnson County last year, but did a good job covering us too, The rest of the papers really don't cover it well if at all.

Figuratively speaking, a lot of newspaper people can't even spell 'volleyball', much less report on it. That being said, I echo some names already said. Nashville City Paper does a good job, as does the Chattanooga paper. Honorable mention to Memphis Appeal. Jeff Lockridge at the Tennesseean does an acceptable job. I don't know where the guy was from, but there was a guy at the TACA all star match that told me he'd never even SEEN volleyball before. How is he supposed to report effectively, you ask?

No joke, we sent him to PageMan!

• 3 weeks later...
If you are from Chattanooga, did you see the replay of the TN / GA All-star match on channel 46?  Talk about announcers not knowing much about volleyball??  At least have someone doing "color" who has a clue.  I realize it's very low budget but still...............

825702165[/snapback]

I work for a local radio station in Cumberland County, and we're trying to do a better job with volleyball coverage. What is it that VB fans r lookin for??? :(

I work for  a local radio station in Cumberland County, and we're trying to do a better job with volleyball coverage. What is it that VB fans r lookin for??? :(

825710120[/snapback]

Great that you have this attidude about coverage!

Here is an idea for radio: Players and parents want to hear the girls' names much more than who won or some stats. So, what if you let listeners call in with nominations for "Dig of the day", "Roof of the week", "Hardest Kill in Cumberland Co.", "Match of the week" ....etc. When they call in you record them saying it then play a few every day at a preset time so VB fans know when to listen. Accuracy doesn't matter, just let as many kids/parents/fans as possible hear their names on air! This should create a stir and talk in your community ...and a loyal listener segment.

Of course also- if you "train" fans to call in results right at the end of the match AND if you announce it, you will get more listeners on match nights.

Good luck.

OH, better still. Put your listeners in the gym (like the hospitilized dad in Hoosiers) by allowing fans to call in during the matches with their "Dig of the Day" nominations, or predictions on outcome.

Brilliant post, ComPassion! I think if you excite the people enough via radio, we can get them in the door to see the games in person. Thank you, RadioJet, for wanting to share volleyball with the world (starting with Cumberland County)!

825710268[/snapback]

Thanks for the ideas guys!! I think this is something we can build on thumb