CLOSED SCHOOLS

Red Rebels

KWoodruff, didn't Coach Smallen coach at Goodlettsville? The name sounds familar.

Did you say where you went to school?

Ernest Smallen did coach at Goodlettsville, from maybe '71 until sometime around '80, I'm not sure exactly when. I think he coached in Mississippi between Cumberland and Goodlettsville.

One of his Cumberland players was Carlton Flatt.

I went to MBA (Class of '79)

Couldn't possibly agree more...there are no neighborhood rivalries anymore. The zones changing constantly hasn't helped either. There will never be anymore games like when Madison, Goodletsville, Litton, Donelson, etc. played each other because it's not my neighborhood vs. yours anymore.

Let's develop that a step further. With the consolidation of the schools, only the very top athletes can participate. High School football (or baseball, or anything else) ceases to be an extracurricular activity geared towards character development, and becomes a pre-professional activity. The young men who play do receive this benefit, but with so few public schools, the benefit doesn't go to many students.

I like good football as much as anybody here, but I grew up watching AA football for the most part, with average size young men playing for their communities. I miss that.

Let's develop that a step further. With the consolidation of the schools, only the very top athletes can participate. High School football (or baseball, or anything else) ceases to be an extracurricular activity geared towards character development, and becomes a pre-professional activity. The young men who play do receive this benefit, but with so few public schools, the benefit doesn't go to many students.

I like good football as much as anybody here, but I grew up watching AA football for the most part, with average size young men playing for their communities. I miss that.

Agreed...no community support is also why 16 people will show up to watch 2 undefeated Metro teams play and 5000 will show up to watch a winless small town school play. Thanks Avon Williams! :lol:

Wallace School, Nashville

Hume, Nashville...now Hume Fogg

Fogg, Nashville...now Hume Fogg

Morgan School, Petersburg

Messick, Memphis

Memphis Prep

Skyview, Memphis

Murfreesboro Central

Memphis Tech

Mooney School, Franklin

Purdy?

Nashville Cathedral

College Grove

Hillsboro School, Liepers Fork

Bethesda School?

Natchez, Franklin?

Ramer?

Alpine?

shadow, You are so right about the Central High Golden Tornadoes. Also, enjoyed some great basketball games at that little cracker box gym. Had the high tile walls and fans hanging over the top. Great environment. As you mentioned, a wonderful setting for a school. Oh, for the good ole days.

We called the gym at Nashville Central the Bath Tub.

Very well said and I agree. I played for a small high school many years ago. So long ago that there were no classifications. Consolidation does knock out many the opportunity to play, however there are many more sports to choose from at most schools now than could be supported at the smaller schools. I played basketball and was fortunate enough to have my college education paid for by playing in college as well. We did not have soccer, track, wrestling, swim, golf, tennis, softball, or volleyball teams as most larger schools have now. I often wondered if I could have been any good in distance running in track but since we had no track team I'll never know. So there are some advantages to consolidation as well.

Wallace School, Nashville

Hume, Nashville...now Hume Fogg

Fogg, Nashville...now Hume Fogg

Morgan School, Petersburg

Messick, Memphis

Memphis Prep

Skyview, Memphis

Murfreesboro Central

Memphis Tech

Mooney School, Franklin

Purdy?

Nashville Cathedral

College Grove

Hillsboro School, Liepers Fork

Bethesda School?

Natchez, Franklin?

Ramer?

Alpine?

Wallace? Mooney? That's going back a few years. And in today's trivia question, Mooney is the predecessor of what current school? First prize is an June Bowen authographed demerit slip.

And if you mention Cathedral, you need to add St. Bernard's.

Very well said and I agree. I played for a small high school many years ago. So long ago that there were no classifications. Consolidation does knock out many the opportunity to play, however there are many more sports to choose from at most schools now than could be supported at the smaller schools. I played basketball and was fortunate enough to have my college education paid for by playing in college as well. We did not have soccer, track, wrestling, swim, golf, tennis, softball, or volleyball teams as most larger schools have now. I often wondered if I could have been any good in distance running in track but since we had no track team I'll never know. So there are some advantages to consolidation as well.

Likewise, your point is valid. And I'm sure the move to consolidation was well-intentioned, even if one opposes it. My major qualm with it lies in the fact that so many adolescents in these large schools are forced to spend a major part of their lives in complete anonymity. I don't think it's a coincidence that Colombine is a huge school. There are obviously a host of other issues at work there, but in a smaller school, someone might have noticed some of the emerging problems. I'll descend from my anti-"big school" soap box now.

Actually, most of the DuPont zone (Hermitage) relocated to McGavock. Only the village and rayon city are zoned to HuntersLane.

Haynes is located on Trinity Lane in somewhat North Nashville. It was open as a high school before desegregation. It is a middle school now although called Gra-Mar

Hey Rigger...I saw that your mother was a Resha. Who are you LOL

I am a Resha.

I don't know if they are the same people but I attended Hiwassee College with Kenny Teffeteller, and Terry Rutherford.

Horace Maynard high school which is now Union County also had a girl named Katrina Burchfield who is in the record books as the first player to hit a three point shot in a Tennessee high school basketball game. Seems that the season started on Friday night, and Horace Maynard moved the game to Thursday during school, so it was the first game played in Tennessee the first year for three pointers, ( 1984 I think ) The girls game was first and Katrina hit a three pointer early in the first quarter. If I am not mistaken her mother's name was Robin. The game was against Wynn of Habersham which was located in Campbell County and no longer exists.

Three others Norma, Pruden, and Huntsville high schools, which I think were in Scott County. You got to be old school to remember those, from the 60's.

Big Daddy,

Burchfield is around my age (33) or that of my younger brother who played for Rutledge in the mid 90s (31) and then she played at WSCC...the first three's were in 87 or 88 if memory serves for high school and most elementary and middle schools.