Glad to see playoff time finally here. Looks like a wide open race, I see flaws in all teams, it's who can best put it all together in the next 4 weeks.

AL-Yankees--I wonder about Yanks pitching--Can Small and Chacon with save them in playoffs like they did in regular season? Can they find enough pen to get to rivera? Johnson looking good, Mussina not? Plenty of offense, always a contender. Good shot at winning it all, could lose in first round to Angels.

Red Sox-Once again, pitching questions--Is Schill back and what about that pen? Red Sox will have to hit their way to repeat, and they just might--or they may not get past the White Sox.

Angels--After Colon and Lackey?, always comes back to pitchng. Vlad can carry this team, but if you can shut him down, offense might fold. Angels won it all recently and could again, but can they beat the Yanks?

White Sox--I jusdontno. Beat everybody most of the year, hit a skid, but closed strong, but do we really believe in White Sox? Worry more about their offensive production and lack of playoff experience (6 of 8 teams are repeaters from last year). I put them in they are going to have to show me category, and they just might.

NL-Cardinals--Worry about pitching depth and production of Walker and Sanders who were injured most of year. Encouraging to see them both swing the bat well this weekend. Worry about carpenter's last 4 starts after clinching after he had 22 consecutive quality starts. Cards chances probably depend on how well starting pitching performs, if Carpenter and Mulder can lead and they can get good starts from up and down 3rd and 4th starters, I like their chances, If pitching crumbles, it could get ugly some where along the line.

Astros-Pitching scary--funny even though Cardinals finished 11 games ahead of them and handled them well head to head, they scare me the most. If can contain Berkman, Ensberg and Biggio somewhat, offense will suffer as early in the year. Not real strong between starters and Lidge, that's where Cards were able to beat them last year. And Lidge has looked more human the past few weeks. he is major nasty when on. Astros could pitch themselves all the way, or maybe bow out to Braves in first round.

Padres--82 wins, give them less chances of winning than any of the 8, but you never know. 73 Mets won 82, then beat a 99 win Reds team and carried defending Champ Oakland to 7 games before bowing out. Don't look for Padres to make such a run, but who knows. Had winning record against Cardinals this year, just hope they don't take them out in the 5 game playoff.

Braves--So as not to upset the Braves nation, I will only say the Braves are the greatest team in the history of baseball from the greatest division in the history of baseball so no one can possibly hope to beat them. With that being said, they have a legitimate shot at winning it all and a good shot of going down to Astros like they did last year. I just hope they can take the Astros out this year.

My conclusion (or really just guess). Like Angels and W Sox chances, but can anyone really believe it won't be Yankees Red Sox again. As much as it pains me to say so, I see yanks over Red Sox in Al Championship.

NL, like I said, I fear the stros and don't want to upset Brave Nation, so I'm saying Cards/Braves in NLCS with Cardinals moving on to World Series again. Don't give Padres a good shot, but Cards, Astros and Braves battle will be tough for whoever comes out on top. Which means padres probably win, No, No.

Cardinals are only team who has played Yankees more than once in World Series to have winning record against them 3 series to 2. But since last time they met was 64, so not much relavance there. I give 7 of the 8 teams a good shot at winning it all, so picking soley with my heart, Cardinals defeat yanks in WS.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

STL is the last team to be worried about. 1st in the NL in ERA and 3rd in runs scored. Finally we go into the playoffs with GREAT pitching. The only guy that we have to worry about coming through is Pujols, and that isn't much of a worry. By the way, did you see Walker's night the other night? 2 HR is pretty nifty. I wouldn't worry about him either.

I found an article on ESPN.com that was pretty intresting if you have about 15 minutes to go through all of it. Most of you may have seen it already if you are like me and have ESPN as your home page :thumb: . I don't know what I would do without my sports. Here is the link, however.....

Playoff Theories

Make sure you go all of the way through. I think there are 8 theories.

Cardinals vs. Angels in the World Series.

MARK IT DOWN!! (<--Sarcasm, I hate when people do that) :lol:

STL is the last team to be worried about. 1st in the NL in ERA and 3rd in runs scored. Finally we go into the playoffs with GREAT pitching. The only guy that we have to worry about coming through is Pujols, and that isn't much of a worry. By the way, did you see Walker's night the other night? 2 HR is pretty nifty. I wouldn't worry about him either.

I found an article on ESPN.com that was pretty intresting if you have about 15 minutes to go through all of it. Most of you may have seen it already if you are like me and have ESPN as your home page :thumb: . I don't know what I would do without my sports. Here is the link, however.....

Playoff Theories

I am a little anxious. Neither Carp nor Mulder have looked great the last month, Morris scares me to death, and San Deigo has a nice little 1-2 punch they can throw at you.

