Grizzlies, Heat Make Blockbuster Trade

First, Memphis traded Bonzi Wells to Sacramento for Bobby Jackson and Greg Ostertag...then this bombshell hits today.

EDIT: whoops, 13 players...

Memphis Grizzlies

To: Eddie Jones, Raul Lopez

From: Jason Williams, James Posey, Andre Emmett, Greg Ostertag

Miami Heat

To: Antoine Walker, Jason Williams, James Posey, Andre Emmett, draft rights to Roberto Duenas

From: Eddie Jones, Rasual Butler, Qyntel Woods, draft rights to Albert Miralles, 2 second-round picks

Boston Celtics

To: Curtis Borchardt, Qyntel Woods, draft rights to Miralles, 2 second-round picks

Utah Jazz

To: Greg Ostertag

New Orleans Hornets

To: Rasual Butler, Kirk Snyder

Miami sells their future for a really, really, really good chance to win right now.

Boston gets a little back for a player they weren't going to re-sign -- though they're probably going to cut Woods.

New Orleans took on a pair of contracts to make it work.

Memphis improves its cap stuation, since Jones comes off sooner than Williams or Posey. They also made their roster a better fit for Mike Fratello's system as Jones is an outstanding defender and there's only four SG/SF's to get minutes to instead of five or six.

Utah gets a large body back in the fold.

Edited by Opperman

• 3 weeks later...
I dont see the sense in this trade for the Grizz unless it was just to cut salary!

825733820[/snapback]

I think it does make some sense. Williams and Posey were troublemakers last season, so West wanted them gone. Considering they got Eddie Jones and a little more payroll flexibility back for what they were trying to get rid of, I think they came out ok.

The four guys they were trying to get rid of were Williams, Posey, Wells, and Swift -- Swift left as a FA, and they got Bobby Jackson and Eddie Jones back for the other two, and they used a large chunk of the freed-up money for Damon Stoudamire.

I think it does make some sense.  Williams and Posey were troublemakers last season, so West wanted them gone.  Considering they got Eddie Jones and a little more payroll flexibility back for what they were trying to get rid of, I think they came out ok.

The four guys they were trying to get rid of were Williams, Posey, Wells, and Swift -- Swift left as a FA, and they got Bobby Jackson and Eddie Jones back for the other two, and they used a large chunk of the freed-up money for Damon Stoudamire.

825736263[/snapback]

Bobby Jackson is a decent player, but Jones and Stoudamire are two guys that have seen their better days!