Tennessee offered to play at Bristol

timbdp

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The owner of Bristol Motor Speedway has offered Tennessee and Virginia Tech $20 million each to play in the track's infield

825731464[/snapback]

This game needs to happen. What a game this would be!!!! Knoxville about an hours drive to Bristol, and Blacksburg, Va. only 2.5 hours from Bristol. I am a U.T. football fan but also have ties to V.T. My father went to Tech and I have enjoyed rooting for them as-well. With the support both teams have around the Bristol area and the fact that the crowd would be 160,000 plus it just makes since that these teams should play each other. Especially with the national attention these 2 teams receive. Both are atop there respected conference each year.

Let's do the math. 

2 times 20 million = 40 million

40 million divided 200,000 fans (which is high) = $200 per person

I don't see how in the world the economics work out.

825731975[/snapback]

Concessions, TV rights, advertising, parking..............it'll work out.

That said, I never see it happening.

I remember this idea being thrown around a few years back when Michigan built on to there stadium, but nothing ever came of it! Is this official offer? I think it would be great for College Football and the way I understood a few years ago when this talk was going on was that seating would be added to accomadate more than 200,000 people, if this is still the talk, would it be something to be a part of that?

You can see it now!

http://www.gospeedway.com/bristolnumber1/M.../m082303RWA.jpg

Not to mention how good of a game that would be! :)

there just seems to be something fishy about this.....because there is no way this guy could make any money off this....I know both athletic departments would love the money, but they better be careful

825735036[/snapback]

It does seem fishy....I can't imagine 160K people paying the amount it would take to support this type of game.

How much revenue would the city of Knoxville lose to move a home game away from Neyland Stadium?

The cost to prepare a speedway for such an event must be significant.

No way he could make money.