CLOSED SCHOOLS

Red Rebels

On 1/17/2019 at 8:54 AM, rlh said:

That is odd because Taft was never a TSSAA member.  TSSAA allowed teams to play them as a courtesy. 

Well we had the courtesy to play them on their field in 1987.Only team that i know of that actual played them in the prison.It was something else for sure!They were on our schedule thru 1989.They were all home games after the 87 game tho.

Edited by orngnblk

3 hours ago, orngnblk said:

Well we had the courtesy to play them on their field in 1987.Only team that i know of that actual played them in the prison.It was something else for sure!They were on our schedule thru 1989.They were all home games after the 87 game tho.

OnB...is telling it like it is pertaining to Taft.  They also bout split our RB in two on one occasion during the game, shoved him way out of bounds right into a set of guide wires of a utility pole...gfd709 can even tell ya what one of guards on the sideline told him, cause believe Coach told you all it was just a bunch of runaways and delinquents that were there.

GB is 3-1 versus Taft...1987 W 48-14...1988 L 14-18...1989 W 14-6...1990 W 54-14.  The game played at Taft occurred the latter half of October.

I've heard a couple of stories about games with Taft from some Zebras i know. If I'm not mistaken, both stories happened at Cannon Co. but i know 1 did for sure. A kid for Taft had a long run for a TD and he never stopped. Ran straight through the endzone and into the woods. The 2nd, the lights went out and they said immediately they heard several shotguns being clicked and guards shouting everyone get down! Crazy! I couldn't imagine actually playing there. 

10 hours ago, BCB~MVP said:

I've heard a couple of stories about games with Taft from some Zebras i know. If I'm not mistaken, both stories happened at Cannon Co. but i know 1 did for sure. A kid for Taft had a long run for a TD and he never stopped. Ran straight through the endzone and into the woods. The 2nd, the lights went out and they said immediately they heard several shotguns being clicked and guards shouting everyone get down! Crazy! I couldn't imagine actually playing there. 

I've heard about the first one before but never really heard where it occurred.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 5/2/2019 at 3:38 PM, Red Rebels said:

wqwzme.png 

The original football field is where the Park & Recs Building sets and ran back to the hill where the small gravel road comes off of Jett Road. It was called the Rock Pile because all the players picked up rocks before the games that popped up all the time. They eventually lost that field after 1942 when an elementary building was built on that site which was later torn down for the Park & Rec Building. Everett played all their home games from 43 to 46 at Maryville, Maryville College and the fairgrounds on East Broadway where Dollar General sets. 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 10/22/2005 at 4:18 PM, COMEGETSOME07 said:

In Giles County there used to be alot of small schools:

Lynville High Tigers (Richland)

Campbellsville High Bears (Richland)

Boedenham High Hornets ???

Pulaki High Bobcats (Giles Co.)

Elkton High Elks (Giles Co.)

Minor Hill Don't know the mascot (Giles Co.)

That's all the ones I know.

Lynnville was actually Jones High School at Lynnville. They were purple and gold. Last football team was in the mid 70’s. My dad was on it.  All that’s left is the old high school field and the AG department shop. 

Campbellsville was blue and white. Didn’t have a football team and would co-op to Jones. Someone turned what was left of the school into a house  

Beech Hill also closed to help form Richland. Unsure of their mascot. 

Bodenham was the Hornets and located right on highway 64. 

Minor Hill are the Wildcats. 

Elkton and Minor Hill are still K-8 schools. In some sports, like football, they combine to be the South Giles Eagles in middle school sports. 

Haylong High Tigers (Red and White) and Clarke Training School (Blue and White) believe they were also the Tigers combined after desegregation to make Mount Pleasant High Tigers (Red, Blue, and White) 

• Like 1