Karns plays at Knoxville Halls

fairplay2121

Why would any of these polls make sense? You can't use polls in football at any level. You can't compare two teams or any number of teams unless they have played identical schedules. Head to head doesn't always dictate the better team. My son's team lost to a team 20 - 0 in youth football only to tie the same team 2 weeks later. Then they played again the next week and my son's team won. My point is football is not a beauty contest and can't be treated like one. Someone always has an agenda. (Like selling more newspapers in the Sevier County area)

Take heart ZCAR at least we have a playoff system to prove who is the better team on the field unlike th insane NCAA.

The biggest problem with the High School System is the Classification System. Having teams that are unable to transfer in talent because of firm boundaries playing against teams that can welcome any amount of talent because it has an

"open zone"  (Sigh) We live in an imperfect world. I am now getting off of my soap box.

825757257[/snapback]

How very true. Although the old NCAA format did give head to head a lot of importance for ranking teams. Again a great post Fairplay I agree totally on your view on the open school policy and massaging the student limit to gain a lower classification to be more competive in football. I think it has definitely helped Carter this year.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How very true. Although the old NCAA format did give head to head a lot of importance for ranking teams. Again a great post Fairplay I agree totally on your view on the open school policy and massaging the student limit to gain a lower classification to be more competive in football. I think it has definitely helped Carter this year.

I am not sure who has open transfers. I know Halls is a tough school to get in if you don't live in Halls. I have heard that schools like Maryville will take anyone for a fee. I have to say I am not well versed on the matter. I am sure it should be the same for all. That should be the TSSAA's job.

I hope to see a good football game Friday night. I am starting to hear rumblings about Halls on other threads and that is a good thing for a change. Youth football is up this year as far as participation and wins are up in many of those youth leagues.

I believe if Halls and can go 7-3 or 8-2 and go a couple of rounds into the playoffs, it will only breed more excitement and optimism about football around here. Therefore every win is important. Even these non region games. Especially the home games.

Go Red Devils

Fairplay you are correct when stating a exciting year for Halls will get kids interested in playing at the park level and later not looking around to go to another school but staying as a red devil. It is still hard to say whether Halls will go 7-3 or even 8-2 but if they keep playing every game with the confidence they have now they should do well. Yes, it is good Halls is getting talk on other teams threads which seem to be positive. The main thing now is to stay focused and take one game at a time. I really like our defense and they are the main reason we are were we are. On offense I would still like to see them open it up a bit. Hope they do Friday. Go Devils.

Lucas is throwing pretty good, and Halls has Reese,Black,Reinhart,and Terd Ferguson in the backfield! They have a good defense also, don't know anything about Karns and really don't need to Halls beats Karns in everything they play so why make ftball any difference! Shout out to my biggest fan Poppa Ferguson!

Halls wins this one!

Halls 31

Karns 14

I love to hear Halls fans talk about "opening up" the offense and balancing our attack. I did a little researching on the ole Prep Extra and here is what I found:

Maryville (best in the state) 829 yds rushing 455 yds passing=65% yardage from rushing

Central (3rd best in the state) 632 yds rushing 431 yds passing=60% yarage from rushing

Clinton (can't line up) 267 rushing 220 passing=55% yardage from rushing

Drum roll...

Halls (3-1 for the first time in forever) 649 yds rushing 362 yds passing=64.19% yardage from rushing

Pass Attempts Maryville 50 Halls 41

Be careful in High school football when you talk about balance and opening things up. The most "balanced" team in your region is Clinton. Halls is right on par with Maryville and Central in terms of how they get their yards. Halls just needs to get more yards.

With regards to passing, it is alot easier said than done. Can your receivers catch? Can your quarterback read coverages? Can your line protect? Smart coaches know that you can't simply say run a route, pass it, and block whoever and it happen. Maybe the Devils are doing the things that they do best (3-1). An old teacher of mine said "Be who you are". Maybe the Devils are doing just that.

I love to hear Halls fans talk about "opening up" the offense and balancing our attack. I did a little researching on the ole Prep Extra and here is what I found:

Maryville (best in the state) 829 yds rushing 455 yds passing=65% yardage from rushing

Central (3rd best in the state) 632 yds rushing 431 yds passing=60% yarage from rushing

Drum roll...