Granted I am the same guy that thre up double digit times in the NLCS games 6 and 7 last year too. :)

Playoff Theories

Was glad to see Walker and Reggie hitiing the ball well. I always worry, heck I'm worried about the Padres. Pitching must hold up.

Gook Link--Thanks.

I am a little anxious. Neither Carp nor Mulder have looked great the last month, Morris scares me to death, and San Deigo has a nice little 1-2 punch they can throw at you.

Granted I am the same guy that thre up double digit times in the NLCS games 6 and 7 last year too. :lol:

The records for september are meaningless. The Braves had a not so good record as well, but I expect a lot from them in the first round. In the link I provided has a theory about the records for September. I was like you, until I read that, and now I have no worries at all. Read that part, and put your mind at ease :thumb: .

September/October records:

Yankees, 20-9

Red Sox, 18-13

White Sox, 19-12

Angels, 21-9

Braves, 15-14

Cardinals, 15-13

Astros, 19-11

Padres, 16-14

This is theory #3.

The records for september are meaningless. The Braves had a not so good record as well, but I expect a lot from them in the first round. In the link I provided has a theory about the records for September. I was like you, until I read that, and now I have no worries at all. Read that part, and put your mind at ease :thumb: .

September/October records:

Yankees, 20-9

Red Sox, 18-13

White Sox, 19-12

Angels, 21-9

Braves, 15-14

Cardinals, 15-13

Astros, 19-11

Padres, 16-14

This is theory #3.

I read that during lunch. Some of their conclusions I agree with, others I don't. And I know that LaRussa probably told his guys to take it easy, and Walker had admittedly said he's not been pushing too much, but I would have liked to have seen Mulder and Carp's final starts go better. I just know that San Deigo is dangerous in this series just because they can throw a good 1-2 punch at you. Plus, we've played horrible during the day this year.

i know yall have been dying to hear my predictions, right? well here you go.

AL:

the Red Sox will take care of business against the White Sox. Bostons 1 weakness is pitching but Chicago doesnt have any superstar bats in their lineup like Vlad or Arod so i think the Redsox caught a break by dodging the Angels. the White Sox got where they are thanks to great pitching but down the stretch everybody struggled except for Contreras(whom struggled the rest of the year) so thats not a big advantage for them anymore. the Redsox have ruffed up the greatest closer of all time, Mariano Rivera, many times in the past year so i doubt Jenks(a rookie) is gonna feel too comfortable the first time he faces David Ortiz or Manny Ramirez with their season on the line. i think the august/early september White Sox was closer to the real thing than what we seen the first half and the last week...Red Sox in 5.

the Yankees just know how to win when it counts. i hate them, i wanna pick against them, the Angels have been on a hot streak, their future Cy Young winner Bartolo Colon gets to pitch twice if needed, but i still cant pick against the Yankees and feel confident about doing so. you know...it just wouldnt feel like October unless the Yankees and the Redsox played in the ALCS. Yankees in 5.

NL

the Cardinals move on to the NLCS. i dont think i need to go any farther do i? however...if Carpenter keeps pitching like he did down the stretch this will be the only series they win.

the Braves and Astros will be a good one. the Astros pitching staff has been amazing this year, but down the stretch it looked like Clemens' age finally caught up to him and he became hittable again. him and Pettite are 2 of the best big game pitchers out there right now, and Oswalt has had Cy Young type numbers the last 2 season, but i still like the Braves in this one. in a 5 game nailbiter, but i like the Braves.

come on Tuesday!!!

One down, 10 to go. Cardinals win game 1 vs Padres, Reggie drives in 6 and Carpenter throws 6 scoreless innings.

Now the Sox and the Sox do battle.

Cardinals looked great for most of the game until they almost choked in the 9th. still, its gotta be a sigh of relief for you Cards fans to see Carpenter back in Cy Young form again.

Edited by btowntigers

Cardinals looked great for most of the game until they almost choked in the 9th. still, its gotta be a sigh of relief for you Cards fans to see Carpenter back in Cy Young form again.

Eh, if your a Cards fan you know that izzy is going to provide drama.

Peavy is out for the playoffs for San Deigo with a fractured rib. This series just because a lot less stressful.

Cards, W Sox and & Yanks take first step.

That's what is great about post season. Every game means so much and can change a series. There is a big difference in 1-1 and 0-2 so game 2 is huge for Pads, R Sox and Angels (maybe not the R Sox, they like being near elimination) :thumb:

On Radio this morning point was made if Yanks continue to pitch like they did last night, they will win it all. Then someone else pointed out If W Sox hit like they did yesterday, they will win it all. Neither is likely to happen , but strong opening statements from Yanks, W Sox and Cards.

DISCLAIMER: This is not a slight to Braves and BFL, the Braves have not played yet so can offer no discussion on their playoff performance. And there really are other teams besides the Braves.