Halls (3-1 for the first time in forever) 649 yds rushing 362 yds passing=64.19% yardage from rushing

Be careful in High school football when you talk about balance and opening things up. The most "balanced" team in your region is Clinton. Halls is right on par with Maryville and Central in terms of how they get their yards. Halls just needs to get more yards.

With regards to passing, it is alot easier said than done. Can your receivers catch? Can your quarterback read coverages? Can your line protect? Smart coaches know that you can't simply say run a route, pass it, and block whoever and it happen. Maybe the Devils are doing the things that they do best (3-1). An old teacher of mine said "Be who you are". Maybe the Devils are doing just that.

Drum roll...

Good post RD94 stats don't lie. But I think we were talking about the last game when we completed one pass out of four for 50 yards which happened to be a touchdown. Even on the playback on channel 7 Tony Basillo noted it wasn't illegal to throw the forward pass. He like a few of us think we could do a little more in the air. But a great post nevertheless.

Drum roll...

I am more of a smashmouth kind of guy anyway so I like to see Halls run. Balance is important however. And I will throw a stat back at you. 18 (nearly half) of Halls passes were against Central when playing from behind. This skews the stats somewhat. There isn't balance. But at this level, not many teams will have 50/50 balance. Halls passes enough and effectively enough that other teams must respect it and that is enough.

I am more of a smashmouth kind of guy anyway so I like to see Halls run. Balance is important however. And I will throw a stat back at you. 18 (nearly half) of Halls passes were against Central when playing from behind. This skews the stats somewhat. There isn't balance. But at this level, not many teams will have 50/50 balance. Halls passes enough and effectively enough that other teams must respect it and that is enough.

I don't really get what you are saying about playing from behind because in the first half the game was tight. In the second half, the game was "relatively" tight. Halls had TWO TD passes in the first half against Central and opened it up early because it was there. If you can run the ball and it's working, why change? If you can throw it and it's working that's fine, but if you can't throw it as good as you can run it, then running it a majority of the time is essential. Halls is 3-1 and whatever system they're using playcall wise is obviously working. I think most people thought this would be a down year for the red and at this point in the season that they'd be 1-3 instead of 3-1.

I agree with the last post that this year was a year of transition not only for the players but the new coaching philosophy instituted after the Shephard era. Last year was sad. The boys played hard but the offense lacked the intensity it does this year. There is no doubt the running game with Ferguson,Reese,Rhinehart & Black is the bread and butter. But did we really feel safe untill Lucas passed for the touchdown as time expired in the third quarter against West. Don't get me wrong I think the coaching staff is calling the right plays and I'm excited like everyone else we are 3-1 with the respectable loss against Central. I just think we might be able to go to the air more in certain situations. I'm thinking how impressive that first touchdown against Central was when Reese was utilized out of the backfield. Could the TE Cox be used the same way? Although Dayton is having a great year hauling down the 40+ yarders teams are going to get wise to this and start double teaming him. Especially, Powell & Maryville. In reality its still great being a Red Devil fan this year and yes I'm hoping for upset of one of the last teams I mentioned. Also check this out from the NEWS SENTINEL'S JAMAL HUDSON Props

-Props to the Halls defense for making adjustments and shutting down West's rushing attack. After a sluggish first quarter, Justin Reese and company stepped their game up and kept the West offense off balance.

-Props to West's special teams for keeping Halls return man Dusty Ferguson unsure for most of the game. Ferguson did have one big return, but on the majority of punt return opporunities, West's coverage kept Ferguson unsure of whether he wanted to return of call for a fair catch.

-Props to Halls' Trey Lucas for keeping his composure and finding Daniel Dayton for a 50-yard touchdown pass at the end of the third quarter. That play turned out to be the game-winning score

Flops

-West's Ryan McGrew. I counted four times the referees had to separate McGrew from a Halls player after the whistle had blown. Too much trash talking, no substance. It's ok to talk a little smack, but make sure you back it up with a win.

-Halls coaching staff should've thrown the ball more. Trey Lucas showed he has the arm as he completed a 50-yard touchdown pass. Only four passing attempts is not enough for Lucas.

Posted by Jamar Hudson at 06:51 PM | Comments (1)

:D:D

Edited by ZCAR